Hornby announce TT:120

AY Mod

59 minutes ago, 009 micro modeller said:

I know, I was actually thinking more about the ability to run through points etc.

I drove one for a circuit of Pete Waterman's layout when they came out. Plenty of points there. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, britishcolumbian said:

No, you're definitely right... but it's better than nothing... there is a good amount of stock for eras 4 through 6... but a dearth of power. There's the Beckmann État steamer I have... a V36 good for post-ww2 period... and a TRAXX in silver and green era VI... but now Tillig seem to have an 040TX, so a second post-war engine:

https://www.tillig.com/eng/Produkte/produktinfo-72014.html

But your point is still true, yeah. Can you make a French scene of any sort without some form of Nez Cassé?

But the 040TX- though built in France- were, like the 150X, a German design  (a KDL4 - Kriegsdampflok 4) that had been ordered i 1943 by the occupying Germans from the French builder Schneider in Le Creusot. Apart from the first four (which were sabotaged but later repaired)  they were completed by Schneider for SNCF after the liberation. 

The first time I knowlingly saw a Nez Cassé, it was an ONCF  diesel in Morocco!

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 1

A bit of late night philosophy.  I am somewhat fascinated with TT and have an Easterner and a Peco point and have built the Peco signal box.  However being a P4 modeller I have trouble with OO wheels and O-16.5 performance.  If I was to get serious about TT it would have to be a spacious layout along N lines but with the added fidelity and presence of TT, although when suitable stock is available perhaps a GWR station......

• Like 1

I'm rather delighted at my HST pack that arrived yesterday (small issue with the blanking plate but once that was put properly in place, it runs fine). 

I'm also delighted to see the Mk3s being released at the same time. I thought they weren't due 'til the summer (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!). 

I wonder if this is some joined-up thinking from Hornby - for instance, will at least one of the Mk2 variants be released at the same time as the class 50, etc.?

I guess with production slots being difficult to allocate logistically it might not always be the case.

Anyway, I feel Hornby have done themselves proud with this release.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Michanglais said:

I'm rather delighted at my HST pack that arrived yesterday (small issue with the blanking plate but once that was put properly in place, it runs fine). 

I'm also delighted to see the Mk3s being released at the same time. I thought they weren't due 'til the summer (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!). 

I wonder if this is some joined-up thinking from Hornby - for instance, will at least one of the Mk2 variants be released at the same time as the class 50, etc.?

I guess with production slots being difficult to allocate logistically it might not always be the case.

Anyway, I feel Hornby have done themselves proud with this release.

Congratulations on the Class 43! 

You're correct on all counts. There was a bit of a disconnect between what Hornby's marketing and executive teams were saying, and what the Hornby website was saying. The website still says the BR Blue Mk 3s are due in the Summer, even though we know that they are set for release in a few weeks. In general, I don't take the Hornby website's arrival dates with any seriousness. They can shift backwards and forwards depending on the situation. The materials like the magazine and Train Terminals are more reliable on arrival dates. We got confirmation that the Mk 3s were in this shipment a few months ago, but people were still nervous based on the website. 

And again, you're exactly right about releasing corresponding coaches and locomotives. Hornby has set the release of the LMS coaches to go along with the Duchesses, and the Mk 2fs to go with the Class 50s. We're also likely to receive the long-promised LMR Mk 1 coaches to go with the Duchesses too. Those should be announced at the early April event. 

Edited by GenericRMWebUsername
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 01/03/2024 at 19:58, britishcolumbian said:

I have a small DR railbus from Kres (VT 135 IIRC), which I've measured up and will be ordering an AC Railbus body from Lincoln Loco once I get back to Canada, as the Kres railbus will fit. 

There can't be many in Ghana who have ever heard of Kres!

SVT 137

8c0059748a.jpg

Edited by maico
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, maico said:

There can't be many in Ghana who have ever heard of Kres!

SVT 137

8c0059748a.jpg

I've only been here since October, and going home end of July. I don't think many people here at all have heard of model railways in general...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hobby said:

Blimey, they're not cheap! I think I'll stick with the BTTB VT135 for my conversion!!

I got it in a sense as an "inheritance", when one of the members of our local TT group passed away, and his trains were left to us to divide amongst the membership. I chose the VT135 specifically for conversion to an AC Railbus.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, britishcolumbian said:

I got it in a sense as an "inheritance", when one of the members of our local TT group passed away, and his trains were left to us to divide amongst the membership. I chose the VT135 specifically for conversion to an AC Railbus.

Are PMT TT120 powered bogies any use to you?

https://www.pmt-modelle.de/2011/seiten/pmt_katalog_6.pdf

Edited by maico

11 minutes ago, maico said:

Are PMT TT120 powered bogies any use to you?

https://www.pmt-modelle.de/2011/seiten/pmt_katalog_6.pdf

PMT have a couple of things that are of interest to me for another project (namely the Hungarian Eas cars), didn't know about their powered bogies, though. It'd be good to get more precise dimensions of them to figure out what those HOm units might fit under, maybe some of those might work for some other bodies that Lincoln Loco offer...

Just a quick update for anyone who is interested...

My 8-car rake of MK3s arrived this morning. They're a delight to behold. Standing up very well when compared to the latest OO versions and a massive improvement over Dapol's N-gauge renderings, which always seemed slightly out of shape to me.

I'm further pleased to say it was an 8 for 8, as well. All vehicles being complete, in perfect condition with all couplers working correctly (bit of an improvement over some quality issues with Mk1s). 

