Hornby cancel Titfield Thunderbolt

JohnR

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, JohnR said:

Its a pity the people who produce the Collectors Club mag dont link in with the sales folk. Wouldnt it be nice if they produced some Scottish B12s?

The Hornby model is a B12/3, as rebuilt by Gresley. The B12s In Scotland, AFAIK, were non-rebuilt versions with smaller boilers and with ACFI feed water heaters — looking quite different (they were nicknamed "Hikers"). The body at least would need to be re-tooled.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Even lazier than you think. Where the image is of an item that has been produced previously, they just photoshop a new name and/or number (as applicable) on an image of the old one.

The dead giveaway is that such pics often display the previous type of tender coupling, which Hornby stopped using several years ago....

John 

Would it be fair to believe that the fictitious 'black masks' on 50044 'Exeter' in original NSE livery are simply left-overs from wholesale changes to a Large Logo Blue image? If so, careless.

I have a PO 5-plank wagon where the catalogue artwork showed NEM couplers but the wagon itself came on the Airfix/Dapol underframe with large plug-in couplers. Annoying.

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Halvarras said:

I have a PO 5-plank wagon where the catalogue artwork showed NEM couplers but the wagon itself came on the Airfix/Dapol underframe with large plug-in couplers. 

The Hornby catalogue shows a "NEM" icon next to all the rolling stock that comes fitted as such, I'd say that if that ICON was there (not just the picture because we now all realise that the pictures are pure fiction) then i'd have suggested you have a real. If it doesn't have that icon then, well, :( .

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, PeterStiles said:

The Hornby catalogue shows a "NEM" icon next to all the rolling stock that comes fitted as such, I'd say that if that ICON was there (not just the picture because we now all realise that the pictures are pure fiction) then i'd have suggested you have a real. If it doesn't have that icon then, well, :( .

On current new releases, I gather the old 10' ex-Airfix underframe has been revamped with NEM mounts and separate brake gear, Oxford-style, as was done with the Victorian/Edwardian 3/4/6-plank tooling a while ago.

That said, it's use on PO wagons remains as dodgy as ever. Whilst a very small proportion of such vehicles did have iron or steel underframes, a wheelbase of 9' and a body length of 16'6" or less were pretty-much universal. (probably never 17'6"}

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Aire Head said:

You should be able to tell this from a side on view as the corrugated ends will wrap around whereas this wouldn't happen with a wooden ended van.

Agreed, though the phrase you quote was in the post I replied to, not mine.

Odd, but not the first time something similar has occurred....

John

• RMweb Premium
On 07/07/2022 at 12:08, Phil Parker said:

Is the L&MR bi-centenary really going to be a massive public event? Railway enthusiasts might be interested, but they are just as likely to know the Titfield film. I'll be honest and say I've not noticed much S&DR noise yet.

Although there may not be a lot of noise at present, there is considerable work going ahead on the Shildon - Darlington - Stockton corridor in readiness for celebrations of some sort in 2025. The railway was originally built to transport coal from the pits beyond Shildon down to the River Tees at Stockton for onward transportation. 

The area around North Road station is currently being restored and improved as outlined here https://www.head-of-steam.co.uk/rail-heritage-quarter/rail-heritage-quarter/ 

Locomotion at Shildon is getting a second exhibition hall as announced earlier and approved here https://www.locomotion.org.uk/about-us/press-office/new-exhibition-building-locomotion-gets-green-light-plans-approved whilst the historical buildings at the far end of the site have already been restored over the past couple of years.

The photographs show the work in progress on Hackworth's House and the restored goods shed in November 2020 when I was last in the area.

DSC_0260.JPG

DSC_0268.JPG

Edited by 1E BoY
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 07/07/2022 at 10:10, Matt C said:

Further to the above we are proud to announce we are a 'None in' Stockist of the New Hornby Duped us Lo range of empty boxes ! Come in and see our empty shelves in the Hornby section ( Down the stairs, turn right, In the Crapper, on the little shelf by the Pan, next to the manky Toilet brush) Now Sir/ Madam how about a nice Accurascale Deltic with a nice rake of Bachmann carriages to pull ?

If there are any shops with Accurascale Deltics for sale they'll be trampled in the rush. I'm not sure that's a good comparator...

