Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

BR Dia. 1/227 'VIX' Ferry Van

rapidoandy

32 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

I don't know what you are referring to

The image I'm referring to, the B786873 door open image that was in the 1962 MR and also on the info sheet supplied with the model, credited to "CL collection". It appears on the Rapido UK website, Ferry van page annotated, "Courtesy of Paul Bartlett".

Scroll down from this link.

https://rapidotrains.co.uk/br-dia-1-277-vix-ferry-van/

Edited by Porcy Mane

3 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

The image I'm referring to, the B786873 door open image that was in the 1962 MR and also on the info sheet supplied with the model, credited to "CL collection". It appears on the Rapido UK website, Ferry van page annotated, "Courtesy of Paul Bartlett".

Scroll down from this link.

https://rapidotrains.co.uk/br-dia-1-277-vix-ferry-van/

Thanks, I don't recognise that official. 

Interesting acknowledgement from Rapido for the others, all I've had. 

Paul

4 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

Thanks, I don't recognise that official. 

Interesting acknowledgement from Rapido for the others, all I've had. 

Paul

Paul - I presume the picture being discussed is the BR official shot used in the Model Railway Constructor article which appeared with a drawing of the van way back in the mid-1960s? I have the original print here somewhere and I seem to recall I supplied a scan of the article to Rapido. (CJL)

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, bubbles2 said:

Can anyone advise which is the best way to split the chassis  from the body

Four tabs centred about 6mm from the outer ends of the doors. Prise the body out about1mm  ( I used a no. 17 blade) on one side and it should flop out.  You can see the position of the tabs by looking through the open doors.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

My first two have arrived courtesy of @Derails Models and all I can do is reiterate what others have said - these are wonderful looking wagons and I will buy more.

Well done Rapido - these are my first purchase from you and I am very happy, and thanks to Derails for their usual great service.

Roy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all. A ferryvan question if I may; well, actually, a barrier wagon question.  I have just received my second Rapido van, this time 910004, the 'scruffy brown' barrier version, coded RBX (wagon number B787170); and very nice it is, too.🙂  My question is, what  traffic flows required use of these barrier vans? I unconsciously assumed that it would be nuclear waste from sites various. However, a brief scan of images on Paul Bartlett's wonderful resource would suggest there were quite a few such wagons used in a barrier role.  Was there that much nuclear waste moving about, or were these barrier vans used in association with other flows as well? Hoping somebody on here will be able to enlighten me, please. TVM.

Best wishes,

Paul

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Grampus said:

Evening all. A ferryvan question if I may; well, actually, a barrier wagon question.  I have just received my second Rapido van, this time 910004, the 'scruffy brown' barrier version, coded RBX (wagon number B787170); and very nice it is, too.🙂  My question is, what  traffic flows required use of these barrier vans? I unconsciously assumed that it would be nuclear waste from sites various. However, a brief scan of images on Paul Bartlett's wonderful resource would suggest there were quite a few such wagons used in a barrier role.  Was there that much nuclear waste moving about, or were these barrier vans used in association with other flows as well? Hoping somebody on here will be able to enlighten me, please. TVM.

Best wishes,

Paul

I seem to remember them being used on ammonia traffic from haverton Hill 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Russ P - thank  you: that would make sense. I can certainly imagine why train crews might feel happier with a nice, long barrier between them and a trainload of concentrated ammonia.

Best wishes,

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Grampus said:

Evening all. A ferryvan question if I may; well, actually, a barrier wagon question.  I have just received my second Rapido van, this time 910004, the 'scruffy brown' barrier version, coded RBX (wagon number B787170); and very nice it is, too.🙂  My question is, what  traffic flows required use of these barrier vans?

Explosives traffic, mostly MOD, but possibly also civil explosives.

I highly recommend  “BR Train Formations Handbook” which has a dedicated section for these traffics 🙂

https://pocketmags.com/eu/rail-express-magazine/train-formations-handbook-from-rail-express

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

When I worked in Warrington TOPS mid-80s there was a daily trip from Warrington to Gathurst conveying empty AB vans to be loaded with commercial explosives. Latterly they would also convey a couple of ferry vans as barriers. This was as a result of a rules change where dangerous goods had to be fully fitted with automatic brakes, and so they could run air-braked. Prior to this rule change we could use three MCV/MXV either side of one VAB which was vacuum piped.

Paul

Edited by Hippel
VAB was vacuum piped and air braked.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, andythenorth said:

I highly recommend  “BR Train Formations Handbook” which has a dedicated section for these traffics 🙂

https://pocketmags.com/eu/rail-express-magazine/train-formations-handbook-from-rail-express

Thank you - I have a copy of that somewhere: sounds like an expedition to the far reaches of the cupboard is called for!

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, russ p said:

I'm trying to remember if these vans were 75mph but I seem to think they may have been 62mph but I think TOPS would have generated a 60mph train list 

Yes it was 62mph in the diagram book for equivalent stock from other countries.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 14/02/2023 at 14:28, Captain Kernow said:

I had a look at a friend's Ferryvan at the club last night and the wheels seemed to be the usual 3-hole disc ones, even if the prototype scaled out at 13mm rather than 12.5mm.

I will try fitting either some AG 12.5mm 3-hole disc or the Exactoscale equivalent. I'm also thinking about making enough room for some springing units behind the Rapido axle guards.

If you do decide to spring these I'd be grateful if you published it here. I've long since given up on compensating/springing RTR wagons non of the available systems seem to work too well. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

If you do decide to spring these I'd be grateful if you published it here. I've long since given up on compensating/springing RTR wagons non of the available systems seem to work too well. 

I certainly will, David.

I've ordered one or two bits from Crotch Crescent, so we'll see how they turn out. If not, I might take the piercing saw to some Bill Bedford bits.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, andythenorth said:

And this has appeared in the Pocketmags half price sale today. 

Roy

• Thanks 3

• RMweb Premium

During my local EM group zoom meeting last night I took the just received and rather lovely Ferry Van out of the box and had a look. Replacement P4 wheels from Branchlines were dropped in for the time being without bother. I think this will ultimately need springing though. Maybe the Dave Bradwell units or the Bill Bedford pedestal ones if you split them.

02563D6F-6A4C-4FB5-8B4F-59C6C55EB5F8.jpeg

04D83FEE-3C28-4D27-A976-8683D866ACB5.jpeg

C82F56A0-8538-4430-A22C-C475998F7FB9.jpeg

1D1B68F6-25B8-4C4B-8C3B-7470DD4297C2.jpeg

Edited by ullypug
Typo
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I’m very impressed. My two have completed a tour of the main running lines on my layout including the two radius two reverse loops. The lower loop has gradient changes too. No derailments. 

I seem to recall seeing a picture of a test train made entirely of these vans with a 37. I’ve searched the net but not found it. 

• Like 1