Highland Railway 'Jones Goods' 4-6-0 in 00

rapidoandy

Odd thought I had, but would it be possible to stand-off the irons from the front of the bogie?   Or, mount them in a slot with a link to the bogie?   Might be a little fiddly or unreliable, but could be a good compromise between omitting them & risking fouling of lineside equipment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

From the latest Rapido U.K. newsletter. They posted a video of the Highland Goods EP test running. 

You can also see that the front frames with the prominent guard irons are causing problems (not to mention that they’re positioned too wide). Based on our assessment of the EPs, we’ve decided to make these an optional part, so you can choose to fit them or not, depending on how generous the curves are on your layout.

video here:

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 24/02/2023 at 14:01, AlfaZagato said:

Yeah, those guard irons are going to be a problem if you curve under R3, maybe even R4.   Arguably, no fault of Rapido, but of the nature of model railroading.

Would the problem go away of the front coupling and its mounting block was done away with?

looking at a drawing* there is clearance between the leading bogie wheel and the guard iron, at least for scale flanges; as the bogie swings, the wheel on the inside of the curve moves back a bit relative to the guard iron, increasing the clearance. (It would be interesting to see an underside view to see what fudges are already in place to give clearance for the leading wheels behind the cylinders.)

*P. Tatlow, A History of Highland Locomotives (OPC, 1979) fig. 28 p. 50.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, AlfaZagato said:

I don't think it's so much a problem of clearance for moving parts on the loco.  I think it's more an issue with lineside obstacles.   

Well indeed. The guard irons are there to deal with obstructions on rather than to the side of the rails! They are way out of place on that EP. There's an 00 dilemma, of course - should they be in line with the 00 rail or at scale centres? (And they're joggled out from the frames, so the angle of the joggle would probably end up being exaggerated too.) 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

IMO, the only sensible solution for train set curves is to fit the guard irons to the bogie.

For those able to accommodate them mounted on the frames, separately in the accessory bag will do the job, with suitable spacers to keep the EM/P4 community happy.

Or, perhaps best of all, both, allowing those with sufficiently gentle curves to replace the basic provision as they see fit and the silent majority to leave well alone.  

John  

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Ben Alder said:

Can't say I'm greatly taken with the carbuncle on the tender either.

If you mean the "coal" load, hopefully it will be removeable.  I

I'm not sure about the choice of varieties in terms of the front end, especially wing plates eg missing on the early LMS version but present on the post 1928 one.  I'm sure each version corresponds to a researched locomotive but seem out of synch with the general trend of modifications to these locos.  Looking through photos of the class, wingplates, louvred chimney and HR safety valves in the first LMS livery would appear to represent the condition of most of the class at that time, although wingplates were removed on some locos before 1923 (including 103).  To be fair, there are a lot of variations to accommodate but to my eye the wingplates and chimney evoke the Highland railway but I don't fancy picking the first version and then painting it black.

Alan

• Like 1

Is there yet a view on the best way to buy Rapido models?  Is delivery to local shops secure enough to rely on an order placed there (I might be being influenced by some of the recent issues with Hornby here) or is it better to order direct?  I prefer to order from C&M (happy 20th anniversary btw) but I've not ordered any Rapido stuff from them before.

Alan

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, Buhar said:

If you mean the "coal" load, hopefully it will be removeable.  I

I'm not sure about the choice of varieties in terms of the front end, especially wing plates eg missing on the early LMS version but present on the post 1928 one.  I'm sure each version corresponds to a researched locomotive but seem out of synch with the general trend of modifications to these locos.  Looking through photos of the class, wingplates, louvred chimney and HR safety valves in the first LMS livery would appear to represent the condition of most of the class at that time, although wingplates were removed on some locos before 1923 (including 103).  To be fair, there are a lot of variations to accommodate but to my eye the wingplates and chimney evoke the Highland railway but I don't fancy picking the first version and then painting it black.

Alan

The modifications confusingly don't follow a straight path. Some locos lost their wing plates and then regained them, and not all locos got the same modifications. Each version we have chosen represents that loco in the condition it is shown in a photo or set of photos, cross-referenced with a matrix of known modifications from the research material available.

I'm on holiday at the moment without access to the files but can check the references when I am back if you have any specific queries.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, RapidoCorbs said:

The modifications confusingly don't follow a straight path. Some locos lost their wing plates and then regained them, and not all locos got the same modifications. Each version we have chosen represents that loco in the condition it is shown in a photo or set of photos, cross-referenced with a matrix of known modifications from the research material available.

I'm on holiday at the moment without access to the files but can check the references when I am back if you have any specific queries.

I was fairly certain that would be the case, although I didn't know wingplates were sometimes regained. Choices have to be made and while the Big Goods was photographed a lot some are not great quality and would not have helped to ascertain details across the whole locomotive and tender. Looking at my own collection, the livery style is sometimes not discernable let alone tender type.

Alan

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Buhar said:

Is there yet a view on the best way to buy Rapido models?  Is delivery to local shops secure enough to rely on an order placed there (I might be being influenced by some of the recent issues with Hornby here) or is it better to order direct?  I prefer to order from C&M (happy 20th anniversary btw) but I've not ordered any Rapido stuff from them before.

Alan

I'm pretty confident this is largely a Hornby only issue. Rapido (and Accurascale/Cavalex) definitely value and support the retailers. Rapido do so to the point where they refuse to lower their direct website prices to ensure that retailers get the orders they need to thrive. Rapido publicise order cut off dates and you must order from your retailer before these in good time as your retailer will send their order to Rapido based off these (plus whatever extra they want to have in their shop). That is what they are guaranteed to get as a minimum, provided they order before the cut off. They may well receive extra but it does mean you can place your order with a retailer with confidence. Just be sure to make sure they are on this list (C&M are): https://rapidotrains.co.uk/official-retailers/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, E100 said:

Rapido (and Accurascale/Cavalex) definitely value and support the retailers.

Thanks for your comprehensive explanation. When a firm produces useful items I want to support them. I'll email Mike when I've worked out which version to get. I've got the DJH kit so I could use that for early LMS and a Rapido for a later variation.

Alan 

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Possibly one of the LMS D1666 samples someone has had fun with? 

I note a Cheshire Lines / Great Central van and North British open further back in the train. Plenty of scope for froth!

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I note a Cheshire Lines / Great Central van and North British open further back in the train. Plenty of scope for froth!

I'm sure I heard "how's the Kirtley goods coming on?" in the background chat.

Alan 

• Funny 3