Hornby West Country in purple (Elizabeth II)

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, 3rd Rail Exile said:

I agree that this piece can't be fitted without significant surgery to the front of the front bogie - you'd need to mill off the cylindrical protrusion at the front and then take the whole front face back a bit. 

Having found out the hard way that it couldn't be fitted properly, I decided to remove it completely as I don't have the necessary tools to make a decent job of the bogie modification.  I suspect most people who tried to fit it will have come to the same conclusion, and therefore there will be a lot of unfitted bang plates still sitting in the accessories bag, or similarly discarded.  

I can't remember if this issue has afflicted all iterations/modifications of the rebuilt West Country model - it does seem strange to supply a part that it's impossible to fit...

Major-ish surgery to the bogie was what I was afraid the answer would be. I’ll have a hunt for a spare bogie to practise on. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 3rd Rail Exile said:

I can't remember if this issue has afflicted all iterations/modifications of the rebuilt West Country model - it does seem strange to supply a part that it's impossible to fit...

Strange but far from unusual. I haven’t had this particular problem but in similar cases I have bent the top of the bangplate until it clears obstructions.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Don't believe everything you see on TV...

Its amazing they can produce accurate models with measurements taken by a bloke with a camera and a coarse-scale measuring stick....

• Funny 2

30 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Its amazing they can produce accurate models with measurements taken by a bloke with a camera and a coarse-scale measuring stick....

And, or course, the dirty great 3D scan they had mentioned twice

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

Don't believe everything you see on TV...

Do you mean 'The Saint' and Maigret aren't real?  Next thing we know is that you'll be telling us that all these reality shows aren't real either ...  I know the Hornby Show ian't real because it said on Episode 2 that they'd been at Margate for 100 years and i know they weren't.

PS. I know Maigret is real because my daughter gave me a couple of the original books about him for Christmas.  i know they're original because they came from the Oxfam bookshop so are therefore old and as they're in French they must be real. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Do you mean 'The Saint' and Maigret aren't real?  Next thing we know is that you'll be telling us that all these reality shows aren't real either ...  I know the Hornby Show ian't real because it said on Episode 2 that they'd been at Margate for 100 years and i know they weren't.

PS. I know Maigret is real because my daughter gave me a couple of the original books about him for Christmas.  i know they're original because they came from the Oxfam bookshop so are therefore old and as they're in French they must be real. 

As is well known, the Margate site dates to 1954, purpose built for Triang when they moved from Richmond. So it's 59 years old, which is probably close enough to 100 years as far as TV scriptwriting is concerned!

Maigret?  Wasn't he Rupert Davies?

• Agree 1

On 19/12/2022 at 18:59, Hilux5972 said:

Very carefully with a minute drop of glue. Do you have something like this that can hold it perfectly in place? 

0271BDFC-6500-427F-8CED-C17667C14125.png

I actually want one of those - what on earth are they called? Struggling to pull anything up online with ‘thing that holds things for modelling’…,

13 minutes ago, Derek 19B said:

They are called helping hands , Frizinghall models have them , very useful but can be unstable ,

derek

The best solution is to get a 300mm square (1ft in old money) piece of plywood to work on, drill a couple of holes in the "legs" and screw the magnifier to the plywood. Steadies the apparatus a treat!  An added touch is to sand and varnish the plywood to reduce the possibility of splinters...

• Like 4

On 31/01/2023 at 11:42, Hroth said:

As is well known, the Margate site dates to 1954, purpose built for Triang when they moved from Richmond. So it's 59 years old, which is probably close enough to 100 years as far as TV scriptwriting is concerned!

Maigret?  Wasn't he Rupert Davies?

He was. I remember the spoof of the opening, where he throws down the match which he used to light his pipe and set Paris ablaze!

• Funny 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

FWIW, Hatton's currently have a pre-owned example of this model in stock for anybody desperate to own one.

I doubt you'll get killed in the rush as the asking price is £581.

The mind boggles!

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

FWIW, Hatton's currently have a pre-owned example of this model in stock for anybody desperate to own one.

I doubt you'll get killed in the rush as the asking price is £581.

The mind boggles!

Someone will pay it. I’m glad I got mine direct from Hornby at the original price 

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Someone will pay it. I’m glad I got mine direct from Hornby at the original price 

More fool anybody who does. With 2500 produced they aren't especially rare and once the novelty wears off they'll come down to half the peak price just as the Bachmann SECR C class has.

My personal view is that the model is highly authentic; it looks precisely as hideous as the prototype did in that paint scheme! 

John

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

The fact that holidng the model next the real thing on the Yesterday TV program showed it to be the same colour actually proves it is wrong as it fails to take scale into account. A colour always looks darker close up and lighter the further away

Well that's the thing. The model is the correct colour but the real engine looked far to lilac in any photo I saw.

• Agree 1