Hornby Turbomotive

Edge

11 minutes ago, BachelorBoy said:

They created it artificially (probably using some samples of real steam locos and real steam turbines used outside of railways)

Accuracy doesn't matter as no-one really knows what it sounded like.

The key thing is to create a sound that fits how people imagine it sounded.

So no one was alive in the 1950s then.....

My mate's dad worked on it at Edge Hill, I'll ask him when I see him next, whilst telling him he doesn't know what it sounded like as he wasn't around!

Jason

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

So no one was alive in the 1950s then.....

My mate's dad worked on it at Edge Hill, I'll ask him when I see him next, whilst telling him he doesn't know what it sounded like as he wasn't around!

Fair point.

But it was scrapped seventy years ago.

How reliable do you think his memory is?

And is he target market for this model?

Edited by BachelorBoy
added last line
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, smr248 said:

But how did they manage to record the sound?

Havea look further up the page where there is a visdeo with sound of the engine the technology was based on.  In essence it is simple - the exhaust note will be continuous because there are no 'chuffs' in the usual manner of a steam engine.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Havea look further up the page where there is a visdeo with sound of the engine the technology was based on.  In essence it is simple - the exhaust note will be continuous because there are no 'chuffs' in the usual manner of a steam engine.

How was the final drive? Chains, or gears?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BachelorBoy said:

Fair point.

But it was scrapped seventy years ago.

How reliable do you think his memory is?

And is he target market for this model?

A curious phenomenon (which you will one day discover) is that as people get old their memories of the distant past become clearer whilst their memories of the immediate past fail completely. Add to that the fact that sounds are disproportionately evocative and it is likely that those who did see the Turbomotive running as a turbine will remember it far more accurately than you appear to credit.

My father saw the Turbomotive running as a turbine on many occasions, since at the time the house his parents lived in backed onto the main line, and maintains that he clearly remembers the sound. I have no reason to doubt him at all. He may be 92 but he is far from stupid or incapable. He is also most certainly within the target demographic for this model and has been on the waiting list since it was announced.

Incidentally he also clearly remembers it running post-rebuild as Princess Anne for the same geographical reason, and tragically there are few who got to see her in this form. 

Edited by craneman
Elimination of typos
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

9CAB104F-60F7-40A8-B062-DFA9A896A43B.jpeg.662d14080fda31d9beb917163736d7a6.jpeg

So this weighs in at over 500g its a lot heavier than the other Princess models from Hornby, indeed its quite heavy for a rtr steam loco in general and this will have no issues with haulage… its similar weight to models like the Dapol Western and Hattons 66.

very smooth runner, on start up it moves at 0.02amp and maxes at 0.2amp with a great range of smooth speed control.

D672C687-553E-4B2A-BE24-F45FE30192A5.jpeg.3bdeb2d5b15966114fa45099a9f4c31c.jpeg

Hornbys made this model exceptionally well done.

I like the working lights, a bit of a flicker on DC.

8E139567-013F-442D-B24F-8635B87FEC29.jpeg.ddba4ff54f0131ccadaea14d6e44fb0e.jpeg

C7368FA2-9FCD-4F32-A7DD-8357EABF1478.jpeg.6fa781bf21186a23f98a2e7d0617ca92.jpeg

one points a little contentious is the footplate, the footplate looks a standard backhead, I understood 6202 was fairly unique with 6 nozzles to control flow..

8C9835BA-3F01-4F7E-9E64-8447E7932EE1.jpeg.4b4d7155733acb9197540605a84fecf9.jpeg

The tender has removable coal, and looks better loaded / sized / aligned than others in the past..

851572E5-B273-4AA3-B0DF-5347F5BD6022.jpeg.16dfb5d1b39dbbe6899a35de305dee40.jpeg

firebox flicker glow included..
3E6EEE3F-B1AD-4964-B583-9EA5D0D83F9A.jpeg.5ea0a9361649dc1a768dc95dbb190e8b.jpeg

and working lamp on the tender (both red and white).

look how crisp the printing is on the plates..

86AE3371-4FA5-40F9-9EAE-796DD056E28B.jpeg.77de550075bb231ca364f39dc121f16c.jpeg

i’m also not sure about double reds in reverse

AAD2A721-4925-4C34-A104-A26130FC8AB3.jpeg.4924303bc9f4802bdceff755d9d1bea6.jpeg

but this is a model I dont think anyone predicted to be on the horizon.

