Bachmann Summer 2023 speculation

nightstar.train

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Type 2 said:

Why does it matter when things are announced?  Its not going to change your life

I know but it is the daftest thing I've read all weekend.

• Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Type 2 said:

Why does it matter when things are announced?  Its not going to change your life

When you want to watch something on TV do you just guess what time it’s on?

• Funny 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Downer said:

When you want to watch something on TV do you just guess what time it’s on?

You'll know in plenty of time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Type 2 said:

Ah. But some of us like to watch them with a mugga tea at a sensible hour.

Wasn't one of these announcements at something daft like 8AM? Might not have been Bachmann, but who really wants to watch a video at that time of day?

Unfortunately now everyone gets to see them. I preferred it when it was a perk of being in the BCC. it's getting a bit pointless being a member now. Half the exclusive models get sold by third parties at much lower prices anyway. :(

If it wasn't for the quite good magazine I doubt I would bother.

Jason

• Agree 3

On 30/04/2023 at 19:15, Downer said:

No new tooling.  I think several years have passed since Bachmann last announced a new steam loco for their own range. 

When was the last one? Was it the Gresley V2? Even that took a few years from announcement to arrival.

1 minute ago, toby_tl10 said:

When was the last one? Was it the Gresley V2? Even that took a few years from announcement to arrival.

In OO gauge, the Precedent class with Rails and the NRM. Otherwise OO-9 Hunslets end of last year.

17 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

In OO gauge, the Precedent class with Rails and the NRM. Otherwise OO-9 Hunslets end of last year.

No new tooling.  I think several years have passed since Bachmann last announced a new steam loco for their own range

The original poster said own range. Of course if you count narrow gauge it's a different story.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

The V2 was a re-tooled body for a previously-re-tooled chassis, or was it the other way round? I think the last new steam loco in OO was the MR 0-4-4T, and in N the 8F as said earlier.

In all the announcements since the quarterly announcements were first introduced, the only standard gauge items new to the range have been wagons—one of which was the Dance Hall brake van. Every motive power item introduced from "all new tooling" has been something already in the range, and all have been diesel or electric. Only one (class 90) has been N gauge. There have been a number of sound upgrades of recent models, in N at any rate.

There have been quite a number of new narrow gauge releases though.

In general Bachmann's approach is similar to Hornby’s — only they concentrate on big steam rather than diesel and their niche is TT:120 rather than narrow gauge.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

The V2 was a re-tooled body for a previously-re-tooled chassis, or was it the other way round? I think the last new steam loco in OO was the MR 0-4-4T, and in N the 8F as said earlier.

In all the announcements since the quarterly announcements were first introduced, the only standard gauge items new to the range have been wagons—one of which was the Dance Hall brake van. Every motive power item introduced from "all new tooling" has been something already in the range, and all have been diesel or electric. Only one (class 90) has been N gauge. There have been a number of sound upgrades of recent models, in N at any rate.

In general Bachmann's approach is similar to Hornby’s — only they concentrate on big steam rather than diesel and their niche is TT:120 rather than narrow gauge.

A pity if that is the case, because Bachmann had a knack for small black workaday steam types and had by no means finished their trek through the locos of the Midland and GC.  

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Big steam like all those Pecketts, Terriers, H Class, J15, J36, 700, Adams Radial Tank, Rocket, Lion, 08s, Rustons, Sentinels, etc. as well as all those old tooling such as Jinties, Panniers, Pugs, 14XXs,

Another myth I'm afraid. They make more small engines than any one else.

Jason

• Like 1

I doubt there will be any new toolings this time, I suspect they'll keep back any headline new acts for the nearest announcement to the Warley bunfight.

Here's hoping for some nice re-liveries and re-releases of items that sold out quickly. 

PS Bachmann, you misjudged the market for FFA inners badly, seems like more people wanted at least three to one FGA twin pack make up a proper 5 section FGA-FFA rake than you thought.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Big steam like all those Pecketts, Terriers, H Class, J15, J36, 700, Adams Radial Tank, Rocket, Lion, 08s, Rustons, Sentinels, etc. as well as all those old tooling such as Jinties, Panniers, Pugs, 14XXs,

Another myth I'm afraid. They make more small engines than any one else.

