RMweb

Bachmann OO9 'mainline' Hunslets

AY Mod

Has anyone experience of removing the body on Blanche for DCC decoder fitting?

I have followed the Bachmann instructions, removing only the screws indicated, but the body doesn't want to move. The instruction drawing appears to show the cab, boiler & smokebox separating as one piece from the metal chassis / cab floor - are there any hidden clips etc. that may be preventing the removal? Not keen to start using force.

Guidance would be appreciated please. 

Edited by vaughan45
clarification

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, vaughan45 said:

Has anyone experience of removing the body on Blanche for DCC decoder fitting?

I have followed the Bachmann instructions, removing only the screws indicated, but the body doesn't want to move. The instruction drawing appears to show the cab, boiler & smokebox separating as one piece from the metal chassis / cab floor - are there any hidden clips etc. that may be preventing the removal? Not keen to start using force.

Guidance would be appreciated please. 

Doesn’t look to be in Andy’s photos on WoR 

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/reviews/Bachmann/Bachmann-oo9-mainline-0-4-0-hunslet

2 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Thanks Paul,

I have done it now, you need to remove all 6 screws securing the cab, not four as shown on the Bachmann instructions and there are two clips at the bottom of the cab rear panel that need to be pushed in. You also need to disconnect the two pipes from the smokebox to the cylinders. DCC decoder now installed,

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I do find it rather weird that the Hunslets (both quarry and mainline) are coming in drips and drabs. You’d imagine they’d all be built together, and thus all ship together in the same container. Must be method in Bachman’s madness though. 

Edited by nightstar.train

Batch production at the factory and then shipping issues no doubt. Only one livery style can be done at a time and shipping equates to having enough product to fill the requisite boxes/containers unless items are air freighted at greater cost -wonders if a number of Blanches were to meet the release; the rest possibly with Britomart and probably the OO class 37s.

• Moderators
7 hours ago, nightstar.train said:

and thus all ship together in the same container.

Not necessarily. One batch/livery may get completed before another and make it onto a part-filled container of other products with the rest following or all batches/liveries may be complete but not fit into the space available in one container. It's not unusual for a split to happen.

• Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, nightstar.train said:

I do find it rather weird that the Hunslets (both quarry and mainline) are coming in drips and drabs. You’d imagine they’d all be built together, and thus all ship together in the same container. Must be method in Bachman’s madness though. 

If I recall correctly, some years ago Bachmann said that it took care not to flood the market with too many models at once. In these times of soaring prices, such a policy is even more welcome.

• Agree 2

• Moderators

It was just me testing the topic with different permission sets after a report that the subforum may not have been functioning correctly. It was fine.

Picked up a Charles yesterday. Lovely model! Only sight "issue" (and it isn't really) but there isn't a detail pack with it - I was expected it to contain the lamps shown at least, I do have the etches but no other details, is it missing from my model or none of them have this? 

Cheers,

Bruce 

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, D400 said:

Picked up a Charles yesterday. Lovely model! Only sight "issue" (and it isn't really) but there isn't a detail pack with it - I was expected it to contain the lamps shown at least, I do have the etches but no other details, is it missing from my model or none of them have this? 

The review model (which is from the production batch) had two small bags taped to the inner ice cube packaging; one containing the longer couplings and lamp and the other with the etched name and worksplates.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D400 said:

Only slight "issue" (and it isn't really) but there isn't a detail pack with it - I was expected it to contain the lamps shown at least, I do have the etches but no other details, is it missing from my model or none of them have this? 

55 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

The review model (which is from the production batch) had two small bags taped to the inner ice cube packaging; one containing the longer couplings and lamp and the other with the etched name and workplates.

Just for comparison I checked what Blanche came with - it has 2 bags, the one with the extra coupling does contain a lamp (and a DCC blanking plug as I have the sound fitted version)

Kernow’s weekly email has stated that they have their batch of ‘Charles’ engines now. I’d imagine that the postal strikes are going to hold up dispatch quite badly, but I’m hopeful of having it before Xmas 

EDIT: speak of the devil, an hour after I post this, an email arrives telling me that it has been dispatched 

Edited by Edge