Hornby, A Model World. Series 2.

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Mel_H said:

The 'skidding Scotsman' is one - the 'howler' is Clan Line on the 'turntable' - the tender's back to front (it's happened before, in an advert (not by a manufacturer) IIRC

But that's really film/TV show 'rivet counting'.  The director and editor obviously didn't realise it was any sort of problem so those shots were included in the broadcast programme.  A substantial majority of the programme maker's target audience will either not notice or not know, or care about the difference, if they did notice.  

I enjoyed the programme (albeit taking some of what was said with a helping of salt) but it's a tv programme  and one that's more akin to a reality show than a documentary.   It's there mainly to entertain people while Hornby get some free publicity out of it and some promo for their products.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

5 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

IIRC SK came to Hornby when they took over H&M.

Well H&M we’re blimen good products. I still get power for some things from my 1960s Duette. My H&M walkabouts are still the best controllers ever for DC, excluding coreless motors of course.

9109424A-649D-49C0-AE42-F84425EB9A7E.jpeg.369df68fca5fdd9dc88fa404d4db75f9.jpeg

• Like 4

23 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

IIRC SK came to Hornby when they took over H&M.

Yes, I first met SK when he visited the model shop I worked in, in about the late 1970's or early 1980's- he was the rep for H&M and wanted us to stock their products. I said we didn't want to, but offered him a cup of coffee as I was about to make myself one.

Twenty plus years later I met the head man at Hornby and asked him if he would support my local model railway club (which I was Chairman of) and much to my surprise the head man at Hornby agreed.

The next time I saw the head man at Hornby I thanked him for his support and said that I was grateful (and surprised) that he had been so supportive. He replied that he had been grateful for that cup of coffee and so it was just payback time.

After all those years, I didn't recognise him, but he remembered me!

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 14

On 21/01/2023 at 11:08, The Stationmaster said:

But that's really film/TV show 'rivet counting'.  The director and editor obviously didn't realise it was any sort of problem so those shots were included in the broadcast programme.  A substantial majority of the programme maker's target audience will either not notice or not know, or care about the difference, if they did notice.  

I enjoyed the programme (albeit taking some of what was said with a helping of salt) but it's a tv programme  and one that's more akin to a reality show than a documentary.   It's there mainly to entertain people while Hornby get some free publicity out of it and some promo for their products.

Quite a lot of salt and plenty of sauce! I did smile when Jules Holland was discussing Minic Motorways as a tail to the segment on Scalextric, and SK was talking Hornby but there was a prominent advert for Tri-Ang Minic Motorways in shot.

And to suggest that the Rovex Princess (my plunger pick-up one is in the drawer behind me) led to Hornby without first being bought out by Tri-Ang to form the basis of their competition to Hornby Dublo was egregious to say the least. I am amazed too that Pete Waterman, while professing to play as a kid with his Rovex Princess set, still had it all in the original boxes and in very good condition, banana-ing coaches excepted.

• Like 2

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, Pint of Adnams said:

I am amazed too that Pete Waterman, while professing to play as a kid with his Rovex Princess set, still had it all in the original boxes and in very good condition,

You're believing what you see on telly*; it will have been sent from Hornby's collection to Pete to do an unboxing video.

* See notes at beginning of topic.

• Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1

2 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

You're believing what you see on telly*; it will have been sent from Hornby's collection to Pete to do an unboxing video.

* See notes at beginning of topic.

I'm believing what Pete Waterman implied Andy... but given the many other switches to an alternate reality/time stream, does it matter?

Pat Hammond in The Story of Rovex Vol 1 1950-1965 comments Rovex were trying to produce a Southern tender loco without the expense of psitons and valve gear. The L1 was simple and cheap. In Vol 2 1965-1971 further comments are that produced as a cheap to make mixed traffic locomotive, it was more popular with serious modellers than with children who preferred large express engines or small tank engines. 60,000 were made as BR 31757 between 1960 and 1968, around 7000 of which were in Triang-Hornby boxes and a further 9000+ as SR 1757 made in 1972 for Hornby Railways when the tender was revamped with the rivet pattern removed from the sides. (Vol 3 1972-1996).

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

I thought that before H&M, SK was involved with a Northampton model shop? I'm sure that in Series 2 prog 1, he did make a brief mention of it again.

Yes, he was. But I think he had been with H&M for several years before the Hornby takeover and the move to Margate.

• Agree 1

Well..

I enjoyed that episode!

The new starter set loco looks good too.

(And a complete lack of FS, and one "iconic", applied, this time, to Clan Line!)

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Just seen the latest edition and maybe I my eyesight is not as good as it should be but the new 0-4-0 appears very tall when compared with the van on the back of the train. Given that the loco appears to be the same height as the 3F they put beside it at one point. So to my mind they need to sort out the new van for their starter set.

1 minute ago, Chris116 said:

Just seen the latest edition and maybe I my eyesight is not as good as it should be but the new 0-4-0 appears very tall when compared with the van on the back of the train. Given that the loco appears to be the same height as the 3F they put beside it at one point. So to my mind they need to sort out the new van for their starter set.

It depends on the van being modelled, not all are of uniform height.  Its like looking at Terriers compared to normal sized stock...

• RMweb Gold

13 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Well..

I enjoyed that episode!

The new starter set loco looks good too.

(And a complete lack of FS, and one "iconic", applied, this time, to Clan Line!)

Nice to see the word being applied with justification for once! 😈

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Its interesting re the starter set that they're talking about manufacturing it in India, getting fed up with production problems in China?

@didcotI didn't look to closely at the 3d print.  When the recorder has finished with Silent Witness, I'll look at the Hornby recording and scoot through to the end to see if the hand brake cutout made it!

I was just thinking, the B4 would be an ideal "design clever" candidate, with a starter set version, and a full fat one to follow, though I suppose Dapol would feel a little miffed...

Edited by Hroth
Extra...

Interesting episode. The starter locomotive is interesting as I hadn't seen it in the 2023 range launch so I presume it is coming in 2024. The Jules Holland segment was especially fun as he gave a tour of his layout. My daughter watching with me enjoyed the comments about making room for a model railway! However the best bit was she now wants to help with building some scenery on our layout this weekend - so the program does inspire the next generation 

Edited by banburysaint
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Nice to see the word being applied with justification for once! 😈

You’ll enjoy next weeks episode then as it features the purple one with Taw Valley.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Its interesting re the starter set that they're talking about manufacturing it in India, getting fed up with production problems in China?

@didcotI didn't look to closely at the 3d print.  When the recorder has finished with Silent Witness, I'll look at the Hornby recording and scoot through to the end to see if the hand brake cutout made it!

I was just thinking, the B4 would be an ideal "design clever" candidate, with a starter set version, and a full fat one to follow, though I suppose Dapol would feel a little miffed...

Always supposing there would be any sales left for Hornby. The Dapol ones have been around for a good while with several batches released in the popular liveries and the major variations covered, too.

I've bought the two that are all I need from Dapol and they are among the finest runners I've ever owned. My little Hornby Pecketts perform well, but the Dapol B4s are in a different league.

I'll have a closer look later, but on first sight, the starter one appeared to have been "adjusted" to fit over the standard 0-4-0 chassis with any dimensional resemblance to a B4 thus being coincidental.... 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 1