Class 66, By Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, newbryford said:

37 and 66 cannot work in multi, so either it'll need two drivers or one loco is only idling/shutdown

Thanks @newbryford Having done a little more research, I take your point. Not only speed matching, but different characteristics may well be an issue.

1 hour ago, Goodnight Sweetheart said:

You’ve probably got it covered but I’ve just seen 66776 & 701 double headed, there is very different colour to the orange elements of the cabs. Probably down to the 20+ years of weather exposure to 701 as it looked more pale yellow than the orange on 776.

The paint is similar ages. 701 repainted 2014, 776 delivered 2015.

It's the Eastleigh repaints where the orange tends to turn to desert sand, plus a handful of others like the HNRC 20s.

The blue also varies across the GB locos, it isn't just fading.

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

701 was repainted into ‘original’ GBRf livery (in 2015 as steadfast says) which is a bit yellower than it is now

5BFD5565-23A8-43AB-B0CD-B903A84DCD40.jpeg.18fbef98385e5e9a83a1f21ea47e1c11.jpeg

66776 still has its ex-europorte livery which is when it became a bit oranger

858B642E-1457-4B4D-9FEE-FD212B8C0470.jpeg.d95d7094e0b173d8eb1744b9f0f76a50.jpeg

some of the new repaints retain the orang-ness but don’t have the europorte roundels 

28C5A327-F6D0-4769-9FCE-078D305E626B.jpeg.f905487e07504097d82ccf879450a141.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, big jim said:

701 was repainted into ‘original’ GBRf livery (in 2015 as steadfast says) which is a bit yellower than it is now

5BFD5565-23A8-43AB-B0CD-B903A84DCD40.jpeg.18fbef98385e5e9a83a1f21ea47e1c11.jpeg

66776 still has its ex-europorte livery which is when it became a bit oranger

858B642E-1457-4B4D-9FEE-FD212B8C0470.jpeg.d95d7094e0b173d8eb1744b9f0f76a50.jpeg

some of the new repaints retain the orang-ness but don’t have the europorte roundels 

28C5A327-F6D0-4769-9FCE-078D305E626B.jpeg.f905487e07504097d82ccf879450a141.jpeg

3 different headlights, 3 different front sandboxes, 3 different centre spot light, 3 different airdam step arrangements, 3 different handrails on the cab front, 2 different buffers, 2 different airpipe arrangements, 2 different horn grill boxes, 2 different cab welds, 2 different cabs 

Thats 25 different alterations, on just 3 locos, before even looking at the bodysides….

and they say they are all the same.

i’m hoping the interim body side layout used on the Porterbrook/HSBC  Euro ones from c2002 is added to the tooling suite by Accurascale at some point, so we can have the gbrf Euro imports.

I recall seeing the PB01-PB20 ones stored around Rotterdam in plain grey c2004 waiting a leasee, didnt think they would come go the UK 2 decades later.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, adb968008 said:

3 different headlights, 3 different front sandboxes, 3 different centre spot light, 3 different airdam step arrangements, 3 different handrails on the cab front, 2 different buffers, 2 different airpipe arrangements, 2 different horn grill boxes, 2 different cab welds, 2 different cabs 

Thats 25 different alterations, on just 3 locos, before even looking at the bodysides….

and they say they are all the same.

i’m hoping the interim body side layout used on the Porterbrook/HSBC  Euro ones from c2002 is added to the tooling suite by Accurascale at some point, so we can have the gbrf Euro imports.

I recall seeing the PB01-PB20 ones stored around Rotterdam in plain grey c2004 waiting a leasee, didnt think they would come go the UK 2 decades later.

Dont forget the coupling hook & front steps under the lower lights

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, newbryford said:

37 and 66 cannot work in multi, so either it'll need two drivers or one loco is only idling/shutdown

Presumably consists with two AC 66's would be OK as long as speed matching was checked first.

I might have to wait for a DRS 66/4 to come along.

23 hours ago, newbryford said:

Isn't the additional MW socket on the end of some of the DRS 37s AAR? Or is it a different system?

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, G-BOAF said:

Isn't the additional MW socket on the end of some of the DRS 37s AAR? Or is it a different system?

No - it's DRS version of blue star

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Fran and everyone at Accurascale, 

I hope you are all well? 

I just thought I would post a constructive comment regarding the original Hattons Class 66 tooling and the improvements you are making to the tooling now that it’s yours. 

I have this week been working on three of Hattons models and a couple of things have crossed my mind that require improving on your model. 

Firstly, on the Hattons model at one end they pre-fitted some of the detailing parts and this then had to removed should you wish to fit the NEM coupling as I have by removing the bodyshell fully and undoing screws to remove said detailing and to fit the NEM pocket and coupling. This is a bit of a faff to do because you can damage the detailing parts you are removing and when fitting the NEM pocket and coupling. So just to confirm on the 66 tooling now it’s yours will they arrive with customers with NEM pockets and couplings fitted at both ends with detailing parts in a bag as the Class 37s have done, for customers that wish to fit those parts? 

The second point I just want to make is that during production can you ensure that all of the detailing especially grilles and fans etc, the bigger and most noticeable of detailing parts are well fitted to the models? On the FL 66587 model in ONE livery I have been working on, before I had even finished doing the bits and pieces necessary to the model one of the large bodyside grilles had come off completely and whilst I have managed to superglue it back on, it’s not something that you really want to be doing to new models. It’s the same with the grilled area on the roof, they don’t seem to be fixed that securely into position and just by gently placing your finger on them, they feel like they are going to come off too. 

