Hornby, A Model World. Series 2.

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Over-scale "B4", another source of O-16.5 conversion fodder?

Was exactly what popped into my head when I saw it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Farang said:

The new Merchant Navy sound was being demonstrated in a model of 35025 Lamport & Holt Line. When did Hornby release that model?

If Simon Davies-Kohler is 72 isn't it about time he retired?

It was 35026  - and is due out(?) in the Spring 2023. It also appeared to be fitted with one of the new, yet to be released decoders.

Edited by Bulleidboy100

6 hours ago, Farang said:

The new Merchant Navy sound was being demonstrated in a model of 35025 Lamport & Holt Line. When did Hornby release that model?

If Simon Davies-Kohler is 72 isn't it about time he retired?

Which leads on to the question.... Who would be his replacement, and what changes could we expect?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, tommyliam021 said:

With regards to the B4 which may or may not be overscale, I’m almost certain that at least the moulded brake blocks,  wheelbase, wheel diameter and coupling rods are identical to the current 0-4-0 chassis. 

The comment was made on screen that "the cab is too high" and it was a 3D print, so I'd expect the final version to be closer to scale. 

I agree that the chassis needs to be dimensionally similar to that of the existing starter locos, or Hornby will have to do the job all over again if they want to make DCC versions of any of them.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Over-scale "B4", another source of O-16.5 conversion fodder?

Of course there's already a body kit from EDM Models to fit the Dapol B4 - Fletcher Jennings Townsend Hook - resin printed body and a number of cast brass fittings.

https://ngtrains.com/shop/product/townsend-hook-body-kit/

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

The comment was made on screen that "the cab is too high" and it was a 3D print, so I'd expect the final version to be closer to scale. 

I agree that the chassis needs to be dimensionally similar to that of the existing starter locos, or Hornby will have to do the job all over again if they want to make DCC versions of any of them.

John

Didn't they also mention platform clearances, too (but NB: the Bagnall is very wide)? It'd be great if they put a smaller motor in to fit the existing dimensions, but I'm still expecting another Frankenloco.

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, stewartingram said:

Which leads on to the question.... Who would be his replacement, and what changes could we expect?

Inevitably I would think a person recruited from outside unless one of the existing Brand Managers has sufficient experience and knowledge across the whole range of brands to be be given the job.  Don't forget that SK's job - Marketing & Development Director - covers most of the brands (?all) - not just model railways so any replacement could come from another brand route within the company or from a different background in that general area outside the company.  

Should SK decide to retire, or otherwise depart the company, the CEO would (should) have both a job profile and a person profile for the post based on the way they want the post to work and what they want it to deliver.  Those profiles will be the base from which the search for a replacement would start.  You can more or less forget 'buggin's turn next' nowadays.

And in any case this matter is 100% conjecture at present and for as long as SK remains in his job as he seem to be a pretty active and highly committed chap who doesn't look as if he has early retirement in mind.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I think many are missing the point of the 'B4-esque' loco.Its not intended to be a scale model,it's a starter model,which SK referred to as '5 year olds handling it'. A scale B4 would be too small and delicate ,and he is well aware that Dapol have nailed that avenue .The project is to have a 'different' starter loco for beginners sets,as a change from 101, Smokey Joe etc.

The model shown is probably nearer S scale,but could find a use for freelance/industrial use,but don't expect it to magically shrink to 1:76 and grow a finely detailed chassis for under £100 for the train set 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jamieb said:

I think many are missing the point of the 'B4-esque' loco.Its not intended to be a scale model,it's a starter model,which SK referred to as '5 year olds handling it'. A scale B4 would be too small and delicate ,and he is well aware that Dapol have nailed that avenue .The project is to have a 'different' starter loco for beginners sets,as a change from 101, Smokey Joe etc.

The model shown is probably nearer S scale,but could find a use for freelance/industrial use,but don't expect it to magically shrink to 1:76 and grow a finely detailed chassis for under £100 for the train set 

Resizing to 1:76 is highly likely, otherwise it'll dwarf all the other 0-4-0 beginners locos, especially as the proposed van and open wagon are pretty much to "scale".  Its been simplified already, making it a little smaller won't reduce durability, thicknesses will be adjusted to suit. Using  the generic chassis or a "modernised" version to suit the scalextrix motor, is a given!

3 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

Am sure the production model will be tougher but that cab support rod looked much too fragile for a 5 yr old.  Not sure what they could do to make it tough enough without being hugely overscale 

Like Smokey Joe*, that'll go missing too, unless they can make a toddler safe stainless steel wire shape to fit.

2 hours ago, Mark Dickerson said:

Didn't they also mention platform clearances, too (but NB: the Bagnall is very wide)? It'd be great if they put a smaller motor in to fit the existing dimensions, but I'm still expecting another Frankenloco.