On 12/07/2022 at 11:14, Phil Parker said:

I wonder how valuable the catalogue is as a product - we know people like it, so presumably it sells well and should be very profitable. Dribbling out announcements during the year would kill this golden goose.

On 12/07/2022 at 11:20, Legend said:

Not sure about that Phil .  Lets face it the catalogue usually only includes pictures of the real life locos that are being introduced .  i think the annual catalogue could be a chance to see EPs (they seem to be published in Hornby Mag) for stuff announced during the previous year . They could also have reliveries announced in Jan with other models introduced throughout year .  I am a Hornby Catalogue collector it would be sad to see  it go . But  to be honest it could do with a bit of sprucing up and made more exciting . They've tended all to be same format for last 15 years . A bit lazy I think .

On 12/07/2022 at 12:15, 33C said:

Yes, the catalogue format is so boring! The best ones were from 1973 to 1979. The covers of the 1976/77 issues are iconic. Come on Hornby, sell yourselves with excitement not a mailing list....

PS. Good art and artists are out there, traditional and contemporary, they can showcase the models and also their work, the 1981 catalogue was also a gem. The catalogue Rot started to set in around 1983/4, photo, blurb,photo,blurb,etc. If art is reintroduced then every catalogue would be of it's time and place and once again they would become a "must have" in themselves.  Who else charges ten quid for a "stock list"! Look to the train set lid illustrations of the 70's e.g. D.Ivory's "GWR Freight" set, a masterpiece....it can be done. Play with the set, frame the art! 🤓

There was an outcry when the catalogue looked like it was going to be dropped a few years back, but it really doesn't have much relevance in terms of finding out what products are to be made and when they will turn up.

I stopped at the 2005 catalogue, and got the hardbound edition that year marking 50 years since Triang no.1 was issued in 1955; the only exception was getting the 100th anniversary issue. I can't pass without challenging that the best ones were 1973 to 1979, for me the best of the lot is still the 1981 'Ticket to Ride' issue - but that's probably also affected by both my tender age when I bought it from the Harrow Model Shop at the end of 1980, and the realisation that a Class 86 was to be made.

• Like 7

A bit off topic but having seen this the other day I thought it might be an interesting addition to the thread:

8F3BB326-C2F2-4FEB-A33A-0B77D154FB11.jpeg.ff79ef99d772534c88621aa77997a5cc.jpeg

Displayed in Gunnersbury Museum, a very interesting local history museum in West London in a former mansion. It’s not anything to do with the real local railway history (though that is covered elsewhere in the museum), but a promotional model of Lion as Thunderbolt, made by Ealing Studios (the museum has quite a few objects relating to Ealing Studios as it’s also in their local area). Not sure about the scale but it’s very large.

Edited by 009 micro modeller
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, 009 micro modeller said:

A bit off topic but having seen this the other day I thought it might be an interesting addition to the thread:

Displayed in Gunnersbury Museum, a very interesting local history museum in West London in a former mansion. It’s not anything to do with the real local railway history (though that is covered elsewhere in the museum), but a promotional model of Lion as Thunderbolt, made by Ealing Studios (the museum has quite a few objects relating to Ealing Studios as it’s also in their local area). Not sure about the scale but it’s very large.

LBSC did produce drawings for "Lion" in 5 inch gauge at about the time Titfield Thunderbolt was filmed.

• Like 2

On 14/07/2022 at 23:34, andyman7 said:

If there are any shops with Accurascale Deltics for sale they'll be trampled in the rush. I'm not sure that's a good comparator...

There was an outcry when the catalogue looked like it was going to be dropped a few years back, but it really doesn't have much relevance in terms of finding out what products are to be made and when they will turn up.

I stopped at the 2005 catalogue, and got the hardbound edition that year marking 50 years since Triang no.1 was issued in 1955; the only exception was getting the 100th anniversary issue. I can't pass without challenging that the best ones were 1973 to 1979, for me the best of the lot is still the 1981 'Ticket to Ride' issue - but that's probably also affected by both my tender age when I bought it from the Harrow Model Shop at the end of 1980, and the realisation that a Class 86 was to be made.

