Hornby West Country in purple (Elizabeth II)

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Only in recent years.

Expanded polystyrene and a thin layer of bubblewrap was the norm for about thirty years from approximately 1972. 

Jason

Never seen any bubble wrap

The ones I have bought went straight from close fitting expanded polystyrene to those clear plastic cradles/sleeves

On 15/09/2022 at 22:56, melmerby said:

Never seen any bubble wrap

The ones I have bought went straight from close fitting expanded polystyrene to those clear plastic cradles/sleeves

Definitely bubble wrap. Thin layer between the model and the card insert which normally had a drawing or photograph. 

This was mostly late 1970s and early 1980s when a lot of my Hornby purchases happened. Usually ones in this style packaging and the orange one afterwards.

https://www.toymart.com/Hornby-R761-Hall-Class-Loco/15193

I'm afraid it never lasted long as "Once you pop, you can't stop!"

Jason

• RMweb Gold

51 sold, 54 newly listed on ebay.. thats 7% of the entire run changing hands in a month…

This isnt about modelling or collecting or even scalping, at this point its just pure speculation….

I see the price has crashed from the £950 high, down to the £350 range, and with 54 still togo, I suspect even this will get tested lower.

I wonder if this craze is the pinnacle of the peak we've seen the last few years on model railways ?

I also wonder how many of the plus £500 ones end up returned under ebays guarentee, given the price correction ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Here’s a few more of mine in my display cabinet. The first loco I’ve ever bought that I will never ever run! Need to tweak that centre headlamp. I even used gloves for the first time ever when handling it to out the details on! And a question, how on earth are you supposed to put the coupler bang plate on? The bogie front sticks out too far. 

A8079B5B-400A-4E15-B7C8-C4C1633710B2.jpeg

7F3E714A-3EB5-42DB-B7B3-DAE663786039.jpeg

Edited by Hilux5972
Added
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Who's the dame sitting on the bench? 😉

Many of my figures from Scale 3D.

No connection other than satisfied customer. I'm impressed that although by nature of 3D printing they can be brittle, there's enough fidelity in 1:76 for fine detail. There's a whole bunch of pictures of their figures on my Beasley Street layout thread.

Edited by GraemeWatson
Links added
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

What is this strange kink on the Loco running plate?

4365CCAD-AD3A-493C-A4DE-A10CCAA409D5.jpeg.79f85741a6af5e270f7696cbc0cf93d8.jpeg

pic:GraemeWatson 

The real Loco has a slight kick up just after the buffers but it’s dead straight after that.

EE61B41A-C54D-4F0B-A868-158D74044699.jpeg.a452e89344c55a764cad352fa3d819b0.jpeg

It is where the footplate curves inwards in front of the cylinders.

1201021734_3406217Squadron(2).jpg.0305218cab3610dd12bf3c91aa81bac4.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 29/10/2022 at 06:24, Hilux5972 said:

Has anyone found a supplier, or even looked for, of etched nameplates for Elizabeth II? I’ve checked Fox and they have nothing listed. 

Maybe worth trying Railtec transfers, they make 3D nameplates and they are very good, they do custom work all the time.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Real loco now running as 34027 Taw Valley with plates to suit and no cabside number 

And still in purple too….

or is it Bulleids improved engine green ?

I think it would look nice with a 1950’s lion over wheel as an experimental livery wannabe.

it might be nice if just before the repaint, some enterprising soul chipped off a bit of purple, put it in a dark envelope for the the future so as to head off livery shade debates.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

I noticed that on ebay two have now sold at £300, and a few around the £310 range… that means its costing the chancers more in model cost + fees / postage than they paid for it, so their ride is over.

There seems to be a dwindling number of lurkers watching £399 best offer ones, which to me means they want but are not ready to pay that much, or even within offer range of that.

I guess that’ll be a standoff, as the sellers are on verge of going to a loss / how much they need the money / vs how low will it go. For the buyers its a case of which seller drops first.. theres 28 for sale, but only 10 watching the listings..(in sales terms maybe only 7 buyers who may hit that button)… so theres plenty to go around, and as celebrity wanes, probably more to follow.

For those wanting £999… its a reminder that £1 was once worth $5 too, a very long time ago.

Next year I reckon this will find its true level, at £150 i’ll buy one and add a lion on wheel logo 😀, renumber / name it and pose it with my blue 35005 Can Pac.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3