Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby - Warley Model Railway Exhibition Special announcement 26.11.22

RyanN91

12 minutes ago, BrushVeteran said:

Oh yes you can...................or as one of my cats thought so this morning with a present!   Cats are now in the doghouse (or cathouse I suppose) but my wife tells me off!

Mind you I did laugh.

39dc8a46-6935-4a74-ac1a-8f221904a5ac.JPG

Its better than the cat being sick in your shoes...

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

I've just seen the announcement of the "loyalty programme" on Faceache, which has attracted a lot of comment about their loyalty to their retailers.  Clearly loyalty in Margate is a one way street.

Given the absolute brass neck of announcing an online only loyalty programme bypassing their once loyal retailers who kept them alive when bankruptcy loomed, I wonder if the new experience they are touting at Warley might be a partnership with the makers of Brasso.

I could not agree more.  Thanks for the prompt, I've just been into their bookface announcement and left them a frank expression of my opinion, FWIW.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Yet when another manufacturer does the same it's seen as a wonderful idea?

Seems one rule for Hornby and another for everyone else.....

Depends whether it's innovation or replication.

Depends whether it's an emerging business or a traditional one.

• Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Who else is actively moving away from retail?  The new kids on the block who started as direct sales only (e.g. Accurascale and Rapido) moved into supplying retailers as well as their businesses grew IIRC.

• Like 2
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BrushVeteran said:

Oh yes you can...................or as one of my cats thought so this morning with a present!   Cats are now in the doghouse (or cathouse I suppose) but my wife tells me off!

Mind you I did laugh.

39dc8a46-6935-4a74-ac1a-8f221904a5ac.JPG

When we lived in Keswick there was a local cat called Kin Kin who was a superb ratter.

Large Victorian terraced houses with gaps under the floor, there were plenty of rats around.

One morning Kin Kin was sitting outside the rear of one of the houses with IIRC 5 dead rats all lined up alongside each other and looking extremely proud of his night's work!

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 3

5 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

PS Owing to industrial inaction on the part of various railway industry trade union folk I am going to the Warley show on Sunday.  So looking on the bright, and having no doubt that RMweb will fully report the various releases, announcements, appearances, and so on which take place on the Saturday, I'll at least know where not to waste my time on the following day. Result😄

Having come away from Spalding Show with a heavy cold (and avoided the Covid that two from our club picked up) I'm giving Warley a miss this year, mostly as I'm off next week on a long weekend taking Bregenbach im Schwarzwald to Paisley and I want to be a bit more healthy when I set off...

I'll look on t'interweb for Hornby's announcement.

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

I was intending going on Saturday but Public transport constraints would probably involve leaving on Friday afternoon and getting home on Sunday teatime. Using the bus would mean leaving home at 9.45pm on Friday and arriving back at 10.45am on Sunday with two nights trying to sleep on the bus and any convenient bench. It would also cost about £51. The nearest hotel I could find was a doss house in Saltley for well over £100 if I go by train.

To get a full day there by car would mean about a 14 hour round trip with 25 litres of diesel and the car park charge, plus I would be good for naff all on Sunday.

Sunday by public transport is a non-starter as I can't get there before lunchtime.

I did (tongue in cheek) check flights but would have to do Manchester - Fraggle Rock - Birmingham - Dublin - Manchester at a cost of £500.

All very annoying as I can usually get to Birmingham International by 9.15am and have a good train to get me home by about 9pm.

Think I may have to resort to following on the internet, doing a bit of modelling and perhaps spend the money saved on an extra bit of railway equipment.

You could try Leamington for hotels but getting there on the Saturday would involve a circuitous trip and XC are hit by industrial inaction on the Saturday.

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

i have to say i agree, over on the AS thread its full of froth and pant wetting, it will the greatest thing ever and my wallet can't cope, you don't even know what is it yet. 

Yet over here......someone mentioned about the loyalty schema and hammering the retail again....i'm sorry but any company worth their salt has something similar...why should Hornby be any different?

And as for the new start ups supporting the retail, from what i've been told that's not a rosy as it looks....

given the negativity on this forum alone, i don't blame Hornby one bit if they said forgot the forum community, forget the retail, lets go it alone because all we get it from both is grieve. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I think it will be their loyalty program they are announcing.

