Highland Railway 'Jones Goods' 4-6-0 in 00

rapidoandy

6 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

That's them. Are they still around?

Their plastic wasn't very amenable to MekPak.

Yes. But I don't think the full kits are available. Sometimes he runs off a few "part" kits but they seem to not have chassis.

https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=131_224

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Very nice indeed . I  saw them on the stand on Friday but then had to check what I’d actually ordered . Fortunately it’s number 113 in a more restrained green livery !  Checked it again on Saturday . Looks superb . Any idea when these might be delivered ? 

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Look like the Replica Railways version of the MK1 suburban to me

Replica Railways, TTBOMK, have only produced the 64' version of the Mk1 suburban stock.

IIRC, those were all allocated to the Southern and Western Regions. 

The one in the clip only has nine compartments so is a 57-footer.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, RapidoCorbs said:

It's on the list to adjust the Jones green livery as well, closer to the colour in Maskelyne's painting.

Hoping to have them here Q4 2024.

Splendid !  ... and how about the Caley dia67 s ?

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Caledonian said:

Splendid !  ... and how about the Caley dia67 s ?

Usually we say 9 months from the order book closing date (to account for shipping etc.), but on the D.67s the order book has only just opened, so it's got a little while yet.

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, AlfaZagato said:

Was anyone else seeing some hesitation during the video?  I thought I saw some approaching the first bridge.

Yes, we didn't get time to run this loco in or clean the wheels as we were manning the stand but were keen to get it on a layout.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

Was anyone else seeing some hesitation during the video?  I thought I saw some approaching the first bridge.

This is an engineering prototype being test-run by invitation on a layout at an exhibition. We should not extrapolate anything significant about performance of the final product from such an ad-hoc piece of filming. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
On 01/03/2024 at 15:31, RapidoCorbs said:

Yes, we didn't get time to run this loco in or clean the wheels as we were manning the stand but were keen to get it on a layout.

Thanks for still posting it. Even if the running is imperfect the development of a project is really nice aspect of the hobby I enjoy seeing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

On 02/03/2024 at 08:36, Oldddudders said:

This is an engineering prototype being test-run by invitation on a layout at an exhibition. We should not extrapolate anything significant about performance of the final product from such an ad-hoc piece of filming. 

Or we bring attention to it now when its still an engineering prototype, so as to find possible issues while they're still easier to correct.

Also, that's beyond an engineering prototype if I'm reading correctly.  Its a deco sample. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi all, I recently got to have a hands on play with the sound fitted samples of the Jones Goods. I covered them briefly in a longer video I did about Rapido a week or so ago - but I thought those following this thread might appreciate seeing these locos in action without music or commentary.

As always bear in mind that the sound on the video is not fully representative given that I was filming in an echoey space using a single microphone with the audio having then been compressed and rendered through various editing processes before being uploaded to YouTube and compressed further. 

All in all though, these were great really good fun to play with and Rapido were telling me about some additional features they're planning to implement before release too.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, daltonparva said:

Do we know when 17928 lost its lining or was scrapped, I was having the plain black one for late 30's, could I justify this instead?

17928 was withdrawn in May 1933.

17919 (plain black) was withdrawn November 1939.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 28/02/2024 at 11:52, RapidoCorbs said:

It's on the list to adjust the Jones green livery as well, closer to the colour in Moore's painting.

Hoping to have them here Q4 2024.

Will revised decorated samples be shown before release?

And was any conclusion reached regarding claret frames under the boiler? 

(Apologies for the additional questions!)

- James

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Jammy2305 said:

Will revised decorated samples be shown before release?

And was any conclusion reached regarding claret frames under the boiler? 

(Apologies for the additional questions!)

- James

Oh yes - the green frames have been painted the wrong colour - it was a mistake in the paint shop as the two parts were sprayed at different times. Should be all-claret.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Focussing on wingplates and louvred chimneys I've lost track of the tender variations on this model. I seem to recall long and short versions. Is that still the case with the rear toolbox being removed in HR days.

Alan

• Like 1

Loving the progress on the Jones Goods! Even as a GWR modeller, the LMS Lined livery really peaks my interest. One thought, are these early decorated samples with refinements to come? I not the lining on front 2 splashers are off slightly and there is a notable band running the length of the boiler just above the handrails. (I could only really see this on the black examples shown so was just curious :)

Really impressed with the running and sound!

• Like 1

I can’t speak to specifics but the guys at Rapido did tell me they weren’t happy with the decoration yet. The LMS lined one in particular I had to get special permission before putting it in front of the camera.

I have no doubt that these issues will be sorted out though - identifying problems like these are the whole point of the samples  after all.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Had the pleasure of seeing the livery samples in the flesh over the weekend and I think these are the best decoration of steam locomotive wheels I've ever seen in OO. Maybe not a headline area, but the precision and consistency of so many rim and spoke linings over some presumably quite complex wheel shapes is phenomenal. Would love to see some close-up shots, as it was a bit tricky to get a good one through the cabinet!

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1