Hornby announce TT:120

AY Mod

21 minutes ago, moawkwrd said:

I believe that's a website error - when you go on the actual product they still show as preorder.

Sometimes this sort of website activity is a sign that items are about to arrive in stock or ship to customers, although the coaches are still showing 'Summer' rather than 'Spring'.

Or maybe they're just trying to generate some extra excitement for tomorrow's announcements 😂

Edited by Porfuera

On the topic of things coming into stock, I have set up Stock Alerts for all era 7 and era 8 models (nothing on pre-order) but I didn't get any alerts for the HST packs or Mk3s.

I've checked my email address is up to date.

Has anyone else found this issue?

I'm already interested in what tomorrow will bring. Work means I'll be late to the foam party, so I'll throw my predictions in now and see how good a guess they were tomorrow lunchtime.

Like lots of people are saying already, I think we'll see what the first small steam loco release will be. My guess is a Jinty.

Further mk1 varieties make sense. The lowest hanging fruit are SKs or SOs, then BGs and RBs.  The first two are already announced, the last is in the 00 range.  Both the latter will sit nicely with the mk2Fs.

As the VEA is planned, a vanwide could slot in nicely. I'm not very clued up on wagons, but my hazy memory suggests that the chassis could be useful for other types. Lowfit and 16t mineral wagons?

Rather than being a prediction, the one thing that could push me into taking up British TT is a DMU. 101 is the most obvious, but for me any of 101/108/116/117/118 would be all the carrot I need. A 150/2 would do it too!

Really though, all I'm expecting is some more detailed information on the phase 3/4 models laid out in the initial brochure.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Taigatrommel said:

Really though, all I'm expecting is some more detailed information on the phase 3/4 models laid out in the initial brochure.

Indeed, this is the crux of it for me too - a small steam tank loco with availability in the next 12 months would be icing on the cake.

Further announcements of TT related stuff from Peco and some other manufacturers would help this year too.

Edited by moawkwrd

1 hour ago, Porfuera said:

Or maybe they're just trying to generate some extra excitement for tomorrow's announcements 😂

There's enough of that already on FB!! 🤣

Picked up my first piece of TT120 at a toyfair this morning, a Peco open wagon! There was some BTTB and TT3 around as well but nothing of interest, though the BTTB reasonably priced.

3 hours ago, Michanglais said:

Aha!

Well, that kind of suits me better financially and physically.

Shows you shouldn't jump to conclusions with the Hornby website!

Cheers,

Michael

It is not the first time they have done this.

Hornby just act as a warm-up clown in what purports to be their own show, while the real actors are the Chinese factory owners and their sullen workers.

It is they who decide what the final purchaser gets, and when. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Taigatrommel said:

I'm already interested in what tomorrow will bring. Work means I'll be late to the foam party, so I'll throw my predictions in now and see how good a guess they were tomorrow lunchtime.

Like lots of people are saying already, I think we'll see what the first small steam loco release will be. My guess is a Jinty.

Further mk1 varieties make sense. The lowest hanging fruit are SKs or SOs, then BGs and RBs.  The first two are already announced, the last is in the 00 range.  Both the latter will sit nicely with the mk2Fs.

As the VEA is planned, a vanwide could slot in nicely. I'm not very clued up on wagons, but my hazy memory suggests that the chassis could be useful for other types. Lowfit and 16t mineral wagons?

Rather than being a prediction, the one thing that could push me into taking up British TT is a DMU. 101 is the most obvious, but for me any of 101/108/116/117/118 would be all the carrot I need. A 150/2 would do it too!

I think the first - maybe the main - item of business will be the announcement of liveries, reference numbers and prices for the Phase 3/4 stuff that's already been anounced - 37, 47, Castle, 57xx , and J94. The phase 1/2 models went up on the website for order very quickly, but nothing outside those models has been added to the shop since, so far as I'm aware (The green 08 which I think was a later addition is an additional livery on a phase 1 model).

Therefore this should be the point at which the next tranche of models become available to pre-order. The 31 is further off - it might or might not feature here

Presumably there will also be new liveries announced for existing models - with the HST out and Class 50 imminent (not to mention 37 and 47 to follow), blue/grey Mk1 CK/BSK seem logical. If you're selling a Castle, you need coaches to support it. That might point to chocolate/cream Mk1s

A Mk1 SK/TSO was promised in the initial brochure. This might be the point where it is confirmed as heading for tooling. With a Stanier 50' BG due for release very soon , a Mk1 BG is not urgent - they could easily announce a run of the Stanier BG in rail blue.

If the Castle is to be available to order, then will they press the button on the Collett CK/BSK they promised in the original launch? (Did Hornby's Collett coaches sell that well in OO? , although those were not corridor stock)

On the wagon front, there will presumably be new liveries for the early oil tanker and the TTA, and the wooden open/mineral ,and it seems a good moment for the van - which is a GW van - to get a release in correct liveries /numbers. The container flat already released on the Continent (KFA I think?) would logically get a British version. 

They might announce 2-4 more of the wagons trailed in the original announcement are now going forward for tooling (Pick your likely candidates).

