Euston - we have a problem

rapidoandy

2 minutes ago, 37114 said:

As @F-UnitMad said that tail lift was too small. Obviously the bigger tail lift, the more weight but it is not worth compromising. For various reasons I can't and don't want to go into, I spend a lot of time with my team making sure we get the right tail lifts for the job including fitting side gates/plates to minimise pallets falling off but also the much more serious issue of someone falling off the taillif.

Not just the staff.  Depending if you're unloading somewhere like a shop where there could be members of the public nearby, obviously there is also a third party injury risk if pallets fall off and clobber a passer-by.

• Agree 4

6 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Not just the staff.  Depending if you're unloading somewhere like a shop where there could be members of the public nearby, obviously there is also a third party injury risk if pallets fall off and clobber a passer-by.

Indeed. We are experementing with a light that shines down on the ground to create an exclusion area around the tail lift when delivering.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

Having experience of these type of issues over the last 18 years with a more fragile product I would put money on only the bottom two layers (as hit the deck) being affected and the rest emerging ok.

part of the issue there is a fold under tail lift specced for occasional use and a square plastic pallet sized for container shipping. They have different dimensions to a uk standard or euro pallet, and are more awkward on a pump truck. They also have a high centre of gravity as stacked to the maximum container height.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

One of the things I admire about Rapido is their openness and honesty. Yes, this accident is unfortunate, but being open about what has happened is by far the best way to approach the situation. As others have said, the most important thing is that nobody was hurt. Warehouses are inherently dangerous places and the biggest single danger is falls from heights.

Hopefully at least some of the stock is saleable without any further action and the majority of the rest only needs new external packaging. Time consuming and expensive, but it could have been a lot worse.

Far better to 'fess' up and address it, than try to pretend nothing happened.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, Jon Harbour said:

... Hopefully at least some of the stock is saleable without any further action and the majority of the rest only needs new external packaging. ...

Hopefully the majority of the stock is saleable - and most of the end users are perfectly happy to accept bruised packaging once they know the contents have been checked over and found to be OK. 😊

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 23/10/2022 at 20:53, rapidoandy said:

Well that’s a lot more comments than I was expecting…

Whilst I won’t go into too much details I will tell people:

The delivery company knew it was a tail lift operation.

The weight, height and size of the pallet were all known factors.

We have a ‘hands off’ policy - the shipping company is responsible for getting the pallet - safely - onto the floor in the warehouse where we accept it.

The CCTV has no sound so you can’t hear what people are saying likewise it also seems to compress depths.

All in all we (Rapido) I feel have handled it right from the moment things went south. Hopefully this week we will know what the actual damage and the actions we need to take are.

andy

Good summary, Andy. 

Outside of these facts any further speculation is pretty pointless. 

Rob. 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

@rapidoandy Thank you for being frank and honest. Mishaps happen, but this is where real customer service begins. You have taken the initiative to be upfront and share what has happened. You are clear about the next steps you are taking to assess the impact (no pun intended) of the situation. I share your optimism that your packaging designers are awesome and that this true drop test has proven their worth. And when you know more you will communicate again. 10/10 for this level of customer care and finding humour in adversity.

While I'm not awaiting one of these (an original one is in service on my layout) other wagons and a 15xx are on order. I have faith that they will all arrive safely down under, despite the best efforts of Royal Mail and Australia post to prove otherwise.

Keep bringing us more tempting treats - bring on Warley.

Rodger

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hey look, if you want to sell some in the battered-box instead of getting a new box, i'm sure many would want one just as a souvenir of this monumentous event...

provided you knocked a fiver off the price..

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

13 minutes ago, rapidoandy said:

And for those who would like to take a look:

Wonderful spoof! Even the square of carpet! 😆 I’m not in the queue for one of these but I have a Beatrice on order. Beautiful picture of her right at the start with the name not leached out by lighting angle.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, PeterStiles said:

Hey look, if you want to sell some in the battered-box instead of getting a new box, i'm sure many would want one just as a souvenir of this monumentous event...

provided you knocked a fiver off the price..

That's not a bad idea.

There are enough who don't keep the box anyway, and if the requested/affect box comes with a certificate disclaiming the packaging and providing authenticity of both being extra checked and proving that it's provenance- then everyone's a winner!

(Only down side is I would think that extra packaging would be needed to take it the "last mile"!)

Kev.

(Great vid but at the end I think the door step is slightly bent upwards - but who's to say when that happened!)

• Like 2

• Moderators

OMG; we now have Dan Strains too! Dan; if you want to be taken seriously you'll have to stop being knowledgeable and factual you know.

"Because we can."  😅

Still laughing when I got to the end. More importantly, you didn't tell us there were stickers to collect too - how many for a free coffee?

• Like 3
  • Funny 10