Hornby announce TT:120

AY Mod

2 minutes ago, Legend said:

I’m puzzled as to what people expect. This is not OO .  I thought the announcements were fine . They’re a prebiously unannounced loco , the J50, some container wagons and renders of the new 37 . A few re liveries . Looked pretty good to me . I do like the signals . 

The signals and level crossing looked good and better than their 00 Hornby counterparts. Understandable as the 00 ones must be 40-50 years old.

9 minutes ago, andrewshimmin said:

I hope someone asks them on the Q&A for at least a headline update on the progress of the Phase 3, Phase 4 and beyond plans.

E.g. are we still getting the Gresley teak carriages, Castle, 9F, Pannier, Class 37 - and if so about when?

What about future plans previously trailed such as Black 5, Austerity saddle tank, Azumas - are these still planned eventually? Any vague timescale?

Wasn’t the point made a while ago that Hornby wanted to move away from big annual announcements into more smaller ones which were closer to the releases of the actual items - in which case todays limited announcement makes perfect sense.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, andrewshimmin said:

Well, at least it's not a Jinty 🤣.

I will have to mull now whether I get a J50 or not. It's not a loco I have any interest in (and an 08 isn't either really). But the ones I would be interested in (Terrier, Austerity tank, or even a Pannier) seem to be just a glint in Hornby's eye and no expectation of being available in the next couple of years. So can I wait another year or two for a shunting engine, or do I pay a sizeable sum for one I don't have a particular desire for just to get something (and presumably shell out again later for the one I do want, if and when they come)...?

However more people probably want a Jinty rather than anything else currently in the range....

BTW Terriers weren't shunters they were passenger locomotives!

I did mention the J50 as most likely. Only because it was a recent model so they probably had the CADs ready to go. But a type that was pretty limited in it's use, mostly around London and Yorkshire.

Jason

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, andrewshimmin said:

I hope someone asks them on the Q&A for at least a headline update on the progress of the Phase 3, Phase 4 and beyond plans.

If you want to know why don't you do that?

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, moawkwrd said:

Wasn’t the point made a while ago that Hornby wanted to move away from big annual announcements into more smaller ones which were closer to the releases of the actual items - in which case todays limited announcement makes perfect sense.

I completely agree with that, I don't want big announcements anyway. I'd just like to know if a Black 5 will be coming eventually or not, and whether it's 2 or 20 years away.... But I can't afford to buy it anytime soon, so happy for it to be some way away!

I don't follow this topic, but just seen part of the announcement and it includes B312249 with a badly written MDV. 

This is the prototype, Tinsley September 1986 https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brmdv/e2ffb3fe0

Spot the difference. 

Fine, except this was badly written by someone after a through airpipe was added ... MDW and then the brake rigging is indescribably wrong. Is all of Hornby TTT so horribly wrong, taking the hobby back to the early 1960s? (Triang TT made a good fist of modelling wagons). 

Paul

(Who has had no communication recently from Hornby) 

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Legend said:

I’m puzzled as to what people expect. This is not OO .  I thought the announcements were fine . There’s a prebiously unannounced loco , the J50, some container wagons and renders of the new 37 . A few re liveries . Looked pretty good to me . I do like the signals . 

I agree with all that except I think people were perhaps expecting to hear more about the Phase 3 stuff already mentioned in the catalogue. I'm hoping that will be this afternoon - it sounds like it is a Q&A so I'm hoping that is the whole point of it and maybe doing it at lunchtime will allow more people to join.

As for the containers, those liveries were already announced by Arnold. It will be interesting to see whether they rebox them into Hornby boxes or whether they send them out in the Arnold boxes to try to increase brand awareness for Arnold - although leaving them in the Arnold boxes might just cause too much confusion amongst some customers!

Edited by Porfuera
  • Agree 1

The new Class 37 is shaping up nicely.  I was very pleased to see the split headcode version being shown, I’m hoping for both headcode styles in the first releases.  I loved my old Lima Green split headcode 37 and it would be great to get a TT version.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I love the new signals and level crossing! I love the J50s and the TOUAX, Sffgmss IFA wagons! and the BP/Shell, 12T Tank Wagon looks amazing! the Inter-City 125 High Speed Train Set welcome back to range as a Hornby train set! (even though it was OO gauge) since 1983! I am as of yet to watch the videos on YouTube etc.

please where was the information or CADs etc of the Class 37s I didn't see anything?

Wow! Very little about Phase 3 - just the Class 37 I think.

Phase 3 and 4 over the next 3 or 4 years as mentioned above. New stuff will get interspersed with that.

There were unassembled initial test shots of the J50 from the actual moulds as well as a 3D print.

Duchess and Class 50s next month - analogue versions will arrive slightly before the TXS-fitted ones. Class 66 "on track for November", which we knew already.

A new catalogue will be available with the next Hornby magazine or available to download towards the end of the month(?).

I think that was about it - did I miss anything...?

Edited by Porfuera
Added J50 info
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Porfuera said:

Wow! Very little about Phase 3 - just the Class 37 I think.

Phase 3 and 4 over the next 3 or 4 years as mentioned above. New stuff will get interspersed with that.

Duchess and Class 50s next month - analogue versions will arrive slightly before the TXS-fitted ones. Class 66 "on track for November", which we knew already.

A new catalogue will be available with the next Hornby magazine or available to download towards the end of the month(?).

I think that was about it - did I miss anything...?

It's interesting as in the last hour Hornby have updated the TT:120 section at the bottom of the page where all the click buttons to pages are. The brochures and guides has been updated to a HST cover. While the train sets features the new Inter-City 125 train set.  So I should imagine the April Spring 2024 issue and an updated phase 2 catalogue should be available soon.

20 minutes ago, RyanN91 said:

So I should imagine the April Spring 2024 issue and an updated phase 2 catalogue should be available soon.

Physical TT catalogue has also been confirmed for the new issue of Hornby magazine due in shops on Thursday.  So presumably the PDF version will be available around the same time?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

39 minutes ago, J-Lewis said:

Physical TT catalogue has also been confirmed for the new issue of Hornby magazine due in shops on Thursday.  So presumably the PDF version will be available around the same time?

Not quite - as I mentioned above he said that the pdf would be available after the magazine. His actual words were "at a later date... towards the end of the month"

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, RyanN91 said:

I love the new signals and level crossing! I love the J50s and the TOUAX, Sffgmss IFA wagons! and the BP/Shell, 12T Tank Wagon looks amazing! the Inter-City 125 High Speed Train Set welcome back to range as a Hornby train set! (even though it was OO gauge) since 1983! I am as of yet to watch the videos on YouTube etc.

please where was the information or CADs etc of the Class 37s I didn't see anything?

hi Ryan . It’s in the official launch video from Hornby , about half way through

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Porfuera said:

Not quite - as I mentioned above he said that the pdf would be available after the magazine. His actual words were "at a later date... towards the end of the month"

Did he not also say there would be 'extra' in Hornby Magazine than in a future pdf? (Bit unfair for us not able to pick up a copy...).

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I did mention the J50 as most likely. Only because it was a recent model so they probably had the CADs ready to go. But a type that was pretty limited in it's use, mostly around London and Yorkshire.

Also it fits neatly into the north eastern initial theme.  I could make a small terminus with my Easterner rolling stock.....