And to add a bit of splash, I assume one new locomotive will be confirmed as going forward for tooling. If you believe in the Secret Jinty/Terrier then this would be the moment to spring the surprise. Personally I would expect the new loco to be confirmation that the 9F is going forward into tooling

So there will be quite a lot to announce, but most of it is likely to be things we already know about from Phases 3/4 being turned into actual products in the shop that you can order

Think about tooling that Hornby already have that can be used for further items:

Mk1 Restaurant: the SO/SK and Full Brake are already announced but with out any liveries

Streamlined Coronation: same chassis as the Duchess, just a new body tooling

Deltic: Hornby already have the class 50 bogies and it would go much better with the late Mk2's than the Cl 50

Class 50 early bodyshell

Easy Repaints

Cl 50 in Network South East, with Mk1's - for 2026 as the 40th anniversary?

Mk1's in blue and gray - would go with late steam as well as diesels

08 in Freightliner / ESW

First tooling samples

One of the diesels (37/47/31)

Gresley teaks coaches

3d print 

On of the diesels (37/47/31)

Collett coaches

Train Set

47 with cross country Mk2 coaches

There is already so much announced that having a positive progress up-date on half of it would be great :)

Luke

Going onto the subject itself, though, why do I have the feeling that's 15 minutes of my life wasted? Surely they could have done some more such as estimated launch times for future (already announced) models?

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Going onto the subject itself, though, why do I have the feeling that's 15 minutes of my life wasted? Surely they could have done some more such as estimated launch times for future (already announced) models?

That's why I don't like video for this sort of thing. You have to sit and wait.

You could have the same information much faster by heading to a news service and spending a couple of minutes reading - https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/news/hornby-reveals-new-products-for-tt120-range/ 

• Like 6
  • Agree 3

13 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Could that J50 chassis be used for anything else? It seems to have a strange wheelbase.

I’m eyeing it up for a Jinty, yes there are a few differences but it’s more than close enough.

• Thanks 1

Well, at least it's not a Jinty 🤣.

I will have to mull now whether I get a J50 or not. It's not a loco I have any interest in (and an 08 isn't either really). But the ones I would be interested in (Terrier, Austerity tank, or even a Pannier) seem to be just a glint in Hornby's eye and no expectation of being available in the next couple of years. So can I wait another year or two for a shunting engine, or do I pay a sizeable sum for one I don't have a particular desire for just to get something (and presumably shell out again later for the one I do want, if and when they come)...?

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Hobby said:

That's Social Media for you! ;)

But AFAIR Hornby said that they were delaying the digital publishing of the Club magazine because of this announcement. I can understand them not wanting to wait for the next issue to include these items but I think that will have added to the expectations

The magazine doesn't seem to have been uploaded yet so maybe there will be more information on the Phase 3 and 4 items this afternoon.

However there are existing items to be released up right up to the end of the year (Class 50, Duchess, Class 66, green 08 and maybe now the J50, Mk3s, Mk2s, 21T minerals, more coaches maybe) so I'd guess that the Phase 3 items won't get a look-in until next year (and Phase 4 the year after?), although they could still give progress updates on these.

Edited by Porfuera

I think the J50 is a reasonably joined up choice given the existing A3 and A4 locos in the range, and with a BR green class 37 in due course a nucleus of a BR Eastern Region railway is in a small way beginning to form. I think some (but not all) J50s were vacuum braked so one could be pressed into service on a branch passenger train, but it would be cold in the winter with no steam heat. I can see me ordering one and with the BR green 08 incoming, a more joined up small branch terminus type shunting plank begins to look plausible. Again though the J50 is only 6 pin DCC ready, a basic 3 pole motor and presumably no speaker fitted so nothing technically sophisticated about it, which given strides being made in N feels like a bit of a mistake to me.

Roy

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I hope someone asks them on the Q&A for at least a headline update on the progress of the Phase 3, Phase 4 and beyond plans.

E.g. are we still getting the Gresley teak carriages, Castle, 9F, Pannier, Class 37 - and if so about when?

What about future plans previously trailed such as Black 5, Austerity saddle tank, Azumas - are these still planned eventually? Any vague timescale?

23 minutes ago, Roy L S said:

I think the J50 is a reasonably joined up choice given the existing A3 and A4 locos in the range, and with a BR green class 37 in due course a nucleus of a BR Eastern Region railway is in a small way beginning to form. I think some (but not all) J50s were vacuum braked so one could be pressed into service on a branch passenger train, but it would be cold in the winter with no steam heat. I can see me ordering one and with the BR green 08 incoming, a more joined up small branch terminus type shunting plank begins to look plausible. Again though the J50 is only 6 pin DCC ready, a basic 3 pole motor and presumably no speaker fitted so nothing technically sophisticated about it, which given strides being made in N feels like a bit of a mistake to me.

Roy

I have to say, I agree with you on the last point. I model Continental N as well and they seem to be able to fit flywheels, speakers, next 18 decoders, etc. in the models. I don't really see why Hornby couldn't do the same (apart from a lack of experience in a smaller scale for British outline - Arnold N should be able to give them some clues...).

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

I’m puzzled as to what people expect. This is not OO .  I thought the announcements were fine . There’s a previously unannounced loco , the J50, some container wagons and renders of the new 37 . A few re liveries . Looked pretty good to me . I do like the signals . 

the HST may well be the clincher for me to start a new layout with sound , although still would like 37 and a 47 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2