Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

In the real world I cannot ever recall...

6 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

How about these? 

Layout with shadows

Only problem is how to filter out the none model related ones! 

And I bet someone will be along to tell us that in the real world they never saw a Teddy Bear work a train so purposefully… 😀

Nice shadows (not sure about the treatment of the loco, though) :-)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BachelorBoy said:

I'm not sure the Goodies counts as real life. But there's this....

Now that's just asking for trouble. I have perspex covers on my layout to keep the cats out of the catenary. I could model an asteroid strike with one of them "Mr.Chonky"!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, BachelorBoy said:

I'm not sure the Goodies counts as real life. But there's this....

Cat obviously looking at the lower tunnel, with a big chunk cut out, and no headroom to the track above, and thinking "not in real life".

rps20230421_163226.jpg.d59641babbd08f7013a7e281360beecb.jpg

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Artless Bodger said:

St Mary Redcliffe too - the harbour branch did run under the churchyard.

I don't think generally there's an issue with churches, graveyards or other buildings being on top of tunnels, it's when those features are only separated by the thickness of a sheet of ply that it looks really unrealistic. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

Guilty on many counts above.

Church over a tunnel

4 track - well not a tunnel but an overline structure / bridge

Short terminus platforms, 4 carriages, but an inordinately large engine shed to serve them

No people - except the driver of the pelican

Mixed periods - pregroup to BR blue

Busses on bridges

No signals

Inaccurate wagon lengths / underframes 

No head or tail lamps

No ballast on much of it

I could go on but it's already too depressing, and as I was already despondent about the layout trainset, it has prompted me to start the big dig. First remove the church plateau and overline structure - that leaves me with the more prototypical 90 degree cardboard cutting, at least I dont have to dismantle half the scenery to clean the track or recover wayward stock.

The terminus will go - it's only a parade ground for my stock to get dusty. It will give us more storage space.

That will leave the roundy-roundy, then it will really be JATS - just a train set and no longer (if it ever was) fit to show its face on here (or anywhere else for that matter).

Hey-ho, such is life.

PS, I enjoyed it - mostly - while it lasted.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Artless Bodger said:

I could go on but it's already too depressing, and as I was already despondent about the layout trainset, it has prompted me to start the big dig. First remove the church plateau and overline structure - that leaves me with the more prototypical 90 degree cardboard cutting, at least I dont have to dismantle half the scenery to clean the track or recover wayward stock.

The terminus will go - it's only a parade ground for my stock to get dusty. It will give us more storage space.

That will leave the roundy-roundy, then it will really be JATS - just a train set and no longer (if it ever was) fit to show its face on here (or anywhere else for that matter).

Hey-ho, such is life.

Don't be depressed by it; in fact take heart from the fact that it's less contrived and therefore better. Don't hide it away; develop it and show it off here.

• Like 2
  • Agree 8
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, 97406 said:

On the subject of thin plywood over tunnel portals (and apologies if this has been mentioned before in this thread), but…. 

image.jpeg.3ed8db0275ef2a07a086812de6521386.jpeg

True; there was no need for it to be a tunnel until some yards further on but was there to appease the Ansons (who liked boats more than trains). Brassey could have done away for it altogether if he'd gone a few yards north and through the house itself. :) They managed to avoid doing another tunnel northwards until the approaches to Glasgow but that one's not much either. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, AY Mod said:

True; there was no need for it to be a tunnel until some yards further on but was there to appease the Ansons (who liked boats more than trains). Brassey could have done away for it altogether if he'd gone a few yards north and through the house itself. :) They managed to avoid doing another tunnel northwards until the approaches to Glasgow but that one's not much either. 

Old Trafford tunnel on the former MSJ&A is another example - it goes under a large road junction. It was the first tunnel I experienced going through as a kid,

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, 97406 said:

Old Trafford tunnel on the former MSJ&A is another example - it goes under a large road junction. It was the first tunnel I experienced going through as a kid,

A few years back I'd often have to sit at the traffic lights there in morning rush hour; lovely little station building.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Don't be depressed by it; in fact take heart from the fact that it's less contrived and therefore better. Don't hide it away; develop it and show it off here.

