Highland Railway 'Jones Goods' 4-6-0 in 00

rapidoandy

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/06/2023 at 08:05, adb968008 said:

Guard irons were gone in the second video.. when they are not there, its very visible their absence.

interesting dilemma..

They aren't there in the latest video they've uploaded of the 2nd EP either. 

Be interesting to know whether they'll include them as an optional accessory, imagine they will.

It's just a guess on my part but looking at that video it might be possible it could negotiate 3rd radius curves with them on, but that is a guess, and assumes it's running on 3rd radius on the video and not 4th radius or above.

https://youtu.be/ea59e2mCzP8

Edited by drt7uk

• RMweb Gold

Leaving the decision up to the end-user would seem sensible in this case. 

It won't be the first r-t-r loco so provided, by any means.

A particular example that springs to mind is Hornby's Lord Nelson. The prototype has very large front steps that can be problematic in model form. Indeed, Bachmann avoided the issue on their earlier model by omitting them altogether! ISTR adding a set to one by adapting some Comet LMS tender steps.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Leaving the decision up to the end-user would seem sensible in this case. 

It won't be the first r-t-r loco so provided, by any means.

A particular example that springs to mind is Hornby's Lord Nelson. The prototype has very large front steps that can be problematic in model form. Indeed, Bachmann avoided the issue on their earlier model by omitting them altogether! ISTR adding a set to one by adapting some Comet LMS tender steps.

John

Similarly Bachmann's Midland 1P has the cab steps that are seperately fitted for 'display purposes only', but I attached them with a tiny bit of black tac and they are fine even on 2nd radius curves, on my layout at least!

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 28/02/2022 at 17:21, GeoffBird said:

Does the green liveried 1890`s version really not have any "Highland Railway" markings?

I copied the loco on the cover of "Highland Railway Liveres" book. No markings. But, it is a print! 

20200615_162004.jpg

20200615_162030.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
On 01/07/2023 at 09:15, drt7uk said:

They aren't there in the latest video they've uploaded of the 2nd EP either. 

Be interesting to know whether they'll include them as an optional accessory, imagine they will.

Yes, most likely they will be included as an optional part.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 09/06/2023 at 15:35, Buhar said:

I'm sure I heard "how's the Kirtley goods coming on?" in the background chat.

Alan 

This video was filmed on our club layout. We was discussing one of our members projects.

A couple of the rapido workers are members at our club but we refrain from asking about rapido projects unless they are ones that are announced 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 02/06/2023 at 07:21, Buhar said:

I was fairly certain that would be the case, although I didn't know wingplates were sometimes regained. Choices have to be made and while the Big Goods was photographed a lot some are not great quality and would not have helped to ascertain details across the whole locomotive and tender. Looking at my own collection, the livery style is sometimes not discernable let alone tender type.

Alan

I was looking at this again and found an example of a loco which lost and then regained wingplates (other than the obvious example of 103 when BR restored it).

112 AKA 17925 sported lined Drummond livery with no wingplates, then got them back in LMS days (with smokebox numberplate), before losing them again (as well as the HR chimney) in its final LMS form.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

The most exciting part about the latest Rapido Newsletter, a presence at Model Rail Scotland from the team with a running sample of Jones Goods.  Can we hope that this may be a full liveried sample? 😉

Some teases about announcements too.  If we can draw some conclusions based on which event they may be announced at, Rapido could make me a very happy man! 

Off to go get those brass Caley Coaches kits built....

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, JonathonAG said:

Off to go get those brass Caley Coaches kits built....

Aha!

Casting a spell to encourage an announcement of Caley stock

Mind you, a 439 would be nice

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

23 minutes ago, Caledonian said:

Aha!

Casting a spell to encourage an announcement of Caley stock

Mind you, a 439 would be nice

That, or at least providing a good 1960's railtour recreation for when these Jones Good's finally hit my diorama... 😉

If it were to cast a spell on Rapido, my inbox is open now so they can save me the pain of some brass soldering 🤣

• Like 3

12 hours ago, scots region said:

Especially since DJH is allegedly winding up. 

Well, I've already got two DJH Jones Goods (I was intending to turn one of them into a Loch, but haven't got around to it) and two 439 class kits, all more or less unmade.  There are one or two I missed out on, but they're no longer available anyway.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

22 hours ago, JonathonAG said:

That, or at least providing a good 1960's railtour recreation for when these Jones Good's finally hit my diorama... 😉

That, I've always thought pointless and even silly. 

Let me be more explicit. If anyone [you or anyone else] wants to run a railtour recreation, pairing say a Jones Goods with a Class 37 and blue and grey coaching stock - great. Its your layout and it'll no doubt look good.

