Revolution goes nuclear - again!

AY Mod

6 hours ago, newbryford said:

Not totally relevant for my Deadmans Lane layout, although there is a faint possibility that a delivery run from WH Davis was diverted via Toton/Long Eaton/Derby.... passing the RTC site on the way.

Had a look on Flickr (although I half expect you have already too) there was a delivery run that went through Derby, although not sure if the geography as to whether it would have passed the RTC. Likewise there were some Carlisle -Derby brake test runs for a couple of them too.

On 07/11/2022 at 07:31, Revolution Ben said:

Hi there,

No.  Each wagon is supplied with a scale tail lamp but it is a cosmetic non-working accessory.

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben. I must say the painted sample looks impressive, very tempting. Can I just ask (again) about the tail lamp?

In your earlier reply you mention it’s an accessory. I notice on the painted sample each end has a tail lamp on the bracket, how are they fitted to the lamp bracket? 

I’d like to place an order and intend using it either singularly or part of a consist so just wondered if it could be used with or without the tail lamp?

Apologies if I‘ve misunderstood.

Kind regards. P.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Purnu said:

Hi Ben. I must say the painted sample looks impressive, very tempting. Can I just ask (again) about the tail lamp?

In your earlier reply you mention it’s an accessory. I notice on the painted sample each end has a tail lamp on the bracket, how are they fitted to the lamp bracket? 

I’d like to place an order and intend using it either singularly or part of a consist so just wondered if it could be used with or without the tail lamp?

Apologies if I‘ve misunderstood.

Kind regards. P.

Hi there,

Each model is supplied with a cosmetic tail lamp in the accessory bag that can be push fitted or not to the lamp iron.

I suspect the sample has them prefitted as it was felt easier to send that way.

cheers

Ben A.

• Thanks 1

Hi Ben & Mike,

The painted sample looks very impressive with all that printed detail. I’ve already pre-ordered them knowing how much work & research with DRS has gone into these. My Cumbrian coast layout has virtually everything I need RTR now.

All the best

Mark

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 23/11/2022 at 23:59, newbryford said:

The 4mm FNA-D decorated samples look particularly tasty.

https://us8.campaign-archive.com/?u=f24e36cafcafabf07d09722c1&id=d59a908322

Not totally relevant for my Deadmans Lane layout, although there is a faint possibility that a delivery run from WH Davis was diverted via Toton/Long Eaton/Derby.... passing the RTC site on the way.

Mike and Ben kindly lent one for me to practice the delivery run......

Hopefully this will link to a video.

https://fb.watch/h4YvtwtSs8/

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

I just wanted to thank @newbryford for running one of our decorated FNA-D samples (and our SR manager's saloon 975025 'Caroline') at Warley this weekend on his superb Deadmans Lane layout, which deservedly scooped the Best Modern Image Layout Award.

IMG_1698.jpg.d153b5c5ac790d54e89810fa4c39c7df.jpg

The layout is also being shown at the Blackburn MRC Xmas show this coming weekend (December 3/4) and we foolishly allowed him to keep the sample to run it there too!

Incidentally, as this is a sample it is missing the checkerplate pattern engraved in the top decks, which will be on the production models which are due early in the New Year and can be pre-ordered for £32.95 from Revolution direct or via our network of retailers.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 13

One for the Revolution lads.

So I've decided to unlock a new level of rivet counting for myself and wanted to see what running numbers of wagons you were releasing that I can see had made it to Valley on the North Wales flasks. Y'know, because why not?

You've got quite a few numbers that work for me. One of them being listed as running number ending in 006-7, but shouldn't that read as 006-5 as below? 

image.png.60279c8c93cc2a39d74798cddb275a89.png

I'll get me coat.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jack,

Good spot - that is a website typo.  The deco artwork and our flyer has it correct, as does the description linked to the listing.  We will amend the listing asap - thanks for spotting it!

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Revolution Ben
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I came across this You Tube video showing a variety of nuclear flask trains running on the Bridgwater trains, carrying spent fuel from Hinckley Point.

https://youtu.be/WFffmowWEoY

As can be seen the new flasks ran alongside the older type (as previously produced by Bachmann/Farish) in 2018 and 2019.  It also shows that on the occasions when two or more flasks are in the consist one is nearly always acting as a barrier or spare, as it carries no hazard warnings.  This is represented by our version 3 incidentally.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Revolution Ben said:

It also shows that on the occasions when two or more flasks are in the consist one is nearly always acting as a barrier or spare, as it carries no hazard warnings.

The trains with two flasks don't appear to have any pattern over the positioning of the loaded wagon - first or second appears equally likely. There's also several instances with single loaded wagons, and trains of two wagons with both appearing to be loaded without any barrier wagons.

I'd be surprised if DRS didn't know before hand how many flasks they're expecting so I wonder if one(s) without the orange haz-chem signs carried an empty flask to the loading point. Remove loaded flask from HGV into empty wagon, load HGV with empty flask from second wagon for returning to the power-station for re-filling.

