Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby announce TT:120

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, CME and Bottlewasher said:

I've been told, via email, all of my joining details could take up to two months. Looks like TT120 will be popular if membership demand is anything to go by? I'm in no hurry.

That's a good thing, both for modellers and for Hornby. Bigger chance that there will be more phases to come, and maybe some more producers too. I think this can be big, seeing the interest and comments on social media. Of course, high numbers of free membership don't proof anything....

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

It looks like the uptake of "free" memberships has exceeded Hornbys most optimistic expectations. If even a small proportion of those memberships are converted into pre-orders in the first instance, and continuing orders in the future, then Hornby will be very happy bunnies indeed!

• Like 8
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, Johan DC said:

That's a good thing, both for modellers and for Hornby. Bigger chance that there will be more phases to come, and maybe some more producers too. I think this can be big, seeing the interest and comments on social media. Of course, high numbers of free membership don't proof anything....

I agree entirely - let's hope it's a goer though....

1 hour ago, PeterStiles said:

although, on the converse a "small number" of "free membership" would have said an awful lot...

Good point well made too.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Yay, my magazine arrived. Looks interesting. Could still do with an old-fashioned diagram like you used to get at the back of the catalogue showing track radii and how it all fits together with dimensions etc. Then could maybe start planning. Would suggest a Track plans book might be a good idea, showing just what's achievable in the smaller space.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, Legend said:

Yay, my magazine arrived. Looks interesting. Could still do with an old-fashioned diagram like you used to get at the back of the catalogue showing track radii and how it all fits together with dimensions etc. Then could maybe start planning. Would suggest a Track plans book might be a good idea, showing just what's achievable in the smaller space.

One due I believe. Can't remember where I saw it though.

Personally, I'm going to dig out the old PECO 60 Plans For Small Locations book, many of those would be ideal for TT. Most always seemed a bit too cramped for 00.

Jason

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Hroth said:

It looks like the uptake of "free" memberships has exceeded Hornbys most optimistic expectations. If even a small proportion of those memberships are converted into pre-orders in the first instance, and continuing orders in the future, then Hornby will be very happy bunnies indeed!

I think Hornby have been quite clever about it. It means that they can concentrate their advertising for TT on people who they know are interested, or at least curious. I'd love to find out from their marketing bods if that was the intention.

• Agree 2

21 minutes ago, Legend said:

Could still do with an old-fashioned diagram like you used to get at the back of the catalogue showing track radii and how it all fits together with dimensions etc. Then could maybe start planning.

Its been mentioned before, but Anyrail 6 now has both Peco and Hornby TT:120 track libraries. The free to download evaluation edition can be used to try out quite large (up to 50 track sections) layout ideas.

Edited by Hroth
More info
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ha_Charade_UR said:

I've just had the magazine arrive.  Not had a chance to read it yet but I'm sure it will keep me entertained for bit until the rest of the membership pack gets here.   

Wow!  How slow do you read? 😆

• Funny 8

2 hours ago, Legend said:

Could still do with an old-fashioned diagram like you used to get at the back of the catalogue showing track radii and how it all fits together with dimensions etc.

You can get most of the information you need from the track page in the downloadable brochure.   The key thing is that the points and crossings are not of radii 1-4 but much larger radius but have the matching return curves, and that things work on 15 degree curves mostly rather than 22.5 degree curves like the 00 range.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, britishcolumbian said:

I was actually thinking compromise by using 6.5/Z gauge, but didn't get any further than that really. It was one of my many "hey this could be something to model" thoughts that don't ever go anywhere. 

For me this is one of the (slightly oblique, admittedly, and not relevant to RTR) advantages of TT3 over TT120 - narrow gauge modelling. In 3mm scale 9mm is 3ft gauge (so ironically, prior to the introduction of British TT120, one of the things that might have motivated me to go to TT scale was the lack of TT gauge equipment, if I’d wanted to do a 3ft gauge prototype - i.e. it would have been easier to do TTn3 than 00n3). In 1:120 9mm is more like 3’ 6”, which I like but which is relatively uncommon, except for trams or in countries where it’s used with big rolling stock as an alternative to standard gauge. TTe (on 6.5mm gauge, representing 2’ 6” or similar in 1:120) is good, but a bit wide for 2ft (it is in 3mm as well, though not by as much - a similar situation to H0e and 009). I’d still prefer to do standard gauge modelling in 1:120 rather than 3mm but it would complicate things a little if I wanted to have multiple gauges on the same layout.

I’ve thought previously that the Camber Railway would be an interesting prototype as well, although not sure I’d necessarily choose 1:120 scale if I was to model it. Also I’m not sure how much information is available about the route taken etc.

Edited by 009 micro modeller

28 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Delayed action couplings…..nirvana, if only……we can but dream.

Delayed action couplings are spelt 'K-A-D-E-E'..... 😉🤣🤣🤣

Got my 'Issue 1' mag today despite no membership pack yet. Yes, "Free" has a LOT to do with it in my case. I note the use of (I assume) a Railroad/ex-Lima 37 as a mock-up photo. I do hope that isn't what they plan for their TT:120 version!! 😱

• Agree 2

41 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

I note the use of (I assume) a Railroad/ex-Lima 37 as a mock-up photo. I do hope that isn't what they plan for their TT:120 version!! 😱

Yes, it's the Lima-bodied Railroad 37884, the windscreens are especially poor on that rendition, although the bogie fronts appear to be a hybrid/ composite effort. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, frobisher said:

You can get most of the information you need from the track page in the downloadable brochure.   The key thing is that the points and crossings are not of radii 1-4 but much larger radius but have the matching return curves, and that things work on 15 degree curves mostly rather than 22.5 degree curves like the 00 range.

The curved track 1st to 6th radius, does anyone know what radii these are in mm/inches?

edit: ah! just seen it on their  website 1st = 267mm,  6th = 640 mm.

Edited by philsandy

• RMweb Premium

Today I received the club magazine.

According to pages 13-14 when Prad Gurung contributes as part of SK's conversation, I'm pleased the class 66 is being designed from scratch and not based on the ex-Lima tooling.

I hope Hornby caters for its variations especially the low-emission versions. So far I've held off preordering examples. 

The only loco I've preordered at this stage (of the diesels) is the rail blue 08 because there are finished pre-production models.

Edited by gc4946
clarification

27 minutes ago, philsandy said:

The curved track 1st to 6th radius, does anyone know what radii these are in mm/inches?

edit: ah! just seen it on their  website 1st = 267mm,  6th = 640 mm.

More specifically, R1-4 with a 43mm track spacing, and a nominal 6th which would fall between 9th and 10th based on that track spacing but matches the pointwork and crossings. 

• Informative/Useful 1