Revolution Trains announce Class 175 'Coradia' and Class 180 'Adelante' DMUs in N & OO Gauge.

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold

5 hours ago, TomScrut said:

175-180-route-map-1.0-1.png

The diagram on the website pretty much says it all TBH as to why these are good choices IMO.

you can add Wolverhampton to crewe and crewe to Chester on the ATW/TFW route map (and possibly squeeze on Chester to Stockport and Llandudno)

also shift Hereford across a bit so the ATW/FGW lines intersect as both could be seen there at one point 

• Like 1

Are you guys trying to make me go bankrupt?

I did seriously not expect this announcement - thank you very much! And of course, I've just gathered parts together to make a 3D printed kit of the 175... looks like I'll have to put that aside now and fund the rather delicious models you'll be bringing!

The question for me isn't 'which one?'. It's more a case of 'how many?'...

Following with great interest! 

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, The Black Prince said:

certainly apply as I do like the 180

52 minutes ago, Padishar Creel said:

but always liked the look of the 180

I think it is a really smart looking unit, and being in era and region means it's a pretty much must have for me on those grounds. Don't think I could quote swing a pair, GC and HT.

1 hour ago, 37038 said:

Having worked on the 180 units at Northern, I hope the model spec includes a smoke unit!

Coming back from KX on a HST one day, we stopped on Welwyn Viaduct for best part of an hour as an 180 has spread engine parts over Welwyn North station and the fire brigade was clearing up damping down - interesting smell.

• Funny 1

Well this is welcomed and I hope they sell like hot cakes to show that modern units really do have a home.

They're not really something I'd be interested in initially but I'll be keen to pre-order both.  Just hope I can afford both in a couple of years...

It's just the question of which liveries.  I like the GC 180 but I think First will win my money.

• Agree 1

To be fair to the units they did suffer from build quality issues from day one. Once Old Oak had got to know them they did settle down (although still not great) into traffic.

Being spread across the country into multiple micro fleets never helps reliability. 

The 175s are testimony to this dedicated depot at Chester with staff who have worked with the units from day one. Solid work horses on the North & West line, and into North and South West Wales it’ll be a sad day when their withdrawn. 

8 hours ago, woodenhead said:

I was rather hoping for a DMU that suited BR blue, but these will be popular choices, certainly people have been asking for a 175 for a long time now.

Maybe next time eh :)

Same, either DMU or O/H EMU. There were a few 'hard workers' which lasted years

3 hours ago, 43179 said:

Oh lovely - nice to see another generation of multiple unit emerging out from under the radar.  Will the FGW 180s come with the original coupling covers?

(and a signed photo of Paul Tyreman) 

Jon 

If you don't get a signed photo, your life will be incomplete, and you'll be going nowhere.

• Funny 7

On 25/02/2022 at 22:32, woodenhead said:

I was rather hoping for a DMU that suited BR blue, but these will be popular choices, certainly people have been asking for a 175 for a long time now.

Maybe next time eh :)

Pretty much my thoughts too. I had seen mention that a 1st Gen DMU like a 117 might be in the offing based around the drivetrain of the 128, and that would appeal right through from about 1960 into the 1990s and preservation beyond that. However we know where Ben and Mike's area of knowledge and expertise is substantially based, and the two models announced certainly fit well with that, hopefully both will do well.

I do reflect that as a result of RevolutioN we have seen a lot of products that would never have otherwise seen the light of day in N, and in that respect it has been good for the scale as a whole regardless of era. That said, I do also begin to ask myself if this has contributed to Bachmann seemingly being more reluctant to invest significantly in new N products now, instead looping back round to upgrade existing and established models. If this is true, then the impact has gone beyond just the niche or modern items and to their portfolio as a whole. 

