Highland Railway 'Jones Goods' 4-6-0 in 00

rapidoandy

3 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Theres some big boulders of coal in that tender, would those chunks fit through the firebox door, and need two people to lift it !

The coal hammer was to deal with those!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

6 hours ago, adb968008 said:

And an extra night shift paid to do it.

😁

Five second job for the fireman when you were doing nothing such as being stuck at a signal.

Men were still men back then....

Always gets me when people say the Mainline Dean Goods was wrong. But they nearly always had coal piled up high in virtually every photo you can find. Water was readily available at almost every station, coal wasn't. So you tended to take as much as you could without being over weight or too high for the loading gauge.

Look how coal was piled in real life. Take note of 6847.

http://www.gwr.org.uk/no-tenders.html

Jason

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

So you tended to take as much as you could without being over weight or too high for the loading gauge.

Look how coal was piled in real life. Take note of 6847.

But the caption does say the pile was going to have to be raked down before the engine went out on the road.

A crew member was killed when a bridge took a large lump off an over-coaled Jubilee tender as the engine backed down from Corkerhill shed to St Enochs.

• RMweb Premium

It was certainly frowned upon in later LMS days based on coal possibly falling off and injuring waiting passengers. Based on an old LMS film I found on YouTube which I can’t find - there are some great ones on there!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, pH said:

But the caption does say the pile was going to have to be raked down before the engine went out on the road.

A crew member was killed when a bridge took a large lump off an over-coaled Jubilee tender as the engine backed down from Corkerhill shed to St Enochs.

Caption by someone fifty years later though and does say "probably".

I'm mainly pointing out that large loads was much more typical than empty coal spaces. I'm afraid people look at official photographs and preservation era and think that is what was normal. Not nice uniform chunks like seen on RTR models, but huge lumps or awful fine dust that got everywhere.

And if it was a Y5 then every conceivable space was utilised. This was typical of them.

spacer.png

Credit Ben Brooksbank

Jason

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I'm mainly pointing out that large loads was much more typical than empty coal spaces. I'm afraid people look at official photographs and preservation era and think that is what was normal. Not nice uniform chunks like seen on RTR models, but huge lumps or awful fine dust that got everywhere.

And if it was a Y5 then every conceivable space was utilised. This was typical of them.

spacer.png

Credit Ben Brooksbank

Jason

Even on top of the chimney

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

spacer.png

Credit Ben Brooksbank

Jason

Though in later times, when major depots received "cenotaph" coalers, any big lumps got comprehensively smashed up in the drops from wagon to hopper and hopper to tender.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not sure if anyone else picked up on this but the BR lined black version artwork appears to show a lengthened tender to my eyes, could this mean other Highland engines are in the mix going forward. Certainly, would be interested in both varieties of Ben, Castles, Jumbos or Lochs, likewise access to spare parts too.

Kevin

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Strathwood said:

Not sure if anyone else picked up on this but the BR lined black version artwork appears to show a lengthened tender to my eyes, could this mean other Highland engines are in the mix going forward. Certainly, would be interested in both varieties of Ben, Castles, Jumbos or Lochs, likewise access to spare parts too.

Kevin

To clarify the tender - all the locos lost their toolboxes by LMS days and some (105, 110, 113, 116) had the tender tanks extended. Originally we drew up the 'what if' BR loco with an extended tender tank but this has since been amended as all the chosen examples had original length tanks.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 26/12/2022 at 04:08, AlfaZagato said:

And forward, too.   Almost as though they all backed into coalers running.

Sorry, coming to this one a bit late. All those would have been hand-coaled - or at least coaled by men wheeling tubs about the coaling stage - so the forward heaping is definitely deliberate.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 18/01/2023 at 19:54, Compound2632 said:

Sorry, coming to this one a bit late. All those would have been hand-coaled - or at least coaled by men wheeling tubs about the coaling stage - so the forward heaping is definitely deliberate.

Yes, they were coaled in general from tubs, all very labour intensive from primitive coaling stages, the LMS began putting in large concrete style mechanical coalers during the 1930s at Inverness and Perth, just as they were being withdrawn from service. Coaling facilities at Wick were improved also, but those at Helmsdale, Tain, Dingwall, Blair Atholl and Kyle where they could usually be found remained very primitive and reliant upon manpower to the end.

Kevin

• Informative/Useful 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcGf-c1E3ec 

new video of the EP sample, in todays email. 

"This video shows that the bogie wheels are not rotating properly. This was one of a number of faults, which we have fed back to the factory. They are now hard at work making revised samples, which we hope to be able to show off very soon.

You can also see that the front frames with the prominent guard irons are causing problems (not to mention that they’re positioned too wide). Based on our assessment of the EPs, we’ve decided to make these an optional part, so you can choose to fit them or not, depending on how generous the curves are on your layout."

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

10 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

Yeah, those guard irons are going to be a problem if you curve under R3, maybe even R4.   Arguably, no fault of Rapido, but of the nature of model railroading.

Yeah will have to see I guess. My outer loop is R3 so hopefully it's OK for that.

• Like 1