Hornby announce TT:120

AY Mod

I doubt Hornby did much thinking about the AU market since TT doesn't exist in Australia pretty much and house sizes there still favour OO/HO. Disrupting a decades long relationship with a wholesaler will have been considered not worth the bother.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hobby said:

I doubt they'd be much of a seller, but you never know, the HST would be an obvious one. I'm more interested in them expanding their range rather than messing around introducing more sets.

The OO Red Rover set seems to sell quite well, sold out at Hornby. So why wouldn’t a set with a TT 66 work?  

It might, but as I said I'd rather they concentrate on getting the new stuff out. Sets like that are more for future to sell stuff that needs shifting from their warehouse. I suspect that a "toy" set may come first.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Hobby said:

I doubt they'd be much of a seller, but you never know, the HST would be an obvious one. I'm more interested in them expanding their range rather than messing around introducing more sets.

TBH there's been little benefit in the club since all the discounts went at the end of the first 12 months, I'm only still in it because it's free.

of course a diesel set will sell. Currently diesel modellers need to buy everything seperate, and that means if you want an oval of track and a full HST you need to pay in excess of £600. You can buy more than 3 steam sets for that price

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Diesel sets in the announcement? Probably. It is clear that TT120 has been far more planned and developed than many people think, especially those blinded by their need to criticise Hornby.

Whilst most consumer product launches fail, TT is going from strength to strength. I will wager that April will see even more coherence brought to the range. All the signs are there that they've got their act together on this.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, 47606odin said:

Well how about diesel starter train sets? Not everyone wants an A3 or A4. Or have I missed something? Anyway, that coupled by being shafted by the Australian wholesaler importer meaning I couldn’t buy anything direct from Hornby pricing it out of any sensible person down here’s budget. At least moving it out to retailers helped but it means still there is no benefit from being in the TT120 club as that only benefits if you can buy from Hornby.

So if a diesel set is announced, then I might get drawn in, as I was going to be initially……

When phase one was annouced there was erroneous information of a BR HST train set.

There is however a forthcoming future CrossCountry XC HST Train set in either phase two or three. (Neither was specified as to which phase).

• Like 1

Maybe they are waiting for stock levels to be consistent before making any goods sets? I have noticed the wagons going in and out of stock regularly.

A shunter and four or five wagons would be ideal as a starter set and is virtually what Hornby has sold since the start of Hornby train sets. 

I'm pretty sure most of us started with something similar, I definitely did.

BR Class 08, tank wagon, van, PO wagon and a brake van. Oval of track with a siding and controller. There's your train set!

Jason

• Like 4

19 hours ago, 47606odin said:

Well how about diesel starter train sets? Not everyone wants an A3 or A4. Or have I missed something? Anyway, that coupled by being shafted by the Australian wholesaler importer meaning I couldn’t buy anything direct from Hornby pricing it out of any sensible person down here’s budget. At least moving it out to retailers helped but it means still there is no benefit from being in the TT120 club as that only benefits if you can buy from Hornby.

So if a diesel set is announced, then I might get drawn in, as I was going to be initially……

An HST set is in the catalogue:

TT1004M LNER East Coast Mainline HST Electric Train Set - Era 11

However there is no phase/date for this - @GenericRMWebUsername mentioned April, although given that the HSTs are being released later than initially scheduled I'd guess the date for the set will slip as well.

A Class 08 shunting set was mentioned in passing about a year ago in one of the TT Talk livestreams at the same time as the green 08s but as has been mentioned already there isn't currently a great variety of rolling stock for them to shunt. I'm sure it will come but obviously they can't produce a whole range overnight and given the slippage we've seen with the delivery dates so far then who knows when we will see more rolling stock, although a vent van, a 21T mineral and a brake van would probably be sufficient (plus maybe a 7-plank wagon).

Arnold also listed a couple of diesel sets at the start of last year:

HN9900 Train Set "Colas Rail", 4-axle diesel locomotive Vossloh DE 18 with 2 x 4-axle silowagons "Transcéréales", ep. VI HINT

HN9901 Train Set Class 66 + 3 Container Wagons

Edited by Porfuera
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, ruggedpeak said:

Whilst most consumer product launches fail, TT is going from strength to strength. I will wager that April will see even more coherence brought to the range. All the signs are there that they've got their act together on this.

That's true. Walking around the cities and looking on various media, we've probably all sharpened our ability to observe and assess ; which ventures will last, which will fold, who's got something new and suitable for the environment we're in, vs who's flailing and staggering from one post to another to stay vertical?

And these way outnumber the ones with good prospects. 

Hornby has done well here, to launch and to establish, to keep momentum going. No doubt of it. 

Especially considering the dire economic straits we're in. 

No catalogue number yet but looking back at the catalogue. I wonder if the "Mainline Express" Electric train set Era 7 (British Rail TOPS) 1971-1986 will be announced?