I've now had them running (propelled) for over an hour without incident. They seem to be very surefooted. And that's saying something given that I'm running on the floor over century-old parquet, which, combined with my Tillig snap-track, makes for a somewhat uneven running surface. Certainly, I haven't always been so lucky with N-gauge European stock of approximately equal weight. (Not to mention the value difference - I think I paid around €43 per MK3 and European N coach models are usually €50 to €65 a piece). 

I shall now run the train for as long as I can to check the motorised power car has no issues (unfortunately both my A4 and 08 had to go back, the former after quite a bit of running), then it'll be fitting DCC sound and swapping out all the provided couplers with magnetic ones from the wonderful TJ Modèles here in France (coupling lengths are offered at 0.25mm length differences so you can really ensure close coupling no matter what stock you're running - they do despatch to the UK! - not affiliated, just a very satisfied customer).

Looking forward to more like this from Hornby!

Cheers,

Michael

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 05/03/2024 at 23:59, Pacific231G said:

But the 040TX- though built in France- were, like the 150X, a German design  (a KDL4 - Kriegsdampflok 4) that had been ordered i 1943 by the occupying Germans from the French builder Schneider in Le Creusot. Apart from the first four (which were sabotaged but later repaired)  they were completed by Schneider for SNCF after the liberation. 

The first time I knowlingly saw a Nez Cassé, it was an ONCF  diesel in Morocco!

The 040TX is Tillig but it is an H0 model.

Even in N gauge there has, AFAIK, only been one mass-produced (I.e.  on-Fulgurex)  non-German SNCF steam loco, and that only very recently — the Arnold 141R, and that of a class with more than 1000 examples that lasted till almost the end of steam. And despite having two domestic manufacturers, no steam locos of Austrian design have yet been produced in that scale. Apart from Germany, the only country with a reasonable coverage of steam loco models in Europe is the U.K. So it's unlikely that there will be any sch models produced in TT.

There is however a reasonable and increasing range of "modern image" French models in N.

2 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Even in N gauge there has, AFAIK, only been one mass-produced (I.e.  on-Fulgurex)  non-German SNCF steam loco, and that only very recently — the Arnold 141R, and that of a class with more than 1000 examples that lasted till almost the end of steam. And despite having two domestic manufacturers, no steam locos of Austrian design have yet been produced in that scale. Apart from Germany, the only country with a reasonable coverage of steam loco models in Europe is the U.K. So it's unlikely that there will be any sch models produced in TT.

There is however a reasonable and increasing range of "modern image" French models in N.

In TT there are almost only German (and now British) steam available RTR (plus German designs on other railways) - aside from the old HP models from the early days of TT which were US, and one Russian design (Class Ye, I think?) which was done by (IIRC) Peresvet.

Aside from those suitable for my YPM plans, I'm rather hoping that in the fullness of time we'll see models of British types that showed up on the Continent, too...

22 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Rivarossi produced the Nord 231 Chapelon in N as well in the early days of the scale. Admittedly not an SNCF locomotive although inherited in 1938.

• Like 2

On 09/03/2024 at 16:54, Mike Harvey said:

Rivarossi produced the Nord 231 Chapelon in N as well in the early days of the scale. Admittedly not an SNCF locomotive although inherited in 1938.

I bought one by mistake on eBay once thinking it was H0. It found a good home. It wasn't one of SNCF's "Unifiée" (standard) locos but, as in Britain, the majority of its steam locos were inherited from the former main line companies on nationalisation. The difference was that there had already  been quite a lot of commonailty between the major companies before SNCF was created, far more than there ever was from the RCH. That was mainly on coaches and wagons through OCEM but applied to some extent to locos as well. 

The real problem is that, though there were quite a lot of ex German, "reparation", locos in France from the end of the First World War and to a lesser extent from the Second, there were never enough, except perhaps in Alsace.  to make them typical and German steam locos did have a distinctly different "look" when compared with French. 

This probably won't change so far as steam is concerned as enthusiasm for it is far less marked than it is in Britain and the most popular epoch seems to be IV/V (when steam no longer reigned but "tradtional" railway operation was still the norm with wagonload goods and making and breaking of long distance passenger trains still very much a feature.

Judging from exhibitors and attendees at shows, the average age of modellers is also a  lot  younger than it is in Britain    

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

A new "Train Terminal" has been released on the Hornby website. It is mostly about the HSTs and Mk3 coaches (not much new there really), plus advertising for a Key Publishing event at the NEC and also the above-mentioned April 2nd announcement:

https://uk.Hornby.com/community/hornbytt120-club/members-area/blog-and-news/class-43-hst-and-mk3-coaches-zooming-ahead

Edited by Porfuera

• RMweb Gold

So I'm guessing that the naysayers and doom merchants are going to be disappointed on the 2nd April! 🤣

If they do a Stadler FLIRT in TT then I'm in....😁

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

Well how about diesel starter train sets? Not everyone wants an A3 or A4. Or have I missed something? Anyway, that coupled by being shafted by the Australian wholesaler importer meaning I couldn’t buy anything direct from Hornby pricing it out of any sensible person down here’s budget. At least moving it out to retailers helped but it means still there is no benefit from being in the TT120 club as that only benefits if you can buy from Hornby.

So if a diesel set is announced, then I might get drawn in, as I was going to be initially……

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, 47606odin said:

Well how about diesel starter train sets? Not everyone wants an A3 or A4. Or have I missed something?

there is no benefit from being in the TT120 club as that only benefits if you can buy from Hornby.

I doubt they'd be much of a seller, but you never know, the HST would be an obvious one. I'm more interested in them expanding their range rather than messing around introducing more sets.

TBH there's been little benefit in the club since all the discounts went at the end of the first 12 months, I'm only still in it because it's free.

• Like 2