As far as transition diesels are concerned, most of the more significant classes have been picked off by either Farish or Dapol with only the 21-29s and 22 23s left (if one is to ignore the class 15 and 16 as just too "niche") so there is no big "prize" left anyway, but will Sonic pick up the slack as far as steam locos go if Bachmann are scaling back? There are many steam models there still to pick off and judging by sell through of the 8Fs no lack of demand.

I mean who would have ever dreamed of a Jones Goods RTR in 00, yet Rapido are doing one!!

Oh and of course huge congratulations to RevolutioN for a thoroughly deserved N manufacturer's award. 

Roy

Edited by Roy L S
Correction - Class 23 not 22
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Roy L S said:

Pretty much my thoughts too. I had seen mention that a 1st Gen DMU like a 117 might be in the offing based around the drivetrain of the 128, and that would appeal right through from about 1960 into the 1990s and preservation beyond that. However we know where Ben and Mike's area of knowledge and expertise is substantially based, and the two models announced certainly fit well with that, hopefully both will do well.

I do reflect that as a result of RevolutioN we have seen a lot of products that would never have otherwise seen the light of day in N, and in that respect it has been good for the scale as a whole regardless of era. That said, I do also begin to ask myself if this has contributed to Bachmann seemingly being more reluctant to invest significantly in new N products now, instead looping back round to upgrade existing and established models. If this is true, then the impact has gone beyond just the niche or modern items and to their portfolio as a whole. 

As far as transition diesels are concerned, most of the more significant classes have been picked off by either Farish or Dapol with only the 21-29s and 22s left (if one is to ignore the class 15 and 16 as just too "niche") so there is no big "prize" left anyway, but will Sonic pick up the slack as far as steam locos go if Bachmann are scaling back? There are many steam models there still to pick off and judging by sell through of the 8Fs no lack of demand.

I mean who would have ever dreamed of a Jones Goods RTR in 00, yet Rapido are doing one!!

Oh and of course huge congratulations to RevolutioN for a thoroughly deserved N manufacturer's award. 

Roy

The 22 was done by Dapol, I've heard a rumour of a 15 from Rapido after the 28 - that would be nice.

I am watching developments in OO and some interesting announcements, having held off changing scale back to OO when the new Bachmann Peaks arrived last year alongside the 24/1 and Heljan 25s I am now firmly staying in N.  I don't need there to be lots of new models just a steady stream over time will do.

• RMweb Gold

I was bought a new Pentax digital camera by the most lovely woman on the planet. I had to go to Welwyn Garden City to do some work on the 25kV Feeder Station there, so I took this on the 20th February 2009. I was delighted to see this on the ECML because by then I was working and living in the West Country and hated having one of these poxy 5 car rattle cans in place of an HST. For that reason, I'm out for one of these, but I am definitely in for a TfW 175/1. Indeed I was on one today (actually yesterday) on my way to Glasgow. 

WelwynGC_.20090220.jpg.a7409db4c0c71099f849fa1e60480f2d.jpg

Edited by 96701
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, woodenhead said:

The 22 was done by Dapol, I've heard a rumour of a 15 from Rapido after the 28 - that would be nice.

I am watching developments in OO and some interesting announcements, having held off changing scale back to OO when the new Bachmann Peaks arrived last year alongside the 24/1 and Heljan 25s I am now firmly staying in N.  I don't need there to be lots of new models just a steady stream over time will do.

Hi Woodenhead

Thank you for pointing out my error - now corrected :good:.

To be honest I have enough locos and rolling stock to last me well into my dotage and then some, so I am pretty much in the same situation. I can also (as Bachmann are it seems) keep myself occupied by fitting sound to existing models, the size of the forthcoming Zimo MS500 will put smaller locos into scope, and also more diesels very easily using the 6 pin version.

However it is always nice to have something new, even if only 1 or 2 locos a year, so I am hoping Rapido and Sonic will fill the void for steam if Bachmann choose not to add to their portfolio any time soon. That said, I would have seen a new "Peak" as an absolute no-brainer and one to launch before anyone else does a "land grab" on it.

Regards

Roy