RMweb

Graham Farish Class 90

AY Mod

It's just been pointed out to me on another forum that the Anglia locos have modified light clusters and air horn grill. I wonder if Farish have allowed for that in their tooling?

Regards,

John P

Man...i havent seen Kinlet Wharf for ages.....if ever there was a case for good new AC electrics in N gauge its this..   more suited to longer trains that can fit smaller spaces.....probably a better seller long term than shrinking the class 85

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Crepello said:

Aren't the '87' bogies similar to the '90'? I'm hoping for  a spin-off!

No idea how different they are in reality I'm sure someone is far more knowledgeable than me....but I was thinking the same thing. The 90s were originally only going to be 87/2 so the differences can't be so big. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, jpendle said:

It's just been pointed out to me on another forum that the Anglia locos have modified light clusters and air horn grill. I wonder if Farish have allowed for that in their tooling?

Regards,

John P

You’d like to think so given the amount of minor variations on the OO 47/37 that have been tooled, but it’s also possible they decided in N it wasn’t worth the extra cost of additional tooling for the different lighting layout and grill for the relatively few locos so fitted - 15, I think, out of 50? Plus it only rules out the most recent Greater Anglia scheme anyway, I’m pretty sure some 90s made it in to National Express livery before the lights and grill were changed across the whole Anglia fleet. 

3 hours ago, Crepello said:

Aren't the '87' bogies similar to the '90'? I'm hoping for  a spin-off!

The bogies are more or less identical, everything else visible not so much, but an 87 would be nice (just not before the West Country / BoB they’ve been quietly working on for the next announcements!! 😆

Tom. 

Edited by TomE

1 hour ago, TomE said:

15, I think, out of 50? Plus it only rules out the most recent Greater Anglia scheme anyway, I’m pretty sure some 90s made it in to National Express livery before the lights and grill were changed across the whole Anglia fleet.

90001 - 15.

Using 90001 as a test case, horn grill changed late 2008 and lights changed in 2013. Debranded One Anglia, with a white National Express stripe for both dates. Subsequent liveries that could also be modelled include National Express East Anglia, Abellio Greater Anglia, Intercity Swallow (90001, 002) and Freightliner orange (90003 - 015).

Even if the horn grill and actual light moulding is a compromise,  it'd be nice if they could maybe fit a bi colour LED in the tail light aperture and not fit one for the outer markers. Anyway, let's not get ahead of ourselves,  batch one has got to hit the shops yet! Hopefully one of us remembers to ask Bachmann at Leamington in September 

Jo

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, bmthtrains - David said:

Wonder what he means - possibly new container flats? These would clash with C-Rail’s. Unlikely to be new MK 3s surely given Dapol’s offering. They’d need to do the DVT as well, another duplication.

David 

Mk.2fs in Swallow & Virgin would be my bet. 

The Dapol Mk.3 is not without it's issues, the most glaring of which being the flat ends and questionable roof shape, so a new one to modern standards would be very welcome in my book. I suspect it may well be one of the few items in N Gauge where the market could sustain two models given the time in service, number of liveries and geographical coverage.

Tom. 

• Agree 2

55 minutes ago, bmthtrains - David said:

Wonder what he means - possibly new container flats? These would clash with C-Rail’s.

They don't need to be FSA/FTA's. The FCA's haven't been done in any scale. I'd like a rake of FCA's to make up a Knowsley - Wilton Binliner.

Regards,

John P

• RMweb Premium

Don't go with any of the offered 90s though.

FKA and FAAs are missing too, I'm not sure the market is really crying out for any of those though. I wonder about the FFA/FGA. They've done them in OO, and they'd overlap well with the earlier 90 liveries.

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, njee20 said:

Don't go with any of the offered 90s though.

FKA and FAAs are missing too, I'm not sure the market is really crying out for any of those though. I wonder about the FFA/FGA. They've done them in OO, and they'd overlap well with the earlier 90 liveries.

