Hornby 2023 - Wagon range

AY Mod

• Moderators

New tooling.  

Salmon bogie wagon

Salmon 1.jpg

See dedicated topic here - https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/176504-hornby-2023-new-tooling-salmonymo-bogie-wagon/

TTA tank wagon

TTA2.jpg

See dedicated topic here - https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/176505-hornby-2023-new-tooling-tta-tank-wagon/

Macaw B / Bogie Bolster C

Macaw B.jpg

See dedicated topic here - https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/176506-hornby-2023-new-tooling-macaw-b-bogie-bolster-c/

Railroad wagons

Slide49.JPG

Slide50.JPG

Slide51.JPG

Slide52.JPG

Slide53.JPG

One to One collection

Slide128.JPG

Wagon packs

Slide130.JPG

Slide131.JPG

Slide132.JPG

Main range wagons

Slide114.JPG

Price correction.

image.png

Slide115.JPG

Slide116.JPG

Slide117.JPG

Price correction.

image.png

Slide118.JPG

Slide119.JPG

Price correction.

image.png

Slide120.JPG

Slide121.JPG

Slide122.JPG

Slide134.JPG

Collectable & Seasonal wagons

Slide136.JPG

Slide137.JPG

Slide147.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, eldomtom2 said:

This post leaves out the Beatles-themed wagons announced for this year, including a truly hideous White Album one.

Avert your eyes...

I thought it was printing error, but of course it isn't.

My older son loves to Coca-Cola stuff, keeps him involved...so I am all for keeping a broad section of people involved and excited and it won't (please) all become this kind of stuff.

Now, if it was a Stones range...😝

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I must admit I've not looked at the Hornby wagon range for a while, but there do seem to be a good few 'LoFi' models there that are pretty good value at today's prices; big bogie wagons in the 20 to 30 quid bracket aren't available from the competition.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

a good few 'LoFi' models

The triple packs of PO wagons continue to perpetuate the ancient and grossly inappropriate 10 ft wheelbase steel underframe that really doesn't cut the mustard nowadays, given what other manufacturers are producing.

The 15 ft, 9 ft wheelbase wagons are rather better as representations of real wagons, in some cases actually in the liveries worn! Hornby have been studying Keith Turton's Private Owner Wagons: A Tenth Collection (Lightmoor Press, 2011):

The Hedleys wagon is based on the photo on p. 66; this is a wagon built by Gloucester RC&W Co. in 1902, which suits, as the Hornby 6-plank wagon has many Gloucester features. The main snag is that the Hornby model has fixed ends whereas the prototype was an end-door wagon. I wonder whether it would be possible to rectify this without damaging the beautifully-printed livery? (The same goes for the Crynant Colliery livery they did a while ago.) The H ought to be taller than the rest, up to the top of the top plank, and Hornby have normalised the rather square-shaped D.

The Brookes wagon is illustrated in the same volume, p. 33; the prototype has 4 planks but there resemblance ends, it being an unusually long wagon built by Chas. Roberts in 1946 (hence the austere livery) - for once the 10 ft wheelbase steel underframe might be nearer the mark!

The Marsh wagon is another goodish match, cf. p. 89, another Gloucester product, from 1911, though they've changed the number from 1 to 11. The model just lacks the stout wooden door stops of the prototype, which oughtn't to be much of a problem to add. 

These models depict oil axleboxes - Hornby's earlier version of underframe had a nice representation of round-bottomed greae axleboxes - and double-side brakes; the Marsh and Headleys wagons could benefit from being upgraded with the Cambrian Models Gloucester underframe kit; there are transfers for the Gloucester plates and registration plates from a couple of manufacturers.

2 hours ago, Aire Head said:

I'm sorry but that LMS 3 plank is outrageous.

How does that in anyway represent a 17'6" over headstocks D1927?

Now if they'd chosen the number of an ex-MR or ex-L&YR wagon, they wouldn't have been so wide of the mark!

But hey-ho, they're only wagons. Who cares? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

The triple packs of PO wagons continue to perpetuate the ancient and grossly inappropriate 10 ft wheelbase steel underframe that really doesn't cut the mustard nowadays, given what other manufacturers are producing.

In the past we've had BR steel tippler wagons and VEA vans on wooden underframes from Hornby, which is just as bad (if not worse!)

Which is why I thought your last line was appropriate........

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Halvarras said:

In the past we've had BR steel tippler wagons and VEA vans on wooden underframes from Hornby, which is just as bad (if not worse!)

Which is why I thought your last line was appropriate........

The TEA still seems  have the 'Transcontinental' coach bogies , whilst the bogie fertiliser wagon has Y25 ones, instead of Gloucester cast ones.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Now if they'd chosen the number of an ex-MR or ex-L&YR wagon, they wouldn't have been so wide of the mark!

That's what really irks me about it! Why chose a number for a 1930s wagon. It's not like their isn't enough images of more appropriate ones.

