Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Accurascale Goes Bananas! SR D1478 and D1479 Diagram Banana Vans in OO/4mm

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

But how on earth do I justify a banana van on the Withered Arm at Halwill? The quality is not in doubt, the justification wafer thin! 

How do you think I feel @Oldddudders😉

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

But how on earth do I justify a banana van on the Withered Arm at Halwill? The quality is not in doubt, the justification wafer thin! 

Haha. But, they could run when no one is looking… mine will! 

Lovely models and a great starting point for future 4-wheeled vehicles: there are so many examples that aren’t produced in kit or RTR form.

Best wishes,

Nick.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

How do you think I feel @Oldddudders😉

Hmm. Let's suppose a ship from the Windies has been in trouble on the briny, and gratefully puts into Plymouth for repairs rather later than the expected date at Southampton. There is a panic to get the bananas to the ripening store, and while the Southern provides the van(s) it is agreed that a fast freight up the GWR is in the customer's best interest?

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 7

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Surely they had greengrocers?  Maybe an enterprising one trans-shipped to lorries for delivery all over the West Country?

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Very nice! A pack of Tadpoles for the Llantrisant - Kingswinford coke will do us very nicely thank you as will be able to justify why it went north as a class 8 but came back as a class 6 with those in the train. Also a pack of late BR ones to go in the rake of Red Panda/Dapol hybrids we have… will put those to shame looking at that lovely brake gear. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

Great announcement but would it be at all possible to do a 3 pack with 3 different wagons in it? I know people run block trains but others like me dont like having more than a few of the same wagon. 

I believe that they do indeed come in a packet of three.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Very welcome - well done.   Nice underframe too guv - very handy for 'future developments' 😇 

However for a proper banana train you do need a right old mixture of vans as shown below (sorry it's not good quality but it's snipped out of a picture that was meant to concentrate on the EE Type 3 at the head of the train)

1995241288_nanavans.jpg.9dcafe5a745c05a0316f11c0c280ffe9.jpg

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

Wow just what I want. I need them for Grange road, Rowfant. There was a freight working on a Saturday morning from East Grinstead via Three Bridges that included Banana vans from Lingfield. 

Also need to know if EM wheel sets will fit.

Keith

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Top marks for this one! The vans had always been very High Polling in the annual 00 Wishlist Poll and were very nearly in The Top 50 in 2019 (the last Poll to run).

We wish Accurascale every success with these vehicles!

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Very welcome - well done.   Nice underframe too guv - very handy for 'future developments' 😇 

However for a proper banana train you do need a right old mixture of vans as shown below (sorry it's not good quality but it's snipped out of a picture that was meant to concentrate on the EE Type 3 at the head of the train)

1995241288_nanavans.jpg.9dcafe5a745c05a0316f11c0c280ffe9.jpg

Yes cracking mix of vans there Mike. Throw in a few ratio kits to our Accurascale/Dapol hybrid mix and we are starting to get there….

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, mudmagnet said:

Well that is a surprise. Ordered one of the departmental wagons, but very tempted by a pack of three.

Can EM wheel sets be dropped in?

They have Blackened brass bearings conforming to accurascale standards of 14.4mm back-to-back on 2mm axles over 26mm pinpoints. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Excellent news.

I shall be watching your underpinnings as usual!!

Mike.

Yes nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition…. 😀

Fetch the EM axles and wheelsets Cardinal Fang….

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Funny 6

Whilst probably not for me being a bit too early it is nevertheless a lovely model, and the metal chassis is a brilliant development.  However, the text about the history of banana traffic on the railways was fascinating, something I knew little of, it being largely gone by the time I became interested in railways.

I expect another sell out incoming.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3