FFA/FGA--now you're talking.  I'd love to replicate those early days with grey/red containers too.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Gang;

The pre-production Class 90s on display on the Bachmann stand looked pretty awesome. I'd be interested to see under the hood at the chassis construction to see what developments have been made with a view to using the chassis for other (future) projects.

All liveries looked neatly applied but I was surprised that previous running numbers eg 90004 City of Glasgow, are being re-used rather than the option of using something not previously produced.

They may have missed a trick in not offering two running numbers of the Freightliner G&W version, but I suppose that is an option for a future run with an 'A' suffix for the stock code.

All we need now is a credible version of Mk3 Catenary Masts and portals, and I may have to start working on a design for multi track spans...will need to brush up on my soldering skills!!

Later;

Stu from EGVN

Edited by Stu from EGDL
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Stu from EGDL said:

All liveries looked neatly applied but I was surprised that previous running numbers eg 90004 City of Glasgow, are being re-used rather than the option of using something not previously produced.

All the numbers on offer have been produced on their OO tooling, so they are merely scaling down the artwork for these. If OO had used 90001 as the Virign one thats what we would have had

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/08/2022 at 15:47, Ed-farms said:

Surely the fact that the Scotrail coaches are easy to find suggests these are not as popular as the 1990's era models so Farish are tapping into this market more.

I do agree with the 2nd part, they have done both in OO so natural they will want to complete the set, they did say thats what they want given the reassons behind OO brake van.

But overall great news for me, I will be getting my hands on a few of these

Totally agree.

Surely a higher percentage of buyers are modelling more national layouts based on the 90's/early 2000's rather than Scottish sleeper services. And the abundance of those carriages compared to the likes of InterCity liveried stock shows this clearly.

I also hope there wil be a re-run of Dapol's loco hauled virgin mk3 buffets and DVT's too, as these are virtually impossible to get hold of. Or better still, a completely new DVT from farish.

Edited by johny retro
Thought of something
  • Like 1

On 02/10/2022 at 07:48, johny retro said:

Let's hope a re-run of their mk2f's happens, as I still need a load of InterCity tso's for my mid 80's/early 90's sets. As well as the likes of swallow, virgin, Anglia, drs, ATW etc.

I think we can predict they will, OO had Virgin and Intercity swallow stock around the time of the first bath of 90's so its logical N gauge will see the same. Only one missing something really is the RES 90, given a RES 47 is coming too what are the chances of some new parcels stock on the horizon?

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Closely examining one at Hinckley last weekend I wasn't impressed to see the quality (or lack of it) of the pantograph.  Cheaper Continental models have better......

Les

(who runs his pantographs in contact with the overhead)

• RMweb Premium

Many European models use overscale generic pantographs still from what I’ve seen, but the European market still seems to tend more toward sprung pantographs (which ride the wire like you say), whilst we have more posable, and thus finer ones, as we tend to either eschew wires or use closer to scale ones which won’t support a functional pantograph.

I agree the BWHS pantograph on the 90s seen thus far don’t look overly impressive though, the Revolution one looks far better. I’d also like to hope they’ll do a better job before production. The Stone Faiveley on the 319 looks good. 

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

The good news from Warley is the 90s will be here before Christmas (well, good news except to the wallet!) 

Production samples were on display in the members area and they really do look excellent. In the flesh the pantograph and roof detail look fine with the exception of the insulators not being painted but the reason why has been explained. 

2D80CA52-8E31-4695-B075-602843F304C8.jpeg.49b81bf44ad4802aa75afa11e0534609.jpeg

Tom. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 29/11/2022 at 22:05, TomE said:

The good news from Warley is the 90s will be here before Christmas (well, good news except to the wallet!) 

Production samples were on display in the members area and they really do look excellent. In the flesh the pantograph and roof detail look fine with the exception of the insulators not being painted but the reason why has been explained. 

2D80CA52-8E31-4695-B075-602843F304C8.jpeg.49b81bf44ad4802aa75afa11e0534609.jpeg

Tom. 

Super photo thanks for posting it👍, it will be a good Christmas this year 🙂. What was the reason the insulators aren't painted? 

All the best,

Dave