Highland Railway 'Jones Goods' 4-6-0 in 00

rapidoandy

Just to add a bit more on the Jones Goods  - here is a clip of HR103 I found on line of it running back in 1959 at the time of the Scottish Industries Exhibition in Glasgow.  103 ran with the other three Scottish preserved locomotives -  and it was an occasion when GWR City of Truro was brought up to Glasgow specially for the occasion.  [3440 was my first GWR cop!]   

So you can run 103 alongside 3440 legitimately if you wish.  Although 3440 and 103 never ran double headed, I recall 3440 ran back then double headed with GNSR 49 Gordon Highlander on the various excursions bringing visitors to the exhibition each day.  Note also in the film that CR123 has its front buffer faces emery clothed into the thistle pattern motif - which it lost the first time it was coupled up to run tender first. (Alisdair)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I feel some "Rule 1" railtours to the West of England via the Somerset & Dorset coming on....

Complete with ex-Devon Belle observation car in maroon revisiting its former stamping grounds 😊

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, grow45 said:

Interesting that in the first picture the only person wearing a hat is the one not doing anything-presumably the gaffer. 

Hats were rather going out of fashion by the 60s, though my gran disapproved strongly of "the hatless brigade".  In the days before the internet, fashion in Scotland still tended to be a bit behind England.

The "gaffer" is wearing a shirt (white) and tie, together with shoes, but he may well be a representative of the museum.  The chap wielding a hammer (is that really a foreman's job??) is incongruously wearing a suit, whilst the others are in boots as befits their status.  Some spectators watching the loco entering the museum are wearing hats as part of a uniform, whilst some others are wearing clothing caps to prove they're working class.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Hats were rather going out of fashion by the 60s, though my gran disapproved strongly of "the hatless brigade".  In the days before the internet, fashion in Scotland still tended to be a bit behind England.

The "gaffer" is wearing a shirt (white) and tie, together with shoes, but he may well be a representative of the museum.  The chap wielding a hammer (is that really a foreman's job??) is incongruously wearing a suit, whilst the others are in boots as befits their status.  Some spectators watching the loco entering the museum are wearing hats as part of a uniform, whilst some others are wearing clothing caps to prove they're working class.

Note, however, the complete absence of any wearers of suits, ties or hats by the time it comes to the physical bit of moving the bogie! 🙂

The stance of the "gaffer" in the trilby strongly shouts "railway" rather than "museum" management, though....

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

The man standing on the low loader in the fourth picture from the bottom isn’t wearing a hard hat. One wouldn’t have done him much good if the locomotive hanging above him had fallen!

No, but if a lump of coal or that bogie securing nut had fallen off the loco, a hard hat might have save him something of a headache as a result.  Back then of course a bowler would have been the type of hard hat to look for!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Note, however, the complete absence of any wearers of suits, ties or hats by the time it comes to the physical bit of moving the bogie! 🙂

The stance of the "gaffer" in the trilby strongly shouts "railway" rather than "museum" management, though....

John

Railway and Pickford's staff I would assume. They would be the ones responsible for it.

Jason

9 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

No, but if a lump of coal or that bogie securing nut had fallen off the loco, a hard hat might have save him something of a headache as a result. 

Having worked on a couple of building sites in the west of Scotland in the mid-1960s, I’ll say that the general attitude towards hard hats then was that they were for keeping your head dry when it was raining. I only knew one guy who wore one all the time. That was because on a previous site (inside, cluttered, some demolition being done) he had had a scaffold clip dropped on his head while he was wearing a hard hat. 

On 04/04/2022 at 03:04, Jon Harbour said:

The dude in the trilby looks like Arfur Daley!

Alright my son, Leave it out
As it 'appens its your shout
Straight up, Pull the other
In a right 2 and 8
What's the damage Chief?
Who's your mate?
The geezer with the bunny in the trilby 'at
Reckons he's legit but he ain't all that
Arthur Daley, little dodgy maybe, but underneath,
'E's alright.

😛

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Do we know what the evidence was for the particular shade of yellow applied to 103 in preservation? 

If it was supposed to be Stroudley's Improved Engine Green, then it is clearly a very different shade to the IEG applied to preserved Brighton locos. Should we expect Highland and Brighton engines to have been painted in the same shade, or did Stroudley change the formulation when he moved south?

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Andy Kirkham said:

Do we know what the evidence was for the particular shade of yellow applied to 103 in preservation? 

If it was supposed to be Stroudley's Improved Engine Green, then it is clearly a very different shade to the IEG applied to preserved Brighton locos. Should we expect Highland and Brighton engines to have been painted in the same shade, or did Stroudley change the formulation when he moved south?

I've always had the impression that Stroudley was widely held to have been colour-blind and that the term "Improved Engine Green" was either devised to cover an error on his part or represented a contemporary attempt at sarcasm.

Many years ago, when I took (and passed) my RAF vision test, the MO told me that, especially among smokers, colour perception can be unstable and may vary significantly over quite short periods.

Consistency might therefore not be something to be expected?

John

Edited by Dunsignalling