Lastly, am I correct in thinking that now the tooling is yours access to fit a DCC Decoder or DCC Sound Decoder will be through the removable roof section as per the Class 37? If so this would be brilliant because it would save removing and refitting the bodyshell and risk damaging detailing parts, knocking them off or both. 

I just thought I would post this comment to try and make this Class 66 the best that it can be. 

Thank you in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Lastly, am I correct in thinking that now the tooling is yours access to fit a DCC Decoder or DCC Sound Decoder will be through the removable roof section as per the Class 37? If so this would be brilliant because it would save removing and refitting the bodyshell and risk damaging detailing parts, knocking them off or both. 

Head to the first page and you'll find the answer.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, toby_tl10 said:

Head to the first page and you'll find the answer.

1 hour ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

Danny I think this image answers the removable roof section question. 

IMG_0898.png

Thank you both for the replies and information, it’s greatly appreciated. 

I must have missed that piece of information and image with the roof removed. It’s excellent to hear and see that fitting decoders will be easy. 

Thank you. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Firstly, on the Hattons model at one end they pre-fitted some of the detailing parts and this then had to removed should you wish to fit the NEM coupling as I have by removing the bodyshell fully and undoing screws to remove said detailing and to fit the NEM pocket and coupling. This is a bit of a faff to do because you can damage the detailing parts you are removing and when fitting the NEM pocket and coupling. So just to confirm on the 66 tooling now it’s yours will they arrive with customers with NEM pockets and couplings fitted at both ends with detailing parts in a bag as the Class 37s have done, for customers that wish to fit those parts? 

However, for those that want detailed ends, having to fit the bits from a bag is a bit of a faff...

Point being, you can never please all of the people all of the time and we all have our preference.

Roy

• Agree 8

• RMweb Gold

Fwiw,

at Model Rail scotland, I had a go at body removal myself on a sample, it is a doddle, and more like the class 37… just unclip and off… just how it should be!

I’m not sure if it made these threads but I recall discussing the grills and seem to think they mentioned changing gauge of the metal, rather than lugging it. But either way I left reassured they got it covered.

none of the faffing around with cab steps… they sorted that !

i’m looking forwards to that and less of this..

C69C060C-F0E7-4BFB-9832-F1046DE39EF2.jpeg.734c512ea459a57adb7d3f76b13ddb5f.jpeg

(I’m amazed no ones made these in 3D as replacements yet for the Hattons one)

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

I wonder will the Accurascale Cab step solution be available to retro fit on the Hattons models?

Be easy enough to just cut them off the body and glue them to the chassis

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Would be a step in the right direction for sure John.....:)

Depending on your pov…

It could be a step up, step down, step in the right direction or even one small step for man…

but my own preference..

One Step Beyond….

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just been looking closer at the website pictures tonight, and some very subtle improvements are creeping out moving this model forwards from the Hattons model…

look closely at this picture from the website…

66001 already has specific features unique to it, but look at the generic features…

857B5B2E-9C46-4090-91B1-7814B3E1E079.jpeg.906672db64ffd74e885d2207f3c9667a.jpeg

compare it to the Hattons one..

cab air inlet…, builders plate, and “number 1” bogie print..

537084F9-F4CC-4ECA-8129-91EECA05722B.jpeg.4ca59fd1b169c81a0748cb28a2758eac.jpeg

also the cab backhead is updated…

1C9E3EA4-A6AD-432A-9E22-79E70DF97922.jpeg.fe7a8e3e885bca43d078faa0d9784954.jpeg

and updates to the bogie frame…

846AFF10-335A-4205-9B72-0F0421D29919.jpeg.30429a9a360f511eb4bb8f3d845a7eee.jpeg

Theres a lot more to this model than just fixing up the Hattons faults… its really taking it to next level.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 8

I’m just hoping they get the colour and intensity just right on all of the lights 🤞🏻 something which I personally think let’s down ALOT of models across manufacturers. Though Bachmann do seem to have improved in this department.

The improvements you’ve pointed out @adb968008 shows that Accurascale team certainly are working towards a top model indeed!

10 hours ago, big jim said:

the blue thing on the bogie on the accurascale model that you’ve circled is a tripcock mount, I can’t see any pics of it in EWS livery with that bracket only later DB livery pics 

It's Accurascale's attempt at the sandpipe mounting bracket isn't it Jim?

Ready to go to Kernow

There are two styles, the Hattons model represents later style (straight diagonal piece) the Accurascale model shows the earlier style. Not sure when they changed, but we have both styles on our 66s. 66001 was built with earlier type, but has carried the later type too due to bogie swaps.

Edit to add, 66145 was the first loco with the later style.

A mix of styles in this picture

66s and a 59

The tripcock bracket bolts onto the bogie and hides the sandpipe bracket from view, seen here.

Finally for a bonus point here's one of 001 with Tripcock kit in EWS. From memory I think it did one season in EWS before repaint.

8196678387_869157d448_b.jpg

Pictures all linked from Flickr.

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

15 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

Finally for a bonus point here's one of 001 with Tripcock kit in EWS. From memory I think it did one season in EWS before repaint.

8196678387_869157d448_b.jpg

Picture from Flickr.

Is that what's known as 'heavily weathered'?

• Funny 6

1 minute ago, Graham108 said:

Is that what's known as 'heavily weathered'?

L@@k!!! Professionally Weathered!!! 

is what the eBay listing would look like!

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Funny 4