Hornby announce TT:120

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

HST Train set now up for preorder :

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/high-speed-train-set-tt1004m?clickref=1101lyoc9xDy

This train set features the following: a Class 43 HST power car numbered E43063, a Class 43 HST dummy car numbered E43062, two Mk3 TS coaches numbered E42064 and E42065, a transformer, a train controller, a buffer stop, a full curve, a power straight, a standard straight, a 3rd full curve, a left-hand point and a re-railer.

Not any more it isnt!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Drat.  If they stick to that price then I will be ordering a blue and grey HST set after all.  It’s too good to pass up.  I’d been determined to wait until later because the HST is a little outside my era.

Edited by J-Lewis

There is a post on the Hornby Bluetooth decoders thread saying that the sound profiles for the TT:120 Duchess, Class 50 and Class 66 are due to be released by the end of the month (although I haven't checked this myself).

However the shop is showing 'Expected' dates of Summer (for the Duchess and Class 50) and Autumn (for the Class 66) for the locos.

If they're releasing the sound profiles soon then maybe the shop dates for these locos are being pessimistic. Fingers crossed!

EDIT: Or maybe it is the easiest way for the factory in China to get hold of the profiles to preload them onto the sound-fitted locos, which are due to be released at the same time as the DC locos...?

Edited by Porfuera

On 19/03/2024 at 10:23, JohnR said:

Not any more it isnt!

Gutted to gave missed this! An accidental leak? If anyone is interested, It's also the first time Hornby will have produced an original BR Blue Class 43 HST as a train set since 1983! And the first time since a British Rail Class 43 HST train set was released since May 1996 (the limited edition 20th anniversary set with additional MK3 buffet car) and the standard uncatalogued InterCity 125 set 1996 -1997. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Michanglais said:

Random question:

I use Tillig radius 396mm curves. Could anyone tell me what that is equivalent to in terms of R1, R2, R3, R4 in the Hornby range?

Cheers,

Michael

Hi Michael, a quick search of the Hornby shop answers your question. Its R4.

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/curve-4th-radius-tt8006

Edited by Hobby

57 minutes ago, RyanN91 said:

Gutted to gave missed this! An accidental leak? If anyone is interested, It's also the first time Hornby will have produced an original BR Blue Class 43 HST as a train set since 1983! And the first time since a British Rail Class 43 HST train set was released since May 1996 (the limited edition 20th anniversary set with additional MK3 buffet car) and the standard uncatalogued InterCity 125 set 1996 -1997. 

Yeah, the hypothesis floating around is that it's going to be revealed on April 2nd. Those updating the website just accidentally launch the page before the event. It's set for an Autumn release. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, GenericRMWebUsername said:

Yeah, the hypothesis floating around is that it's going to be revealed on April 2nd. Those updating the website just accidentally launch the page before the event. It's set for an Autumn release. 

Thank you. I'm glad I didn't see it actually!

Although I can't wait to see the artwork of the product box packaging design!

I also wonder if the "Mainline Express era 7 train set" will also be in phase two? It appears that Andy was correct after all back in October 2022, about there being a BR HST train set! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, RyanN91 said:

I dont think its something you've missed - its more a case of it went live too early - the TT120 announcement is next week.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Michanglais said:

Does anyone know how the TT:120 announcements will be made next week? 

Live on YouTube, on the Hornby website, etc?

According to the mail of 12/03, it'll be on YT, so I think they will send a link to that in the coming days:

image.png.5d359838f28bcfd203104a96f3a4a7a1.png

• Thanks 1

Cross post from the HST thread as many seem to have purchased them here:

Just wondering whether anyone else was having this problem.

My HST has terrible wheel-slip issues hauling a full 8-car set. It just grinds to a halt with the wheels spinning. When I detach the power car from the train, it runs just fine. 

I'm wondering whether it wouldn't benefit from a couple of the dreaded traction tyres. 

I'd like to hear pointers and opinions.

Cheers,

Michael

• Like 2

On 29/03/2024 at 09:56, Michanglais said:

Cross post from the HST thread as many seem to have purchased them here:

Just wondering whether anyone else was having this problem.