Well, I'm influenced by my age, as I was 16 in 1981. I've got the complete set of Catalogues. And whilst the late 60s and early 70's have some great artwork and "inspiration" I'd have to say, overall, "Ticket to Ride" (1981) is the zenith for me! 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, 009 micro modeller said:

I am pretty certain that this is a model made by my late friend Bernard King, a photograph I have of Bernard's model looks pretty much identical.

He and his twin brother Reg built up an association with Ealing Studios and made various models of sets and the like for display in cinemas. Bernard did donate various models to this museum to my knowledge, if the above is Bernard's then it will be 16 inches long.

It will owe nothing to "LBSC", Bernard was a skilled artist and draughtsman and had access to all of the information that Ealing Studios used in creating their rather larger mock ups(!)

He was particularly taken with the Titfield Thunderbolt, for various reasons, and in my new book on The Titfield Thunderbolt I write him up a bit.

A lovely man, very much missed.

Simon

Edited by Not Jeremy
LBSC
  • Like 13

44 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

It will owe nothing to "LBSC", Bernard was a skilled artist and draughtsman and had access to all of the information that Ealing Studios used in creating their rather larger mock ups(!)

Speaking of which, did the life-size wooden Thunderbolt model used for the museum scenes in the film survive?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, 009 micro modeller said:

Speaking of which, did the life-size wooden Thunderbolt model used for the museum scenes in the film survive?

For a while. I have a story and new information in in the new book that describes what happened, together with a brilliant photograph of the full sized mock up the Studios.

I am working on it now, for release this year, to go with Rapido's lovely models and publicity too.

Simon 

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 20/07/2022 at 11:19, 009 micro modeller said:

Perhaps Hornby can approach the museum and seek a licence to make a model of this model 😉?

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 7

On 14/07/2022 at 23:05, 1E BoY said:

The area around North Road station is currently being restored and improved as outlined here https://www.head-of-steam.co.uk/rail-heritage-quarter/rail-heritage-quarter/ 

Not that you'd notice.

It seems appropriate on a Hornby topic to consider just how far you can get with only flashy announcements and even flashier computer generated imagery.

This is actually how the site of the grand entrance to be built up from street level currently appears.  One wonders if the Council knows the celebration is for 2025?

20220711_202629.jpg.75e30cca5b513583be05baa553bf313e.jpg20220711_202704.jpg.22ae746e49e48d23bc230895842f75c0.jpg20220711_202934.jpg.3fac0868c4ea9cbd07f7b6b78751a494.jpg

Locomotion at Shildon is getting a second exhibition hall as announced earlier and approved here https://www.locomotion.org.uk/about-us/press-office/new-exhibition-building-locomotion-gets-green-light-plans-approved whilst the historical buildings at the far end of the site have already been restored over the past couple of years.

Good. 

The photographs show the work in progress on Hackworth's House and the restored goods shed in November 2020 when I was last in the area.

DSC_0260.JPG

DSC_0268.JPG

Lovely. At least someone's done something!

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Elvinley said:

"We apologise for any inconvenience caused." 

It is not an apology, just a blanket cut and paste statement that does not even acknowledge they have actually behaved badly, the use of the word "any" instead of "the" shows that they are not even admitting that they have for sure done something that justifies an apology, as "nothing" is still covered by "any"

They know exactly what they have done and for the so called apology to be so non specific means that they are not apologising for what they have done at all, but would like you to think they are.

Edited by Titan
  • Like 2
  • Agree 5

19 minutes ago, Titan said:

It is not an apology, just a blanket cut and paste statement that does not even acknowledge they have actually behaved badly, the use of the word "any" instead of "the" shows that they are not even admitting that they have for sure done something that justifies an apology, as "nothing" is still covered by "any"

They know exactly what they have done and for the so called apology to be so non specific means that they are not apologising for what they have done at all, but would like you to think they are.

The non apology, apology!

The only thing in Private Eye that was not true were the apologies.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Titan said:

Look on the bright side - at least they didn't add the even more meaningless piece of nonsense  'Lessons have been learned'😇

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Look on the bright side - at least they didn't add the even more meaningless piece of nonsense  'Lessons have been learned'😇

The catch all "Lessons will be learned", (well, until the next time it happens.😄)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Titan said:

Were you a scriptwriter for Yes, Minister?

• Funny 6