Heljan ES1 exclusive for Locomotion and Rails of Sheffield

AY Mod

23 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Yes, but what other purposes do you intend using them for on that loco?

Just playing safe. I don't like the non standard differences between the sound & non sound next 18 interface. Driving the logic outputs of the non sound decoder via the shared speaker connections onto a attached speaker may not be harmful but to me, it's bad practice. It's not Heljans problem but the problem of the different standard between the sound and non sound Next 18 connector. 

As it's an electric loco  (in the prototype sense) for me, the fitting DCC sound is not a priority but by utilising the space that the speaker occupies to mount a Micro servo controlled via the decoder, I might just be able to get the pan to raise & lower. 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Pleased you received yours.  Still awaiting my BR Green version here in Toronto.

I have just read both loco’s were fitted with LNER Group Standard Buffers in 1952.  Reference “The Last Years of Steam on the North Eastern Region” by Book Law Publications.  There are two splendid Keith Pirt photographs on p88 & 89, plus other interesting information.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 05/12/2022 at 00:09, Porcy Mane said:

Probably the same model that has been doing the rounds. (bent lamp bracket). I don't hold out much hope John.

Apart from the buffers & bonnet handrails it looks like its one tooling fits all. Bow pen & Airbrush at the ready to correct the livery.

I'm also hoping with the bogies, it will be possible to swap them end for end to get rid of the NEM socket thus correcting the shoes at the same time.

83471603_26500QsideElecBogieCollectorDetail.jpg.d17d16298226248a940b9c400cc10d46.jpg

What did they get wrong? I have one and would like to know what needs correcting, how obvious is the error from viewing distance etc.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, john new said:

What did they get wrong? I have one and would like to know what needs correcting, how obvious is the error from viewing distance etc.

Issues I'm aware of:

1. The livery for the BR version of the NER green is wrong, the model has a black border to the green round the bonnet sides - the black shouldn't be there at all, it should be green.

2. The 3rd rail collection shoes are in the wrong place on the beam for the 'in service' locos although they are correct for the preserved version.

3. The box mounted on the roof (very obvious in photos of the real thing) at one end is missing completely on the model, it appears the preserved loco doesn't haven't it but it is a very distinctive feature of the in service locos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, johndon said:

Issues I'm aware of:

1. The livery for the BR version of the NER green is wrong, the model has a black border to the green round the bonnet sides - the black shouldn't be there at all, it should be green.

2. The 3rd rail collection shoes are in the wrong place on the beam for the 'in service' locos although they are correct for the preserved version.

3. The box mounted on the roof (very obvious in photos of the real thing) at one end is missing completely on the model, it appears the preserved loco doesn't haven't it but it is a very distinctive feature of the in service locos.

As I have bought the preserved version it will be a dilemma whether to retro fit it backwards with regard to (2) and (3). 

Thanks for the reply, helpful.

• Like 4

On 13/12/2022 at 12:19, johndon said:

Hats off to Rails, having sent them some photos of my model, they are arranging a return and a replacement.

John

As a follow up to this, Rails sent a replacement a couple of days ago.  Apart from a couple of bent (but correctly installed) lamp irons, the replacement has none of the issues of the one I received originally.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, johndon said:

Undecided as yet but if you fancy converting it for me… 

Not as simple as it looks. 1.5 mm stub axles and combined bearing/pick up assemblies sees to that. Dunno if Branchlines does any wheels-sets that's suitable?

A lot of brass & iron has been turned into swarf so far.

Heljan-ES1-PwD-059-EditSm.jpg.f882d764273f1233b13f11f8de7384db.jpg

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

Not as simple as it looks. 1.5 mm stub axles and combined bearing/pick up assemblies sees to that. Dunno if Branchlines does any wheels-sets that's suitable?

A lot of brass & iron has been turned into swarf so far.

Heljan-ES1-PwD-059-EditSm.jpg.f882d764273f1233b13f11f8de7384db.jpg

Figured it wouldn't be easy...

• Like 1

There have been comments about how expensive this model is. There are eight very fine chains, one connecting each corner of each bogie to the chassis. Looking at them, I was expecting trouble but no. It sails along beautifully with no sign of tangling. I can see where at least some of the money has gone. Delightful model, even if it has some shortcomings.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Having seen sister engine 26501 at work in the 1960s not many miles from my daughter's current house, with the encouragement of a discount this was a must have purchase.  How it is to be  integrated into the layout is a  question for another day.

53000807323_d0db5db9c7_5k.jpg

A stunning model

Looking at the 'stock' pictures and the condition of my model as received there seems to me to be an issue with the packaging.  All three lamp irons at one end were damaged, some worse than others.  With some carefull manipulation followed by the addition of some super glue for strength and home mixed paint I have had a good outcome.  Otherwise I think a very well made model, thank you Rails of Sheffield, Heljan and Locomotion.

53002895003_0858dac637_5k.jpg

Bent out of the box

53001823687_73adf1754b_5k.jpg

Straightened and painted

I am surprised that the lamp irons are painted green but I am guessing that someone somwhere has a reason and thought it a good idea.

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Like 4

On 26/06/2023 at 13:08, micklner said:

You have a cracked Buffer as well, obviously dropped at some point.

Thankfuly no, there was a stray piece of black plastic which wiped off.  I doubt the model had been dropped.  I have updated the detail picture.  The picture at the top of the Post had already had the fragment removed so didn't need changing.

Thanks Ray

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bit of a latecomer to this thread, but only discovered it after buying the North Eastern version at Shildon on Saturday.

If anybody is looking for an excuse to play with it, the original [and No.2] did get out of the Trafalgar Yard/Quayside circuit from time to time, running up through Manors to the electric car sheds at South Gosforth - I've even found a photie of it parked outside my old office window there, but can I find it again now...

Anyway, point is that it was running through an urban and suburban setting to get there and notwithstanding the third rail, was sharing it with steam engines from time to time - including big stuff after they put in the Benton Curve in 1942 to create an avoiding line in case Mr Hitler's bombers severed the ECML by dropping the Ouseburn Viaduct 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1