More excited by Accurascale

9 hours ago, Les1952 said:

Having come away from Spalding Show with a heavy cold (and avoided the Covid that two from our club picked up) I'm giving Warley a miss this year, mostly as I'm off next week on a long weekend taking Bregenbach im Schwarzwald to Paisley and I want to be a bit more healthy when I set off...

I'll look on t'interweb for Hornby's announcement.

Les

Look forward to seeing you at Paisley. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hornby MAY become an online only retailer as many (most?) new models are limited in number these days. Hornby wants (needs) to sell new products quickly and at full RRP to maximise profit. You can see this in their new TT3 range. If so it's another nail in the coffin for the model shops / retail trade.

The days of Hattons etc selling quantity models at great discount seem to be over (or nearly so as stocks run out).

I'll not say Hornby has lost the plot, but the plot has certainly thickened.

Brit15

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Legend said:

If it is just a loyalty program for buying direct, its brave (or foolish) to do it on Warley weekend, as people are likely to tell them exactly what they think.

But at Warley you'll only be allowed to talk to them about TT120. 😇 If you're so presumptive as to ask them anything even slightly linked with 'allocation' of models to retailers and you'll be told to buy direct; say anything about faulty models and you'll be told the rate of return is so small it can even be measured in percentage terms; ask them anything about pricing and you'll be given a lesson in economics and be told about the cost of shipping (which is currently dropping like a stone).  But if you then ask why TT120 is that much cheaper than 00 you'll be told that's because it's smaller (and not because it's all about pricing the new range to get it established).    

Don't forget that the Hornby stand is most likely to be staffed by sales people - hence the sort of answers you will get 😇.  It won't be the same on stands from other manufacturers because they will have people on them who go a lot further than sales people and in most cases will be those who actually decide what they will be making.

I wonder if Hornby will have those forms where you can suggest new models?

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

I'm making just two predictions, one of which is certain to be correct:

1. Something I want.

2. Something I don't want.

🥸

Ah ha, dear heart, there is a third option and, I suppose, a fourth. Insert the words ' I think' or 'think I', in a suitable place in your two predictions. 

Giesel Injector fitted Bulleid Pacific.

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

For the unfortunates that see the Industrial Inaction as a 'challenge', how about those new fangled things called Buses or them Charabancs to go longer distances. Some even have Bogs.

There could even be a 'Hitch a Lift Please' Thread, where people talk to each other electronically and arrange shared Transport; that would be a thing wouldn't it? Never done that in the old days did us boys and gals, eh?

H.I. Sterical.

Triang had an air-smoothed Merchant Navy in their TT3 range. As Hornby have already got a Castle in Phase x (can't be bothered looking up which one), perhaps its a similar TT:120 Merchant Navy?  And a Jinty, and a class 101 DMU just for fun?

Then again, it might be an announcement about allowing Visitor Centre attendees to see the 1:1 collection?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Loyalty scheme? Just watched this series on Netflix, given the model rail community (or at least parts thereof) to approach to things - what could possibly go wrong 🤣

https://www.netflix.com/tudum/articles/pepsi-wheres-my-jet-release-date-cast-news

Lad turned down $1m cash as he really wanted the Harrier.......

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Ah ha, dear heart, there is a third option and, I suppose, a fourth. Insert the words ' I think' or 'think I', in a suitable place in your two predictions. 

Giesel Injector fitted Bulleid Pacific.

P

I've got much more decisive than I used to be, Phil.🙃🙂😉

There are loadsa possible Bulleid options that H haven't previously touched. First series rebuilt MN with 5000g tender, Air smoothed MNs with cut-down tenders as running in the late fifties. Rebuilts, (either size) with 5250g rebodied tender. Wide cab A/S WC with cut down 4500g tender transferred from rebuilt loco.

My guess is, though, if they were ever going to do anything beyond the narrow suite of combinations covered so far, we'd have seen at least one of them before now.

I also don't think any of them alone would justify the hyped-up announcement of the announcement unless a complete retool were involved. 

All-new rebuilt MN, first series, 5000g tender, 35007 "Aberdeen Commonwealth" and they'd have me bang to rights.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1