Highland Railway 'Jones Goods' 4-6-0 in 00

rapidoandy

21 hours ago, Ben Alder said:

A member of the HRS is doing a 3D print of this, IIR.

'tis done.  I picked one up at the AGM.  Very nice it is too.

Alan

On 29/01/2024 at 17:59, Caledonian said:

The trouble is when, like Hornby, a manufacturer turns out the modern version but not the original.

Off topic, but I'm still griping about their J15s - They tooled for replacement chimneys, smokebox doors etc to allow the model to be backdated and then never released a GER condition loco!

- James

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Jammy2305 said:

Off topic, but I'm still griping about their J15s - They tooled for replacement chimneys, smokebox doors etc to allow the model to be backdated and then never released a GER condition loco!

- James

Haven't yet but I'm sure it will come

On 29/01/2024 at 17:25, Caledonian said:

Maud not only has a "modern" livery, but lacks the Westinghouse pumps carried in North British service - yet there is an LNER version which does.  

I was delighted that a preservation era Maude was produced simply because that era alone holds many happy memories for me.

The livery itself isn't modern per se.

A few post rebuild C/J36 did carry lined NB black as per Maude and there is photographic evidence to prove it.

Not all were fitted with air brakes either.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Oooo they look good. Really looking forward to my preserved example.

Still hoping that Rapido scanned a few other things in the Riverside museum when they scanned the Jones goods, but another announcement goes by without a Caley 123 🙁

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, nightstar.train said:

Still hoping that Rapido scanned a few other things in the Riverside museum when they scanned the Jones goods, but another announcement goes by without a Caley 123 🙁

Well, not far off...

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I think the NBR Ks, or the GNSR V/Fs, would be better Riverside residents to be done in RTR. At least those were classes of multiple locos that had proper working lives and made it to BR.

Caley 123 is a lovely loco, but not the most useful for average layouts. Plus we've already had that in RTR even if it is old now.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

On 16/02/2024 at 08:32, drt7uk said:

😍🥰🤩

unnamed.jpg

The "Jones Green" livery in the center has no road number on the buffer beam.  Is this correct? Also, when did "Jones Green" give way to the darker olive "Drummond Green" on the right?

• Like 1

I'm really looking forward to these, and I've got my HR 103 on order.  

I do think the green edging on the yellow livery looks a bit too bright.  In photos of the real thing I'd say it is a darker/more olivey green.  Hopefully there's still an opportunity to correct this if these are colour samples? 

Rick

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Ian M. said:

The "Jones Green" livery in the center has no road number on the buffer beam.  Is this correct? Also, when did "Jones Green" give way to the darker olive "Drummond Green" on the right?

Ion't know if that's correct for that livery. The news letter did say there were corrections to make after reviewing these first painted samples so that may be on the list.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Ian M. said:

Yes that's correct, Mr. Jones didn't seem to go in for branding (no bufferbeam numbers and no H.R on the tender). Drummond took over in 1896 and the elaborate white-black-white lining was applied until 1902 when the HR seemed to run out of money for paint and seemingly everything was painted plain green.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 16/02/2024 at 13:32, drt7uk said:

😍🥰🤩

unnamed.jpg

I know there's a few things noted for correction so I may just be repeating what is known, but looking at the Jones liveried example, and cross referencing with 'Highland Railway Liveries' by Howard Geddes and 'The Liveries of the Pre-Grouping Railways Volume Three' by Nigel Digby, a few things are worth noting:

The tyres should be black instead of olive and the balance weights should be olive and lined, like the axle centres (this may be present, but it's difficult to tell from the photo). 

Additionally, the section of frame above the running plate/below the smokebox and boiler should be claret along it's length, rather than claret under and forward of the smokebox and then olive under the boiler.

There's a discrepancy regarding roof colour; Digby has these as "painted black in traffic, not white as often pictured" but Geddes has these as white in keeping with a lot of illustrations of the Jones livery. I guess this would be better verified by prototype photos.

According to Geddes, the "buff" colour seen in the cab interior photo appears to have been introduced after 1902, with the earlier liveries (Jones and Drummond I) having the upper cab interiors "grained" and the lower interiors in olive green (or "dark olive green" for the Drummond I example).

Those points aside, it's looking good so far and I can't wait to receive mine!

- James

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Jammy2305 said:

The tyres should be black instead of olive and the balance weights should be olive and lined, like the axle centres (this may be present, but it's difficult to tell from the photo). 

Additionally, the section of frame above the running plate/below the smokebox and boiler should be claret along it's length, rather than claret under and forward of the smokebox and then olive under the boiler.

A couple of these things came up in our discussion with the HRS and looking at the sources/photographs. The colour paintings conflict on a few points as do the written accounts and it is possible there was more than one application of the style.

I do not wish to infringe copyright so will not post the whole photo here but this is an excerpt of a photo of 116 in full Jones livery.

The centre of the boiler bands is black which shows as much darker than the wheel tyres, which are a close match to the wheel centre in shade.

Likewise it shows that the outside of the wheel weight is dark and the centre of the weight is lighter.

Screenshot2024-02-18at18_21_51.png.7cc1c257922eae9e21dff8c26d29fb79.png

The cab interior colours are slightly different depending on the loco, unfortunately we could not convince the factory to scumble the interior walls ;)

Claret frames - will check sources and confirm.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

1 hour ago, RapidoCorbs said:

A couple of these things came up in our discussion with the HRS and looking at the sources/photographs. The colour paintings conflict on a few points as do the written accounts and it is possible there was more than one application of the style.

I do not wish to infringe copyright so will not post the whole photo here but this is an excerpt of a photo of 116 in full Jones livery.

The centre of the boiler bands is black which shows as much darker than the wheel tyres, which are a close match to the wheel centre in shade.

Likewise it shows that the outside of the wheel weight is dark and the centre of the weight is lighter.

Screenshot2024-02-18at18_21_51.png.7cc1c257922eae9e21dff8c26d29fb79.png

The cab interior colours are slightly different depending on the loco, unfortunately we could not convince the factory to scumble the interior walls ;)

Claret frames - will check sources and confirm.

Thank you for clarifying and for the informative example! 

- James

On 17/02/2024 at 10:52, Ian M. said:

Rapido,  can you confirm no buffer beam numbering on the Jones Green? Any photo evidence?

Edited by Ian M.
Typo