Hornby Turbomotive

Edge

Morning all,

couldn’t actually find a bespoke Turbomotive thread to put these in.

1-D7-F84-FA-3-B09-4-C69-B674-247-C529080

8-A3298-B0-8080-4661-80-BB-EB775-B28-F1-

Had a brief chat about it with Montana. The EP in black is the loco in LMS condition and the bare metal engine is BR condition with the smoke deflectors. Apparently these are early EPs and have been made with as many tooling options as possible in order to test them, so they aren’t exactly representative of the finished product. Good and hefty models tho, so am personally looking forward to my LMS version.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Edge said:

Morning all,

Had a brief chat about it with Montana. The EP in black is the loco in LMS condition and the bare metal engine is BR condition with the smoke deflectors. Apparently these are early EPs and have been made with as many tooling options as possible in order to test them, so they aren’t exactly representative of the finished product. Good and hefty models tho, so am personally looking forward to my LMS version.

I didn't see the black one.

According to a book I have about the loco, the reverse turbine casing (on the other side) was lengthened & the smoke deflectors fitted during the same works visit & it remained in Crimson Lake for a few years longer.

It would be nice for it to be re-released at a later date with the deflectors & longer turbine casing in LMS red & 1946 black. 1946 black models seem to be less common though. Maybe they are less popular?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, rogerzilla said:

I'd really like one, as it was a fascinating prototype and my father had a footplate ride on it, but the price is twice what I'd pay. 

You'd think there would be a saving from the lack of valve gear!

Personally, I can't see this being a sellout as it's very much a niche model and a one off.

I do however have the LMS version on pre-order, which I'm looking forward to.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 28/11/2022 at 10:04, Edge said:

Morning all,

It must be a trick of the light, but the undecorated sample looks small compared to the A4 above/behind it? 

Its not the TT120 version is it?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sjp23480 said:

It must be a trick of the light, but the undecorated sample looks small compared to the A4 above/behind it? 

Its not the TT120 version is it?

Probably perspective as both models' tops appears to line up with the clear plastic stand angleing back to the horizontal.

Edited by daltonparva
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

In the programme much was made about the apparent need for the model to be as heavy as possible - hence the diecast body. Surprised me as they are using the new Princess chassis  and this is already a very heavy model compared to what has come before. My 46207 certainly doesnt want for haulage capacity and in the programme they had to beef up the motor of the Turbomotive because it wouldnt reach a decent top speed - I wonder if the model is actually too heavy?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

In the programme much was made about the apparent need for the model to be as heavy as possible - hence the diecast body. Surprised me as they are using the new Princess chassis  and this is already a very heavy model compared to what has come before. My 46207 certainly doesnt want for haulage capacity and in the programme they had to beef up the motor of the Turbomotive because it wouldnt reach a decent top speed - I wonder if the model is actually too heavy?

Didnt they weigh it in program - I seem to remember 564 g being mentioned . Doesnt seem overly heavy . But then can you believe anything on that program as in the need to beef up motor 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Legend said:

Didnt they weigh it in program - I seem to remember 564 g being mentioned . Doesnt seem overly heavy 

They did - heavy by Hornby standards though not by Accurascale. Just seemed strange that Hornby felt it needed to be heavier than the existing Princess on which it is based. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

On 14/03/2023 at 11:13, MikeParkin65 said:

They did - heavy by Hornby standards though not by Accurascale. Just seemed strange that Hornby felt it needed to be heavier than the existing Princess on which it is based. 

Hi,

I think its heavy for a OO steam outline loco as they tend to have less volume to add weight low down and over the driving wheels compared to diesels and electrics.

If anyone can weigh their steam outline models I would be interested as I'm developing a haulage predictor for gradients and curves. 

Regards

Nik

Edited by NIK
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 14/03/2023 at 11:07, MikeParkin65 said:

In the programme much was made about the apparent need for the model to be as heavy as possible 

'Heavy as possible' isn't a good idea for any toy train; if it's so heavy that when it reaches its haulage limit or an obstruction on the track  it stalls rather than wheelspinning then the motor will likely overheat and eventually self destruct. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

normal sound chip

I suggest you read the long thread discussing the hm7000 on the Hornby pages here...

Or even read their marketing material on their web site ... But you'll have more fun reading the froth.

• Like 2

On 14/03/2023 at 07:39, Butler Henderson said:

Wether its geo restricted not sure but its available on-line https://uktvplay.co.uk/shows/Hornby-a-model-world/watch-online. Its the Spitfire epsiode. (9)

Not when you run a VPN set to UK. We watch UK TV, here in Brisbane all the time. A bit odd watching BBC breakfast news at 4 in the afternoon.

Mike Wiltshire

On 27/08/2023 at 19:26, Colin_McLeod said:

Why is there only £21 difference between DCC ready and DCC sound fitted?

I have just received an email from Hattons...

I am contacting you about your pre-order for the Hornby R30134TXS
I wanted to inform you that the price has increased from £262.00 to
£282.00. Although we strive to maintain the original pre-order price,
unfortunately, we were unable to do so in this case.

The non sound is £239.84

I replied with a cancellation.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1