Really impressed with this, the livery is spot on, I love the shade matches 6231 made a few years ago, which I paint matched to a paint chip I have from a piece of railwayana. Mine will be sitting along side it.

So thats 3 top jobs Hornbys produced in steam of late.. the 9F, P2 and now this.. roll on the 2MT, Hornbys in the lead as far as steam goes imo, though their are definite challengers circling.

26BDAA52-CAD0-4511-A29F-2433A6ED181F.jpeg

159B6C3B-F12E-4CC4-ABF2-87C2EC4E9D3A.jpeg

The parts bag includes a conversion kit to standard cylinder form.. (sorry only kidding to see if your still reading) … 

The parts bag has fireman and driver, includes front steps, front drawbar and shackle additionally includes 1 additional lamp, which can be fitted to the smokebox door (but no spare lamp irons if you want to remove the express headcode position lamps).

All I can say is more like this… 

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

That's a very pretty model.  The wheels and rods look particularly good - are these finer than in previous models or is it just the finish?

Really nice wheels.. but a standard hexbolt for the rods, Accurascale and Dapol have shown the way forward here.

but the finish is fantastic, I do need to shout out the smoothness of start up..ive not had the body off but I can tell straight off theres a strong motor in there, moving 500g of weight over just 6 wheels with a high turn of speed… no ones going to complain about haulage ability of this.

2231396F-3EAB-4DF7-860C-BEF5A212B71A.jpeg.248631c0883af9bb9be778edcbd0ec00.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, JhornG201 said:

I thought the lamps on the Turbomotive were to be removable/changeable similar to what’s been touted for the upcoming Black 5? 

The lamps look pretty solid fit to me, the centre lamp iron glued in.

The instructions only refer to changing the smokebox lampiron to a lamp, no spare lamp irons are in the bag, only 1 extra lamp (on a long clear plastic rod), clearly intended for the smokebox.

(But realistically this loco only ever did express passenger, LE most likely in reverse, and ECS workings, also probably in reverse).

i’m sure a permanent solution could be enacted to remove them if desired.

B8B2882B-535B-46F0-B956-BFF5946D1383.jpeg.fda707684e741474780fc7ab7bebfa81.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, RAF96 said:

Turbomotive sound profile has just gone live on the app so you can all have a listen and confirm if it’s right or wrong.

Hi. Could you please explain what app?

Is there another way to hear this without a smart phone. Laptop any good?

• Like 1

Whilst i wont be getting 1 , i have noticed that Hornby are going back to using the bar and wire for the tender coupling. The latest batches of W1 and the P2 all have the new style coupling. I would’ve thought they would use the new style on 6202….  Just a thought… 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

13 hours ago, craneman said:

My father saw the Turbomotive running as a turbine on many occasions, since at the time the house his parents lived in backed onto the main line, and maintains that he clearly remembers the sound. I have no reason to doubt him at all. He may be 92 but he is far from stupid or incapable. He is also most certainly within the target demographic for this model and has been on the waiting list since it was announced.

Well, it's good to hear he is in such good nick. :-)

And I hope he enjoys the model when it arrives.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, zr2498 said:

Hi. Could you please explain what app?

Is there another way to hear this without a smart phone. Laptop any good?

The app HM DCC (note not the HM DC one) is available from Android and iOS stores. Out of the box a TXS decoder runs on DCC with a default steam sound. To change this you need the app to get into Hornby server and to load that profile onto the TXS decoder.

As yet there is no support for Windows or Linux platforms.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, RAF96 said:

The app HM DCC (note not the HM DC one) is available from Android and iOS stores. Out of the box a TXS decoder runs on DCC with a default steam sound. To change this you need the app to get into Hornby server and to load that profile onto the TXS decoder.

As yet there is no support for Windows or Linux platforms.

@RAF96 Thanks very much for getting back to me on this .... but, oh dear! I have no wish to do any of this Hornby HM and TXS decoder malarkay. My phone is not up to it anyway. So I will cancel the sound fitted and get DCC ready. I guess the sound fitted DCC due Oct / Nov will have the correct sound without any sort of download. Why Hornby cannot have a demo on their site or U-tube is beyond me, especially as it can now be downloaded. I am sure one of the sound guys will provide a Turbomotive sound decoder at some time.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Fyi one trival change…

The parts bag is a ziplock, which means, assuming no fat fingers, you can add / fit and  remove parts from the bag, without affecting future value of an “unopened parts bag”.

Conversely s/h buyer beware as you wont know if the parts bag is whole or not.

others have done this for years but ive not noticed it with Hornby.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4