Hornby Turbomotive

Edge

• RMweb Gold

What I did note in Sams video was the keeper plate hides plungers picking up from the plate, which use traditional copper pickups off the wheels.

weve seen a variety of new ways of picks up recently, 15xx with its airfix 14xx style, split axles etc.

I wonder if in China some IP is being protected producing some newer ways ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

10 hours ago, adb968008 said:

What I did note in Sams video was the keeper plate hides plungers picking up from the plate, which use traditional copper pickups off the wheels.

weve seen a variety of new ways of picks up recently, 15xx with its airfix 14xx style, split axles etc.

I wonder if in China some IP is being protected producing some newer ways ?

That's a reasonable way to do it as long as the plungers don't stick, which they often do.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Picked up the LMS version on Saturday, installed a txs decoder. Runs smoothly, great sound. Quick running video.

I have to say it’s the first time I’ve used the txs on my OO layout (used in one loco on my TT). The ease of use is brilliant compared with my prodigy express, if a donlge is made for my DCC system then it’s the way forward for me, maybe even a cheap Hornby select  and dongle. 

Edited by jonnyuk
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, jonnyuk said:

Picked up the LMS version on Saturday, installed a txs decoder. Runs smoothly, great sound. Quick running video.

I have to say it’s the first time I’ve used the txs in my OO layout (used in one loco on my TT). The ease of use is brilliant compared with my prodigy express, if a single is made for my DCC system then it’s the way forward for me, maybe even a cheap Hornby select  and dongle. 

Thanks for posting. First time I have heard the txs. Similar to other at speed. Perhaps not a high pitched as Digitrains.

Is there much variation at start and slow speed, and wondering what the function list has available for a TXS decoder.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rogerzilla said:

That's a reasonable way to do it as long as the plungers don't stick, which they often do.

Possibly you've misunderstood?

The plungers are there instead of wires.  This means that you can remove the keeper plate without breaking wires.  Standard wipers on the wheels.  Is this at risk of sticking?

Seems like a good idea to me.

What I do like about Sam's videos is that he takes locos apart and looks inside, which saves me doing it...

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Well that was fun. My TXS fitted BR Turbomotive arrived today. Tested before despatch and  securely wrapped. Thank you, Derails. Put it on my DCC programming track and everything works nicely. Then I thought I would have a go at the Bluetooth, so DCC track power on, instructions followed. Loco does everything it should. Close down Bluetooth app, return to DCC and nothing happens. Go back to Bluetooth, won’t connect, can’t find anything. DCC Decoder Pro identifies the decoder but it won’t move or make noises when track power is applied. Fortunately I had read the manual at some stage and remembered something about CV12. I read it and it returned the value for Bluetooth control. I wrote a value of 0 and everything worked on DCC again. Then starting the app again it was possible to switch between DCC and Bluetooth. Much relief that it all worked again. 
I will give it a run on my garage layout tomorrow. I have always rather liked the idea of having a Turbomotive model but never got round to getting a kit. I am very happy to have this one. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

20 hours ago, zr2498 said:

Thanks for posting. First time I have heard the txs. Similar to other at speed. Perhaps not a high pitched as Digitrains.

Is there much variation at start and slow speed, and wondering what the function list has available for a TXS decoder.

there you go . . . 

IMG_1186.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

16 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Well that was fun. My TXS fitted BR Turbomotive arrived today. Tested before despatch and  securely wrapped. Thank you, Derails. Put it on my DCC programming track and everything works nicely. Then I thought I would have a go at the Bluetooth, so DCC track power on, instructions followed. Loco does everything it should. Close down Bluetooth app, return to DCC and nothing happens. Go back to Bluetooth, won’t connect, can’t find anything. DCC Decoder Pro identifies the decoder but it won’t move or make noises when track power is applied. Fortunately I had read the manual at some stage and remembered something about CV12. I read it and it returned the value for Bluetooth control. I wrote a value of 0 and everything worked on DCC again. Then starting the app again it was possible to switch between DCC and Bluetooth. Much relief that it all worked again. 
I will give it a run on my garage layout tomorrow. I have always rather liked the idea of having a Turbomotive model but never got round to getting a kit. I am very happy to have this one. 

You may wish to update the sound profile later as recent fettles have been incorporated across all profiles.

Edit -  added the word ‘later’ as the incremental updates are not available to gen-pop yet. Soon though.