My HST has terrible wheel-slip issues hauling a full 8-car set. It just grinds to a halt with the wheels spinning. When I detach the power car from the train, it runs just fine. 

I'm wondering whether it wouldn't benefit from a couple of the dreaded traction tyres. 

I'd like to hear pointers and opinions.

Cheers,

Michael

Mine had no problem at all with eight cars (four carriages and two bogie container wagons!) in either direction.

I decided to have a little experiment.

I filed down the axle points just slightly on one Mk3. 

The conclusion? A much freer roll in comparison to an unmodified Mk3. 

I think that will sort out some major issues. Unfortunately, I haven't got the time to do all coaches and test run due to having to pack up for a house move. 

As all wheelsets have the same issue, I'm probably have to do the whole train of 8 coaches to know for sure but it would seem that the axles are slightly too long or the bogies frames too 'tight'. 

I shall report back when I can.

Cheers,

Michael

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Michanglais said:

I decided to have a little experiment.

I filed down the axle points just slightly on one Mk3. 

The conclusion? A much freer roll in comparison to an unmodified Mk3. 

I think that will sort out some major issues. Unfortunately, I haven't got the time to do all coaches and test run due to having to pack up for a house move. 

As all wheelsets have the same issue, I'm probably have to do the whole train of 8 coaches to know for sure but it would seem that the axles are slightly too long or the bogies frames too 'tight'. 

I shall report back when I can.

Cheers,

Michael

I really hope this works for you! It's very frustrating to get a model that doesn't work (I know from personal experience). Whether or not this fix works, I would recommend emailing Hornby about it. While you might not need anything fixed or replaced, it's good for them to hear about any abnormalities in their design/manufacturing processes so they can be addressed. I'm guessing this was a problem in early batches of the Mk 3s. Some might be afflicted while others are fine. But whatever it is, the sooner they hear about it the better! 

Moving can be a pain. I hope your move goes as smoothly possible! 

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, GenericRMWebUsername said:

I really hope this works for you! It's very frustrating to get a model that doesn't work (I know from personal experience). Whether or not this fix works, I would recommend emailing Hornby about it. While you might not need anything fixed or replaced, it's good for them to hear about any abnormalities in their design/manufacturing processes so they can be addressed. I'm guessing this was a problem in early batches of the Mk 3s. Some might be afflicted while others are fine. But whatever it is, the sooner they hear about it the better! 

Moving can be a pain. I hope your move goes as smoothly possible! 

Thanks for the well wishes for the move - indeed not fun, lol!

I sort of have passed the message on to Hornby. I initially contacted Technical Services thinking there was something wrong with the gearing/motor in the HST powercar but when I realised it was the Mk3s, I contacted them again to say I'd found a likely guilty culprit - the Mk3s. 

It'll be interesting to see what they say when they respond - I'll be interested to see if other people have found the same issue.

Maybe I should drop a line to Customer Services, too. In fact I may as well do that now.

Cheers,

Michael

• Thanks 1

I have a video to go out at 9:15am on the 2nd covering the full releases. I did get the press release and media library so it isn’t guesswork and covers all the items being announced with high-res images:

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I see, according to the Hornby website, the Class 50s are now in stock, along with the blue/grey Mk3s (if it hasn't been mentioned elsewhere already).

Hoping they don't sell out too quickly (for purely selfish reasons!) because I'm in the middle of a move and wouldn't know to which address to get the parcel posted!

I wonder if these will be part of tomorrow's announcement - stuff that's come into stock recently? It has to be said, we've gone from 0 to 100km/h last month for 'modern image' modellers.

Edited by Michanglais
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Michanglais said:

I see, according to the Hornby website, the Class 50s are now in stock, along with the blue/grey Mk3s (if it hasn't been mentioned elsewhere already).

I believe that's a website error - when you go on the actual product they still show as preorder.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, moawkwrd said:

I believe that's a website error - when you go on the actual product they still show as preorder.

Aha!

Well, that kind of suits me better financially and physically.

Shows you shouldn't jump to conclusions with the Hornby website!

Cheers,

Michael

• Like 1