I've always wondered what locomotive and rolling stock that'll be included? A Class 37, Class 47 (only if these are annouced when the train set will be announced) or a Class 50. Or maybe even a new tool different class diesel/electric locomotive?  I reckon with a rake of BR MK1s? or BR MK2E or BR MK2F  coaches.

20 minutes ago, RyanN91 said:

No catalogue number yet but looking back at the catalogue. I wonder if the "Mainline Express" Electric train set Era 7 (British Rail TOPS) 1971-1986 will be announced?

I've always wondered what locomotive and rolling stock that'll be included? A Class 37, Class 47 (only if these are annouced when the train set will be announced) or a Class 50. Or maybe even a new tool different class diesel/electric locomotive?  I reckon with a rake of BR MK1s? or BR MK2E or BR MK2F  coaches.

Possibly a "Banger Blue" Class 50 and if they are doing a retrospect of Lima then 50020 Revenge would be nice as that was the one they did.

It was noticeable that one of the first PO wagons in the TT range was the Hale Fuels one that Airfix made back in the day. Which was a nice touch.

spacer.png

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 12/03/2024 at 18:06, RyanN91 said:

ZomboDroid_12032024060544.jpg.43d54e428239fd4f18c30967e872be0c.jpg

isn’t the announcement likely to be the 0-6-0T that they really should have released at the beginning .  I can’t remember what it is now . The obvious one to release would be a Jinty but is it a Pannier or J94? 

Given that this is supposed to be opening new markets I would have thought a train set featuring the 66 and some container wagons would be ideal . You could do it in Red DB , Blue GBRf or Green Freightliner ( I suppose orange now!) liveries . It’s what people see on the real railway 

• Like 2

We've just begun to stock the TT range and all the train sets have sold out with us already, we've ordered more. Our customers are asking for a diesel starter train set. They've only bought the steam sets as there's nothing else to purchase in the train set range. If Hornby do release a diesel train set, our customers will buy it. I'd certainly add it to the new shop TT layout which is under construction. 

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

23 hours ago, Porfuera said:

An HST set is in the catalogue:

TT1004M LNER East Coast Mainline HST Electric Train Set - Era 11

However there is no phase/date for this - @GenericRMWebUsername mentioned April, although given that the HSTs are being released later than initially scheduled I'd guess the date for the set will slip as well.

A Class 08 shunting set was mentioned in passing about a year ago in one of the TT Talk livestreams at the same time as the green 08s but as has been mentioned already there isn't currently a great variety of rolling stock for them to shunt. I'm sure it will come but obviously they can't produce a whole range overnight and given the slippage we've seen with the delivery dates so far then who knows when we will see more rolling stock, although a vent van, a 21T mineral and a brake van would probably be sufficient (plus maybe a 7-plank wagon).

Arnold also listed a couple of diesel sets at the start of last year:

HN9900 Train Set "Colas Rail", 4-axle diesel locomotive Vossloh DE 18 with 2 x 4-axle silowagons "Transcéréales", ep. VI HINT

HN9901 Train Set Class 66 + 3 Container Wagons

Just to clarify, the set with the April due date is the British Pullman Set. That's the one that will feature an A4 with pullman coaches. I'm expecting it to be in LNER Garter Blue since it's an Era 3 set. The LNER HST set is due later this year in the fall. But you're exactly right that it could slip into 2025. 

The last we heard about the shunting set, it was still tentative. Whether they go through with it or not is TBD. It is a solid set idea though. With the 08 shunter in BR green coming, they could do an 08 in a BR black livery for the set. Lots of good optionality there! 

And that Arnold Class 66 set could be a hit. I'm hoping they thread the needle by choosing a livery that can be used on both sides of the channel. That way it can sell in Europe and the United Kingdom. 

Attached are my expectations for the April launch. There are a few items that have been confirmed or are high probability. It's important we don't expect too much. The Jinty and British Pullman set should headline the event. The new A4 liveries, new Mk 1s, and new Pullmans will be supporting characters. We might see preorders and renderings for previously announced items. But beyond that 2024 is packed with product releases. So far we've seen 3 tooling projects get released (TTAs, Class 43s, and Mk 3s). Mk 2Es, Mk 2Fs, HHAs, Duchesses, Class 50s, Class 66s, and LMS Coaches all are set for a 2024 release. 

I'd love additional product announcements, but I'm keeping my expectations at a minimum. 

ScreenShot2024-03-14at3_06_10PM.png.595cafc7e336ee444960fac45a0993d2.png

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, Legend said:

isn’t the announcement likely to be the 0-6-0T that they really should have released at the beginning .  I can’t remember what it is now . The obvious one to release would be a Jinty but is it a Pannier or J94? 

Given that this is supposed to be opening new markets I would have thought a train set featuring the 66 and some container wagons would be ideal . You could do it in Red DB , Blue GBRf or Green Freightliner ( I suppose orange now!) liveries . It’s what people see on the real railway 

We know of three small-tank locomotives that Hornby has committed to. These are the Pannier, J94, and one unknown locomotive. Two of the three locomotives had entered tooling as of March 2023. From what we've heard, the first of the three to enter tooling was the unknown locomotive. This is widely suspected to be a Jinty, which makes perfect sense. The Jinty would be a good companion to release alongside the Duchesses. That way you can make a compelling LMS/LMR layout with large and small locomotives. And if there are surprise pieces of rolling stock announced, more LMS wagons would make sense. 