Edited by RAF96
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, RAF96 said:

there you go . . . 

IMG_1186.jpeg

F27 - TXS supports dynamic brake? That's interesting.

Can you re-map functions with this? Surely it would be better to shove it on the same function as the braking sound & allow it to be varied by CV. Is that a little too much to ask from what is still a much cheaper decoder than a Zimo or ESU?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Can you re-map functions with this? Surely it would be better to shove it on the same function as the braking sound & allow it to be varied by CV. Is that a little too much to ask from what is still a much cheaper decoder than a Zimo or ESU?

oh for function mapping 😉 I think they are fed up of me raising this on the beta test chat 🤣

• Like 2

On 10/10/2023 at 10:17, Pete the Elaner said:

Nope - the famous manual specifically states the decoders do not support function mapping.

F27 brake is available both as a function button (page 3) and as a Brake button on the loco basic control page. The button will operate similar to Elite buttons, I.E. short press is on/off, but long press is on while held, off at release. Rate of braking can be altered by CV but logically will always have to be more than CV4 rate.

• Informative/Useful 1

LMSR 6202 (R30134) Turbomotive

I recently received the Hornby LMSR 6202 model, via Hatton's. I was stunned as I opened the shipping package, and the product packaging, so well done by both Hornby and Hatton's to ensure it made the journey safely (Australia) it was a joy as it was opened up.

The actual model is beautiful at first glance, everything looked perfect, however on closer inspection of the cab detail and finish, I would say it was disappointing, points as follows:

the crude removal of the knee guard on the drivers side, is very poor, nearly upsetting, as it is a left over from the standard Princess Royal Class cab.

the reverser screw gear is incorrect for 6202, and would have been better left off this build.

When comparing this 6202 (R30134) with 6201 (R3709) the detailing and quality/finish of the 6201 cab does exceed that of the 6202.

Notwithstanding pricing difference of each product, these issues require attention on future batches to ensure brand sustainability, and loyalty. On an up note, there appears to be real progress regarding colour matching across the different materials which make up the model, this together with the promoted features, I am sure will be well received.

IMG_9581.jpeg

this is the 6202 as produced, and as referenced in the text above.

IMG_9611.jpeg

this is the 6201 cab as produced, with more attention to the smallbore piping, the reverse screw assembly is also better presented.

Edited by 1BCamden
  • Like 2

On 07/10/2023 at 21:39, rogerzilla said:

It looks good but, based on the S*m's Tr**ns review, the motor isn't quite up to the job of hauling such a heavy loco, even before you add a train.

Well Sam is wrong. Mine runs very smoothly and whisked 12 coaches round like they weren't there.

Sam does say some odd things re performance in his reviews, highlighting a fundemental lack of electrical and mechanical understanding.

Edited by On30runner
  • Like 2
  • Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, On30runner said:

Well Sam is wrong. Mine runs very smoothly and whisked 12 coaches round like they weren't there.

Sam does say some odd things re performance in his reviews, highlighting a fundamental lack of electrical and mechanical understanding.

A lot of the time and definitely.
Sensationalist opinion to garner revenue earning clicks. Popular with his fan-boys.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, RAF96 said:

A lot of the time and definitely.
Sensationalist opinion to garner revenue earning clicks. Popular with his fan-boys.

It seems to be that, the less they know about their subject, the more successful they are as 'influencers'

A classic example of the blind leading the blind ......

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, rogerzilla said:

Does anyone know what radius he's using for that reverse curve where everything prone to sticking gets stuck?  Not sure it has the requisite coach length of straight between the curves, either.

Agree - you wouldnt get a Hunslet around his reverse curve never mind a Pacific in the real world. I do wonder if his running problems are down to his power supply, that curve and perhaps voltage drop if he is relying on the fishplates to carry the current. But I do find his reviews interesting as a totally different take on the hobby even if its one a lot of us find hard to relate to. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Agree - you wouldnt get a Hunslet around his reverse curve never mind a Pacific in the real world. I do wonder if his running problems are down to his power supply, that curve and perhaps voltage drop if he is relying on the fishplates to carry the current. But I do find his reviews interesting as a totally different take on the hobby even if its one a lot of us find hard to relate to. 

As a Sam Railways fan , the curves are second radius . As to voltage drop he has other locos go over there without any issues .  It seems a reasonable test to me .  I look at Sams trains and lots of other and make up my own mind .  The main benefit of these reviews is you actually get to see the train run . He also buys the models himself so are not "given" any to review  which makes him much more independent in my view . 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

Please could you explain - this is a new one on me?

