RMweb - Change of hosting, missing images - April 2022

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Stephen Freeman said:

Unfortunately it seems to be rather worse, as far as I can see all the images on my my thread have gone, that's at least back to 2016. Fortunately the Youtube links still work.

The stuff older than 12 months should re-appear as the synch continues. Leave it a week or two and they should be back. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

I'm not sure if this is a me thing or a you thing, but entering `www.rmweb.co.uk/` in my browser redirects to the old / non-existent `www.rmweb.co.uk/community` - although curiously this doesn't happen in incognito mode.

Have tried clearing all cookies for the site and logged back in to the same effect.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Miss Prism said:

Oh. That's a bit of a spanner in the works.

Andy - do you have a date more accurate than 'about a year ago' after which the lost images will not be shown?

I think you'll be OK if you add the replacement picture, then delete the missing picture from the post before you save.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Only just caught up with the fact that RM Web has returned. 

Just want to say Thank you to Andy and the team for all the work in the last week or so to enable that happening.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

WELL DONE to all concerned, photo loss is a great shame (keenly felt by me as much as anyone) but its not the end of the world - a (personal viewpoint) reality check....................

For those of you who feel this is major trauma just wait a few weeks until Russia starts cyberwars erases everything we hold dear and stops all normal internet engagement with banking, shopping, fuel etc then we will all have something that really matters to moan about.

Perspective is important here........Andy and team don't beat yourselves up - its a wake up call to all of us (incl me!) that RMW isn't a form of photo storage - I have lost the 12 month period completely as I relied on RMW too much BUT I would have been far less happy if I had lost the older stuff I can still just about remember what happened a year ago 😂.

J

Edited by halsey
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

For anyone who may be wondering about the exact dates for photos missing from the past year.

Photos I uploaded on May 31st 2021 are still there, those from June 1st 2021 onwards are not.

A lot of earlier photos appear to be missing but they will probably return if we all wait a few days.

David

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I’ve been out of circulation this past week with infrequent internet access, so it was with relief and pleasure that I can now see that RMweb has returned. 

My heartfelt thanks to Andy and team for all the hard work these past few days to rebuild what Dediserve, a supposedly professional business, managed to so comprehensively trash.  

For my part, once I get back home and have access to my photos, I’ll work through my previous posts over the past year to reload any missing images. It’s actually the very least that I can do to ensure the continued success of RMweb and its content. 

Well done Andy. I’m sure you’ll take a few days off once everything has stabilised. You certainly deserve them. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Hello Andy,

I missed the grand re-opening yesterday. Well done and thanks for the all the hard work you've put into getting the site up and running again.

I noted what you said about avatars and the question for me is do I re-up my old one or go for something new - decisions, decisions.

Welcome back everyone!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, John Besley said:

Ok I use my phone for 99.9% of my time here ... Can't find CTRL  Home on it either 😊

On an iPad, tapping the browser title bar takes you to the top of the page. Might be worth trying on other systems too…

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

This is a good lesson to all of us relying on single drive at home or a cloud service provider actually making data backups.

I've heard of a urban legend of a service provider that in their customer contracts agreed to rediculously low penalties in case their backups failed. The story said that the company did not bother to take any proper backups as the cost of proper backing up was higher than paying for the data lost. When the server failed it turned out the company had not even attempted to make any backups whatsoever.

I may have to regret saying this but: I hope the avatars lost were the moving gif type things that kept on flashing at the side of the screen while trying to read the messages. Due to design it is impossible to reduce the browser screen or zoom in the view to push the left hand column in to wings.

Edited by PSi
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

3 hours ago, AY Mod said:

It certainly sounds more like the browsers not seeing the css correctly. I've just done a system cache flush at this end to see if it helps.

Thanks Andy, but unfortunately that hasn't made any difference. I'll try tweaking some more settings here

Pete

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, cornelius said:

I'm not sure if this is a me thing or a you thing, but entering `www.rmweb.co.uk/` in my browser redirects to the old / non-existent `www.rmweb.co.uk/community` - although curiously this doesn't happen in incognito mode.

Have tried clearing all cookies for the site and logged back in to the same effect.

My old bookmark failed to work but typing rmweb.co.uk into the address bar (note no www) got me here. Bookmarked this and deleted the old one which had the /community bit on the end and job's a good un.