They did. Its not just the Bagnall, but the steps on the Barclay are too wide too as they're built out to cover the cylinders on the 0-4-0 chassis!

* The collectable Centenary Smokey Joe got it back!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

And in any case this matter is 100% conjecture at present and for as long as SK remains in his job as he seem to be a pretty active and highly committed chap who doesn't look as if he has early retirement in mind.

How many more Dublo items are there to recreate ?

N2 and EE type 1 are two that spring to mind.  Is SK going to complete the Dublo range in a final triumphant flourish ?

IMHO there jam is spread way too thinly now and the good ole Hornby range is just part of the overall circus.  I wish we could go back to the days when there was actually something announced that appealed to us, but then I guess "steam" is just the new magnadhesion or Zero 1 maybe ?   

"SK" really has some pretty big boots to fill  if and when he chooses to hang them up.  Needs someone with a very comprehensive grasp of the model world, or actually could more than one person coexist in the role ? 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JohnR said:

We seem to be forgetting that the model shown is nowhere near the finished product.

The thing is, the last last time there was a new starter 0-4-0 it went to market oversize. BTW I'm not hoping for scale, just "sane", although I'd point out smaller toys like Matchbox cars were deemed suitable for 3-years-old and above - and while comparable in size to Smokey Joe, the various US HO Little Joes and side tanks managed shorter wheel bases and smaller wheels.

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Resizing to 1:76 is highly likely, otherwise it'll dwarf all the other 0-4-0 beginners locos, especially as the proposed van and open wagon are pretty much to "scale".  Its been simplified already, making it a little smaller won't reduce durability, thicknesses will be adjusted to suit. Using  the generic chassis or a "modernised" version to suit the scalextrix motor, is a given!

Like Smokey Joe*, that'll go missing too, unless they can make a toddler safe stainless steel wire shape to fit.

They did. Its not just the Bagnall, but the steps on the Barclay are too wide too as they're built out to cover the cylinders on the 0-4-0 chassis!

* The collectable Centenary Smokey Joe got it back!

You may be right about the size being adjusted to 1:76 but if that's the case,I don't see why they wouldn't have printed it to scale for testing if the mechanism fitted the body? 

I think it's best to consider it as a toy unless anything changes to make it seem otherwise 

On the subject of sets for beginners, I did not realise that the Valley Drifter set, which the B4 was being compared with/based on, had prog rock references - loco name Crimson King and PO wagon owner as 1 R. Fripp.  Are Hornby also starting youngsters off on their music appreciation too?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, bodmin16 said:

On the subject of sets for beginners, I did not realise that the Valley Drifter set, which the B4 was being compared with/based on, had prog rock references - loco name Crimson King and PO wagon owner as 1 R. Fripp.  Are Hornby also starting youngsters off on their music appreciation too?

If you look back through a number of the past Hornby starter sets they often have a link to music bands, someone at Margate definitely has a prog rock / rock music interest...

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

If you look back through a number of the past Hornby starter sets they often have a link to music bands, someone at Margate definitely has a prog rock / rock music interest...

I didn't realise that, I am off on a quest now.   Does Smokey Joe on the Water count? 😂

• Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Covkid said:

How many more Dublo items are there to recreate ?

N2 and EE type 1 are two that spring to mind.  Is SK going to complete the Dublo range in a final triumphant flourish ?

IMHO there jam is spread way too thinly now and the good ole Hornby range is just part of the overall circus.  I wish we could go back to the days when there was actually something announced that appealed to us, but then I guess "steam" is just the new magnadhesion or Zero 1 maybe ?   

"SK" really has some pretty big boots to fill  if and when he chooses to hang them up.  Needs someone with a very comprehensive grasp of the model world, or actually could more than one person coexist in the role ? 

8F, Castle, Rebuilt WC (and the air-smoothed one that didn't make it out until Wrenn days, ditto the Scot and the streamlined Duchess). R1, Standard 4 tank, and a much shorter "Deltic". There was also supposedly, an Adams Radial on the go at Binns Road, but a third one of those might be taking things too far! 😆. However, they did a MN in HD form, so there's no block to (for instance) an A1, a Lord Nelson or a host of others.

TBH, I'm being offered plenty that appeals to me, it's just that very little of it has been coming in red boxes of late, or seems likely to for a good while yet.

Is that a problem? Not for me, but it might be for Hornby if too many others feel the same way.

However, I'd not expect (or necessarily desire) too much in the way of continuity when SK does decide to go and concentrate on a layout of his own. Whoever takes over will want to make the job "theirs". 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

John

It’s also worth noting that on the CAD images the chassis also looks like the existing one. I for one would be grateful if Hornby would release a DCC ready version of the 0-4-0 chassis, less burnt fingers for me then!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1