CJI.

Reverse curves are prone to cause derailments or sticking unless the vehicles can straighten out before taking the opposing curve.  I don't know the physics behind it.

(Edit: on the 1:1 railway, buffer locking is an issue with close reverse curves and although that is rarely going to happen with tension-lock OO couplers, there are limits with the smaller types now used).

Crossovers are "accidental" reverse curves which is why some vehicles derail easily over them, unless you use express points to give a gentle transition.

Edited by rogerzilla
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Legend said:

As a Sam Railways fan , the curves are second radius . As to voltage drop he has other locos go over there without any issues .  It seems a reasonable test to me .  I look at Sams trains and lots of other and make up my own mind .  The main benefit of these reviews is you actually get to see the train run . He also buys the models himself so are not "given" any to review  which makes him much more independent in my view . 

i think your last point is what separates him from other well know reviewers, no axe to grind.

Edited by jonnyuk
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Legend said:

I couldnt help but notice, whilst he was complaining about 6202s top speed, he was running it on 6 whilst running a hell for leather conversion on 4 on the other track.

Obviously everyones top speed is there own preference, but personally seeing trainset speeds on older models is neither convincing nor eye warming.. that loco on 4 was jumping around the track trainset style. If that floats his boat fair enough, but viewers should look around the screen for context as well as hearing the words. I’m sure he could have found a Smokey Joe and achieved the same result on 4… but then someone might call his bluff rather than just taking his words.

Propoganda uses all the senses, not just words.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Legend said:

We are probably agreeing overall regarding Sam (though I'd never call myself a 'fan' of anybody I dont think) . However if the the power on Sams test track/layout is being transferred through the fish plates and if the track is able to move in the horizontal and vertical plane then it isnt a fair test or comparison. This loco (and the 9F before) are particularly heavy fixed wheelbase locos - how does Sam control for this for example. Is the track dipping on the bend under the weight of the loco so that the current drops? Then there is the whole discussion here and on other threads about modern models, their motor types and how many perform very well on DCC but less predictably on DC.  Personally think Sam needs a fixed basic circuit on a solid board to do meaningful comparative running tests. 

• Like 2

I'm another who watches for curiosity, and convenience of probably seeing a model before potential purchase - in case there are any 'alarm bells' to consider.

I received mine, after several Royal Mail hiccups, in perfect condition and must admit, he must have 'received a duffer' - mine does seem to be very well put together.

I had fun fitting the front steps I must admit, but haven't removed any 'masking cloth' for now, so really not certain what the steps are bonded to, but they seem aligned and solid enough.

I fitted my 'usual' P&D Marsh PDZ19 loco crew, which I prefer to the supplied ones.

I got some weight into the tender, but cannot approach ~50% of the locomotive, which I would have preferred - just me I suppose.

So far it looks a lovely model and I'll be getting some miles under her belt over the weekend.

Were there ever any thoughts for Nameplates, and where would they have been positioned?

Al.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

We are probably agreeing overall regarding Sam (though I'd never call myself a 'fan' of anybody I dont think) . However if the the power on Sams test track/layout is being transferred through the fish plates and if the track is able to move in the horizontal and vertical plane then it isnt a fair test or comparison. This loco (and the 9F before) are particularly heavy fixed wheelbase locos - how does Sam control for this for example. Is the track dipping on the bend under the weight of the loco so that the current drops? Then there is the whole discussion here and on other threads about modern models, their motor types and how many perform very well on DCC but less predictably on DC.  Personally think Sam needs a fixed basic circuit on a solid board to do meaningful comparative running tests. 

I think I have said this before but my P2 and this loco had a derailing issue, Sam with all his supposedly rubbish track did not. My track is Peco streamline and I am not the only one to have issues, so Hornby got away with that one. As to his 9F, he got supplied with a duff one, Hornby's fault, they should do better QA. I did the same tests on mine and it is perfect, the only different is I am running DCC with the latest Zimo sound decoder. In fact the 9F is the best loco I have for running. I suppose it could be his controller, but seeing as most of his issues are with "Gordons Hill" and its approaches, these are very close to the feed from his controller so not far enough for a large voltage drop. DCC uses PWM which gives better torque but so do most modern DC controllers.

Edited by ColinB
  • Like 1