• Like 2

I haven't read the entire thread but on the off chance it hasn't been said: I've had zero problems getting caught up today, everything seems to be working fine, and the performance is sparkling. Thank you 👍

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Neil said:

My old bookmark failed to work but typing rmweb.co.uk into the address bar (note no www) got me here. Bookmarked this and deleted the old one which had the /community bit on the end and job's a good un.

As others have said, old bookmark wouldn't work.

So I typed into browser search term "RM Web" and the result opened at the home page. Bookmarked that and deleted old one.

Edited by melmerby
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Philou said:

I missed the grand re-opening yesterday. Well done and thanks for the all the hard work you've put into getting the site up and running again.

I noted what you said about avatars and the question for me is do I re-up my old one or go for something new - decisions, decisions.

I suspect that my avatar might also be about to be replaced.

I'm not exactly losing much sleep over this. Let's face it - this photo was taken 7 years ago, in a building on Muswell Hill, using an Android tablet that's since gone the way of the dodo.

1 hour ago, 4630 said:

I’ve been out of circulation this past week with infrequent internet access, so it was with relief and pleasure that I can now see that RMweb has returned. 

My heartfelt thanks to Andy and team for all the hard work these past few days to rebuild what Dediserve, a supposedly professional business, managed to so comprehensively trash.

Recently, there's been some talk about "dedication". This might strike some people as interesting - especially in view of the RTS Awards ceremony 8 years ago, in which one teacher offered to "dedicate" an award to England's then Education Secretary, Michael Gove.

Apparently, this reference to "dedication" was no compliment ... .

I liked Andy's observation: "Yes, we should have dumped them sooner."

Edited by Huw Griffiths
  • Like 4

I have looked at the images that have been saved in "my attachments", the only ones to appear are those that are prior to the first of June last year, most of those earlier than this are also non-visible, but those that do exhibit themselves, are in blocks of four to six that were originally posted in date order.

Unfortunately, I can not offer any explanation for this.  

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Bravo Andy. I never doubted you for one second and am quite surprised things are back up and running so soon!

You would get 5 "sungums" but we'll have to find another suitable emoji from that vast array to replace them.

Regards  Shaun

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Not sure if this will help some members who rely on web browser  bookmarks or speed dials to access RmWeb pages.

If you have saved bookmarks in your browser that are broken, click on it to open. . You get the broken message/ page not found etc but if you do a quick edit it SHOULD then find the correct page so looking at this example which wont work  and carrying out the edit on the version below it :-

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/topic/106732-4digit-dcc-address-problem/

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/106732-4digit-dcc-address-problem/

(Remove.     COMMUNITY/INDEX.PHP?    )

It should then work bringing you to the correct page on the current live site.

It's worked for me on all bookmarks I've tried so far. P.S. don't forget to save your NEW bookmark and delete the old broken one.

HTH others

Edited by Matt C
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Matt C said:

Not sure if this will help some members who rely on web browser  bookmarks or speed dials to access RmWeb pages.

If you have saved bookmarks in your browser that are broken, click on it to open. . You get the broken message/ page not found etc but if you do a quick edit it SHOULD then find the correct page so looking at this example which wont work  and carrying out the edit on the version below it :-

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/106732-4digit-dcc-address-problem/

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/index.php?/topic/106732-4digit-dcc-address-problem/

(Remove. COMMUNITY/ )

It should then work bringing you to the correct page on the current live site.

It's worked for me on all bookmarks I've tried so far. P.S. don't forget to save your NEW bookmark and delete the old broken one.

HTH others

Good tip - presumably the same for copied and saved links in off site documents.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Can we leave what happens elsewhere or not out of the topic please just so I can more clearly see if anyone highlights specific issues not already noted.

Andy,

I've noticed on my Layout topic that I'm 'missing' photos / attachments that go back as far as 2018, not just the last year. The 'links' are there, but not the contents. Am I correct in thinking these will reappear in the coming days as the 'system' sorts itself out?

Ian

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

30 minutes ago, Matt C said:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/106732-4digit-dcc-address-problem/

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/index.php?/topic/106732-4digit-dcc-address-problem/

(Remove. COMMUNITY/ )

You also need to take off the 'index.php':

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/106732-4digit-dcc-address-problem/

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Andy - do you have a date more accurate than 'about a year ago' after which the lost images will not be shown?

[Pedant mode] .... a date more precise than......[/Pedant mode]

• Like 2