The problem I have is with manufacturers producing 60s railtour stock in place of originals, a perfect example being the NBR Class C/J36 which Hornby produced a couple of years back. Maud not only has a "modern" livery, but lacks the Westinghouse pumps carried in North British service - yet there is an LNER version which does.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

But Rapido are making versions of the Jones Goods in original HR condition, as well as the well known preserved livery. So I don't understand the issue specific to this loco?

Edit: Yes, it has happened in the past and does sometimes still happen. But I still feel we've turned a corner in recent years when it comes to pre-grouping RTR. Yes, back in the day we got NBR C classes, LNWR Coal Tanks, GER C53s, etc only in grouping, nationalised, and preservation liveries. But since then it has got better, and manufacturers should be commended for doing so. Bachmann making LBSC H1/H2s, CR 812s, MR 1Ps, LNWR Improved Precedents, etc in proper pre-grouping condition. Rapido, Accurascale, etc doing the same.

Edited by Fair Oak Junction
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

There aint, in this instance, cos they're being sensible and presenting originals.

The trouble is when, like Hornby, a manufacturer turns out the modern version but not the original.

Mind you, that's a symptom of the way things are moving and more power to Rapido. Once upon a time modellers were expected to model what they see now or remember from a few years back. However, now that original steam is getting back beyond that horizon there's more scope for pre-grouping modelling.

I can remember seeing a very distant B1 when I was a kid, and a Peckett shuffling around the yard opposite my Uncle's house, and that's it, so I model steam now because I'm interested in it as a historical event, not to recreate a memory, and from that point of view pre-grouping railways are far more interesting than BR

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 minutes ago, Caledonian said:

There aint, in this instance, cos they're being sensible and presenting originals.

The trouble is when, like Hornby, a manufacturer turns out the modern version but not the original.

Mind you, that's a symptom of the way things are moving and more power to Rapido. Once upon a time modellers were expected to model what they see now or remember from a few years back. However, now that original steam is getting back beyond that horizon there's more scope for pre-grouping modelling.

I can remember seeing a very distant B1 when I was a kid, and a Peckett shuffling around the yard opposite my Uncle's house, and that's it, so I model steam now because I'm interested in it as a historical event, not to recreate a memory, and from that point of view pre-grouping railways are far more interesting than BR

To reply to both your postings.

Far be it a Jones Goods with blue grey stock or such, I'm looking at having the 1960's version paired with two preserved Caledonian coaches on my diorama?  Why?  Well it fits in with my main modelling period, which is mid 50's to mid 60's Scottish Region steam.  An entirely accurate train formation historically.  While it may bore you to see modelling of this period, I quite enjoy it as it showed the perseverance of Scottish Pre-Grouping designs.  Almost poetic that the last two Scottish engines on the books were J36's.  The rather flamboyant and beautiful designs stood out well against the more rugged V2's, Black 5's etc...

The Caledonian Coaches are high up on the list as an active SRPS member too, as will allow me to slowly increase my collection of rolling stock I've worked on.  I already have a DJH kit of No. 55189 (as I have been personally involved both times during preservation to have it run in BR Black), but any manufacturer that gets round to a '439' will have my money for a Caledonian Blue (dark) as preserved, LMS Crimson and BR Black versions! 

To tackle your gripe about the Hornby J36, the rebuild that Reid undertook was physically so different that the continuation of classing them as 'J36' was just a clever way of accounting within the NBR, effectively a new engine but classed as a rebuild. 

For Hornby, I don't think it would be classed as a tooling variation, that would be equivalent to expecting them to also release a K4 as just a tooling variation of the K1, when in reality there is just a common chassis.

So, if you're planning on one tooling, what will you aim for?  A prototype in which the exact build variation hasn't been seen since 1923 and covers 30 years of it's revenue career, or the variation that covers the remaining 44 revenue years and then the added bonus of a preserved identity to round it off.  To drive that point further, 'Maude's ' exploits on the mainline during her preservation career is what has really made her a soft spot within the enthusiast community, and Hornby have done well to ensure that period of time was the preserved livery they chose for release.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Jammy2305 said:

I'd be content with a Highland brake van - (Matching) brake vans being a vital companion for any freight loco! 

I have  also written to them suggesting this.  They were so very different to  a cccccccconventionalbrakevan and nsome lasted into BR days.  Have also asked for the double-deck (sic) sheep wagons whicj I think was unique to the HR.  They must have small sheep in the Highlands of Scotland!

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, GeoffBird said:

Have also asked for the double-deck (sic) sheep wagons whicj I think was unique to the HR.  They must have small sheep in the Highlands of Scotland!

If you don't mind a few inaccuracies, having to replace the roof, and having to order and have them posted from Australia, a repainted NSWGR GSV sheep van could pass as a Highland Railway sheep wagon from a distance:

CH-WPACK2_1024x1024.jpg?v=1640147567

https://www.australianmodeller.com.au/products/nswgr-gsv-4-wheel-sheep-van-nos-26566-26573-26579-26585-pack-2

• Like 3