Steven B.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Revolution Ben said:

Hi all,

I came across this You Tube video showing a variety of nuclear flask trains running on the Bridgwater trains, carrying spent fuel from Hinckley Point.

https://youtu.be/WFffmowWEoY

As can be seen the new flasks ran alongside the older type (as previously produced by Bachmann/Farish) in 2018 and 2019.  It also shows that on the occasions when two or more flasks are in the consist one is nearly always acting as a barrier or spare, as it carries no hazard warnings.  This is represented by our version 3 incidentally.

cheers

Ben A.

Having acquired various books and magazine articles on the DRS era of nuclear trains the good news is that there are almost unlimited variations and both FNA and FNA-D in the same consist is not uncommon. In the nuclear flask article in MLI issue 249 there is a consist going from Torness to Carlisle in 2019 with 2x FNA-D and 1x FNA, top and tailed by 68's. There is also a shot of a 1x KUA with 2x FNA's!

Which basically means get as many flask wagons etc as you can as almost anything is prototypical!!

• Like 1

Ben - Happy New Year to you and the Revolution Trains team.

Thank you for the above very helpful video. You mention “on the occasions when two or more flasks are in the consist one is nearly always acting as a barrier or spare, as it carries no hazard warnings.  This is represented by our version 3 incidentally.” Could this please be made clearer in the shop’s N and OO pages for the FNA-D? Both pages list the eight versions but make no mention of any version having detailing differences. Also, after the OO page’s tweak, the N listing of version 3 still needs the ending amendment from 006-7 to 006-5.

As well as the combinations of old and new flask carriers, the video also shows some PFA flats. I hope someone enterprising will produce N versions of the low level waste platforms and loads: Nupak and Novapak cubes, Dragon and tall 20’ grey, blue and maroon containers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, ModRXsouth said:

Ben - Happy New Year to you and the Revolution Trains team.

Thank you for the above very helpful video. You mention “on the occasions when two or more flasks are in the consist one is nearly always acting as a barrier or spare, as it carries no hazard warnings.  This is represented by our version 3 incidentally.” Could this please be made clearer in the shop’s N and OO pages for the FNA-D? Both pages list the eight versions but make no mention of any version having detailing differences. Also, after the OO page’s tweak, the N listing of version 3 still needs the ending amendment from 006-7 to 006-5.

As well as the combinations of old and new flask carriers, the video also shows some PFA flats. I hope someone enterprising will produce N versions of the low level waste platforms and loads: Nupak and Novapak cubes, Dragon and tall 20’ grey, blue and maroon containers.

Thanks for noting the corrections on the website.

Revolution has the PFA flats in production (they are being made for us by Accurascale) as well as the low height nuclear waste containers, Cawoods coal containers and gypsum containers.  The other containers used by the nuclear industry may be a little too niche even for us - I understand some of the more esoteric types work on very limited and/or short flows.

cheers

Ben A.

Ben - 

Thank you for your reply, but could you please still clarify if version 3 (no orange hazard labels) is the only different one across the 8 N gauge FNA-D versions?
I pursue this because the OO gauge FNA-D ordering notes add the line “… and prototypical variations in lettering and warning panels.” Granted that the greater size of OO gauge gives scope for mixing label locations, but the N gauge VEA vans, KUA carriers and forthcoming PFA LLW containers feature variations in label positions, all adding to the individual character of the wagons you are producing for us.

Thanks.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi ModRXsouth,

When you go into the 4mm options menu and select a particular wagon a graphic image comes up showing exactly the configuration of markings.

This option may not be activated yet on the N gauge versions, but the markings will be the same across the scales on the same wagons, so you can use the 4mm graphics as a guide.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Revolution Ben said:

Hi ModRXsouth,

When you go into the 4mm options menu and select a particular wagon a graphic image comes up showing exactly the configuration of markings.

This option may not be activated yet on the N gauge versions, but the markings will be the same across the scales on the same wagons, so you can use the 4mm graphics as a guide.

cheers

Ben A.

Having been indecisive about which one to get before, I’ve now ordered a second one (version 3 this time) to have both options 😀

As an aside, there is a great aerial drone video today by DestinationTrainsPlanes on YouTube of Crewe Basford Hall yard showing the DRS sidings (former “Crewe Coal Sidings”?) with a line of FNA-D’s sitting behind a 68.

Edited by norfolkchinaclay
Text
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, norfolkchinaclay said:

As an aside, there is a great aerial drone video today by DestinationTrainsPlanes on YouTube of Crewe Basford Hall yard showing the DRS sidings (“Crewe Coal Sidings”?) with a line of FNA-D’s sitting behind a 68.

Do you have a link? - I can't track it down...

Ben - 

“When you go into the 4mm options menu and select a particular wagon a graphic image comes up showing exactly the configuration of markings.”

Perfect - many thanks. The differences in the white Radsafe, yellow radiation and orange Hazchem labels, plus bogie plates can indeed be seen. How lucky we are to have this variety in N (and OO!). Now for the choices and ordering decision…..

• Thanks 1