The second of the three locomotives to enter tooling is unknown, but I strongly suspect it will be the J94. Why? Because Hornby already has a strong bench of TT LNER/ER rolling stock. Adding a J94 would immediately compliment the existing product range far better than a Pannier. 

Then in a year or so Hornby can launch the Castle Class, the GWR coaches, GWR wagons, GWR buildings, and the Pannier all together. That way a much more complete GWR TT layout can be built. 

That's my hunch anyway...

• Like 3

5 hours ago, GenericRMWebUsername said:

Just to clarify, the set with the April due date is the British Pullman Set. That's the one that will feature an A4 with pullman coaches. I'm expecting it to be in LNER Garter Blue since it's an Era 3 set. The LNER HST set is due later this year in the fall. But you're exactly right that it could slip into 2025. 

The last we heard about the shunting set, it was still tentative. Whether they go through with it or not is TBD. It is a solid set idea though. With the 08 shunter in BR green coming, they could do an 08 in a BR black livery for the set. Lots of good optionality there! 

And that Arnold Class 66 set could be a hit. I'm hoping they thread the needle by choosing a livery that can be used on both sides of the channel. That way it can sell in Europe and the United Kingdom. 

Attached are my expectations for the April launch. There are a few items that have been confirmed or are high probability. It's important we don't expect too much. The Jinty and British Pullman set should headline the event. The new A4 liveries, new Mk 1s, and new Pullmans will be supporting characters. We might see preorders and renderings for previously announced items. But beyond that 2024 is packed with product releases. So far we've seen 3 tooling projects get released (TTAs, Class 43s, and Mk 3s). Mk 2Es, Mk 2Fs, HHAs, Duchesses, Class 50s, Class 66s, and LMS Coaches all are set for a 2024 release. 

I'd love additional product announcements, but I'm keeping my expectations at a minimum. 

ScreenShot2024-03-14at3_06_10PM.png.595cafc7e336ee444960fac45a0993d2.png

But there doesn't seem to be much new stuff high up in that list - it seems to be mostly reliveries of existing items with the new locos and coaches being medium to low priority at the bottom. Surely if they're going to continue with TT:120 then shouldn't their priority be growing the range significantly rather than producing reliveries?

I believe they're ditching the Phases but I would've thought they'd more or less stick with what's in the catalogue (i.e. Phases 3 and 4), plus the LNER/BR J94 and the GWR/BR Class 5700  (both were in the announcement made last July) and a third steam 0-6-0 if there is one (I'm still not 100% convinced) and then the delayed Class 60 and 9F to follow after all those.

They have a number of wagons listed in the catalogue and the range is currently a bit short of wagons. These are: Conflat with container; Mk1 Horse Box; VEA Van; KFA (Container and Tanktainer); Seacow; VGA Van. Perhaps there are some odd choices there but then they haven't shown much joined-up thinking to date - the horse box especially seems an odd choice (maybe it is one of their past favourites in 00) but I'd have thought something like a cattle wagon would be more useful.

There are also other coaches in the catalogue: LNER Gresley Coaches and GWR & BR Collett Coaches (as well as more Mk1s, including a parcels coach).

I would think there will also be some mention of what's to come after Phase 4 with any CAD or 3D prints that are available and maybe one or two surprises but I'd have thought they'd continue as planned - unless, of course, the new management wants to stamp its own mark on the range, in which case everything may well be up in the air.

EDIT: I'm not saying all that will come this year - at current rates of production I'd expect Phases 3 and 4 to take 2 years at least, if not more - but I'd have thought that they'll stick with what's been announced so far.

Edited by Porfuera
  • Like 1

I've just checked the Hornby webshop and all four of the HST packs appear to be available to buy now (so both analogue and sound-fitted blue/grey and GWR).

I've checked one of each of the Mk3s for these packs and they're still showing as pre-order but fingers crossed for those too rather than the Spring/Summer dates they're currently showing.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Porfuera said:

I've just checked the Hornby webshop and all four of the HST packs appear to be available to buy now (so both analogue and sound-fitted blue/grey and GWR).

I've checked one of each of the Mk3s for these packs and they're still showing as pre-order but fingers crossed for those too rather than the Spring/Summer dates they're currently showing.

Exciting! Yes the Class 43s seem to be in stock... Hopefully my blue/grey pre-order will come soon, and the Mk3s will soon be available to buy.

I also got a notification that the fishplates are finally available.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, andrewshimmin said:

I also got a notification that the fishplates are finally available.

Someone on FB will be happy about that, he was having a big moan about it the other day. Its Hornby's fault that Peco fishplates won't fit Hornby track apparently...

Edited by Hobby
  • Funny 4