This prompts me to hope RMWeb is seen as a 'broad church', not a bastion only of those who wish to make models as realistic as possible (or, in my case, sulk at being unable to achieve this).  I like the vicarious delight in reading of someone showing off her/his new R.T.R. purchase, and am envious of simple but enjoyable 'roundy roundy' layouts.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, 97406 said:

8 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

A few years back I'd often have to sit at the traffic lights there in morning rush hour; lovely little station building.

And just slightly lower in elevation were Throstles Nest Junction and tunnels - the main line from Central for the Midland and Great Central services off a triangluar junction with the CLC to Liverpool at Trafford Park.  There is still a bit visible - the exit just before the MSJ&A overbridge, but the junction element is now under this:

image.png.c5ccd452870a72c93c98d48c387cdbff.png

Here is an old image of said junction:

image.png.699b7af398092049983742ad71bb20d3.png

The light at the end of the tunnel is now this forest which led to another short tunnel that opened out just before the MSJ&A

image.png.67084490d93ac5b15278d52171068bdd.png

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, C126 said:

This prompts me to hope RMWeb is seen as a 'broad church', not a bastion only of those who wish to make models as realistic as possible (or, in my case, sulk at being unable to achieve this).  I like the vicarious delight in reading of someone showing off her/his new R.T.R. purchase, and am envious of simple but enjoyable 'roundy roundy' layouts.

As this thread shows, it pretty much is.

The comments have been light hearted and taken as such, nobody has (yet) thrown their toys out of the pram, and we're all realising we don't live in the real world when it comes to train sets.

I have one of the previously mentioned issues on Wibdenshaw, and I'm keepin' schtum!

Mike.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

And just slightly lower in elevation were Throstles Nest Junction and tunnels - the main line from Central for the Midland and Great Central services off a triangluar junction with the CLC to Liverpool at Trafford Park.  There is still a bit visible - the exit just before the MSJ&A overbridge, but the junction element is now under this:

image.png.c5ccd452870a72c93c98d48c387cdbff.png

Here is an old image of said junction:

image.png.699b7af398092049983742ad71bb20d3.png

The light at the end of the tunnel is now this forest which led to another short tunnel that opened out just before the MSJ&A

image.png.67084490d93ac5b15278d52171068bdd.png

The CLC certainly liked it's triangles. Loads of them, often used as shunting yards or for goods trains waiting access to the mainline. If you modelled one I reckon you would get people saying it was wrong!

This is one near me, during WWII the triangle was filled with sidings. Unfortunately the map is earlier.

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/features/halewood_triangle/index.shtml#:~:text=The Halewood triangle%2C located to,%26 Lincolnshire Railway (MS%26LR).

Jason

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, C126 said:

Guilty! Cheapo train sets and basic oval layout, battery operation and cardboard bodies. But, I do try to make some semi-serious stuff occasionally! Lately it has been a lot of repairs of friends stuff....but I will return! Ah ha ha ha!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 97406 said:

On the subject of thin plywood over tunnel portals (and apologies if this has been mentioned before in this thread), but…. 

image.jpeg.3ed8db0275ef2a07a086812de6521386.jpeg

Not actually a tunnel in engineering terms. More a long "green bridge" put in place to maintain a view for the then wealth landowners. Even so there's still probably more cover than a thin strip of ply. Oh and no church on top of it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I have one of the previously mentioned issues on Wibdenshaw, and I'm keepin' schtum!

Whaaaaat???!!!??? On Wibdenshaw??? The Wibdenshaw??? 😱😱😱

My world is shaken!!! 🤯🤯🤣🤣🤣

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, AY Mod said:

It's more contrived than a church.

image.png

Then of course there is the RTP tunnel that has absolutely no requirement for one. The track of course aims for the only hill, in an otherwise featureless plain!

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
On 15/04/2023 at 11:46, Invicta said:

..or a university- Tyler Hill Tunnel on the old Canterbury & Whitstable line which passes under the University of Kent site- with predictable results in 1974 when part of the tunnel collapsed, and a part of the university's Cornwallis Building had to be demolished after it subsided by about a metre....

And a part of Heathrow. Can’t remember full details but they were using a then new to UK (IIRC the Austrian) tunnelling method. The stabilising effect didn’t work properly for preventing subsidence impacting what was already above.

• Like 1