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

🙃

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Fat Controller said:

The TEA still seems  have the 'Transcontinental' coach bogies , whilst the bogie fertiliser wagon has Y25 ones, instead of Gloucester cast ones.

Not sure if this tea wagon has wood or steel underframe?

0e4b71_30689435e7c04edb8d9a5dcc12809315~

[Embedded link to IP Engineering website.]

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

4 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

The fertiliser wagon isn't even Y25's, its the same bogie that Lima used when first released 30-odd years ago, that someone told me was from a 1930's Italian coach.

Jon

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Aire Head said:

I'm sorry but that LMS 3 plank is outrageous.

How does that in anyway represent a 17'6" over headstocks D1927?

3 hours ago, Aire Head said:

That's what really irks me about it! Why chose a number for a 1930s wagon. It's not like their isn't enough images of more appropriate ones.

🙃

IIRC they've got previous form for this one- I'm sure there was an LMS 3-plank in the catalogue a couple of years back where they'd taken the livery details from a pic of a D.1927 and put them on their little 3-plank, which looks a bit like a Midland D.305

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I have to admit, I'm struggling to follow the pricing of some of the Hornby wagons! I know they're aimed at the collector/fun market, but £9.99 for the 2023 Roadshow and £23.99 for the Christmas one? Essentially the same wagon (I know they're not the same, but you get what I mean) with added load of parcels for almost 2.5 times the price? And more expensive than the prototypical ZDA/OAA, Satlink ZRA (£19.99) and even the bogie Palvan (£21.99). Even the TEA bogie tanker, as much as it might not be the most accurate model ever, will satisfy a lot of people at just £3.50 more than the Christmas wagon.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hornby have at least managed to get me to bite on one offering, an order has gone in for 2 Macaw. I’m tempted by the Salmon as well but I’ll hold off until I’ve seen livery samples, the website is showing them as being grey but almost certain they were all in black. Assuming that’s just a mistake on the website, given they’ve also put a picture of a dilapidated macaw on the Salmon page.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Invicta said:

IIRC they've got previous form for this one- I'm sure there was an LMS 3-plank in the catalogue a couple of years back where they'd taken the livery details from a pic of a D.1927 and put them on their little 3-plank, which looks a bit like a Midland D.305

Had they stuck the number from an old Midland Wagon on it I wouldn't have minded to be honest.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

21 hours ago, Invicta said:

There are those that know, those that don’t know and those who don’t care and will settle for a pretty wagon painted the way that suits them!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

There are those that know, those that don’t know and those who don’t care and will settle for a pretty wagon painted the way that suits them!

Ah, but pity those who know too much and are traumatised in consequence.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

On 10/01/2023 at 18:54, JDW said:

I have to admit, I'm struggling to follow the pricing of some of the Hornby wagons! I know they're aimed at the collector/fun market, but £9.99 for the 2023 Roadshow and £23.99 for the Christmas one? Essentially the same wagon (I know they're not the same, but you get what I mean) with added load of parcels for almost 2.5 times the price? And more expensive than the prototypical ZDA/OAA, Satlink ZRA (£19.99) and even the bogie Palvan (£21.99). Even the TEA bogie tanker, as much as it might not be the most accurate model ever, will satisfy a lot of people at just £3.50 more than the Christmas wagon.

That one's easy.

They normally sell the Roadshow wagons cheaply at the events they attend. Sometimes even giving them away in the goodie bags when the year is nearly up. They are seen as more like a corporate souvenir than something meant for a layout.

With the Xmas wagon they know people will want the new date on it for going around the Xmas tree so they buy the wagon rather than buying a whole new train set every year.

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

And the Drax hopper madness continues....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304783712566?hash=item46f6866136:g:woAAAOSwgnhj1B6p

I note the seller (£3k Accurascale sleepers) has now changed their location to be a little less detailed.

I wonder if they look in on RMweb?

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, newbryford said:

And the Drax hopper madness continues....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304783712566?hash=item46f6866136:g:woAAAOSwgnhj1B6p

I note the seller (£3k Accurascale sleepers) has now changed their location to be a little less detailed.

I wonder if they look in on RMweb?

Far out, that’s over twice the price they would be from a store. Bloody rip off artists. 

People on RMweb not understanding the mindset of people who aren't modellers shocker. Film at eleven. 

The Christmas wagons (and other special event wagons, such as the Father's Day wagon, or themed wagons, such as the Beatles collection or the football club collection) are deliberately aimed at collectors. Not modellers. They're not really even aimed at train set buyers, although they're more likely to run them than we are. There are people who buy the Christmas wagon every year, because they buy the Christmas wagon every year. And if they ever miss out on one when it's first released, they'll fill in the gap from eBay and pay whatever is necessary. And that's their thing. It's like collecting stamps, or coins, or Panini stickers, or Pokemon. The whole point is to get them all.

• Agree 6