Jason

Except modern image and the 1820’s recreations, Ive seen all the rest of that list in the bargain bins at some point too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

I doubt there will be any new toolings this time, I suspect they'll keep back any headline new acts for the nearest announcement to the Warley bunfight.

Here's hoping for some nice re-liveries and re-releases of items that sold out quickly. 

PS Bachmann, you misjudged the market for FFA inners badly, seems like more people wanted at least three to one FGA twin pack make up a proper 5 section FGA-FFA rake than you thought.

I bet there will be some new toolings but they (or even 'it') might not be a locos.  And they've still got a heck of a lot of Brush Type  4/Class 47 variants to get out of the new tooling with various minor changes.  They didn't spend a million quid on that just for the tools to sit on the shelf.

I get the impression - although we haven't yet seen their numbers for 2022 - that they have a closer idea of how the market is changing than Hornby do and no doubt any announcement will reflect that.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

The current V2 isn’t related to any incarnation of the previous version - everything including the DCC friendly chassis is new. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 30/04/2023 at 16:40, Pteremy said:

On the new livery front we have yet to see either the CL117 or CL121 in GrSYP..

Whilst I definitely agree with you on this, I think, iirc, that Cl117 & 121 only carried GrSYP for a very short time towards the end of the 60's before they got repainted into all blue. The other missing livery not mentioned is the short-lived white with blue stripe, which i'm pretty sure no Cl121 ever carried, but a few Cl117 did.

4 minutes ago, Geep7 said:

Whilst I definitely agree with you on this, I think, iirc, that Cl117 & 121 only carried GrSYP for a very short time towards the end of the 60's before they got repainted into all blue. The other missing livery not mentioned is the short-lived white with blue stripe, which i'm pretty sure no Cl121 ever carried, but a few Cl117 did.

GrSYP would have applied approximately 1964-67 - a relatively short period but a popular one from a modelling perspective, and probably not that much shorter duration than for the original release of Lined Green without panels. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Pteremy said:

GrSYP would have applied approximately 1964-67 - a relatively short period but a popular one from a modelling perspective, and probably not that much shorter duration than for the original release of Lined Green without panels. 

That's actually a good point. They probably ended up wearing all blue for about as long as they wore either version of green put together.....

• Agree 1

Apparently Hornby's J36 and Bachmann's 821 seem to have had good sales figures - I was wondering why they don't turn their attention to the indigenous Scottish 4-4-0 classes for example. Plenty of detail and livery options there.

Being a BR Scr modeller myself I can only wish !

(Oh, some LMS Period II gangwayed stock would be very acceptable !)

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 01/05/2023 at 12:44, Steamport Southport said:

Ah. But some of us like to watch them with a mugga tea at a sensible hour.

Wasn't one of these announcements at something daft like 8AM? Might not have been Bachmann, but who really wants to watch a video at that time of day?

Aren't they generally on YouTube? So you can watch them whenever you like?

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Nick C said:

Aren't they generally on YouTube? So you can watch them whenever you like?

Yes, but I want to know before it's all over social media.

I'm afraid I don't like spoilers and I can guarantee that I will start getting emails or alerts telling me to buy XYZ before the announcement is even over.

They used to be live and the only way you could see it was via a link they sent you if you were in the Bachmann Club.

Jason

Just seen on Twitter that LNW have outshopped a Desiro 350 in branding for the Eurovision Song Contest which is coming to Liverpool this month.  Now that is one Rule 1 model I would snap up, not only do I like the Dessies but I'm a bit of a fan of the contest.  It's a colour scheme that is winding up the enthusiasts as well, so multiple wins on a single model.

Bachmann, take my money....

On 01/05/2023 at 00:19, Halvarras said:

I assume you mean Swindon-built Class 42? For sure this fleet, which had the highest profile of the three Warship classes, is deserving of a modern upgrade to match the Class 43 and of course the chassis already exists although the gearing was not exactly optimal and, nice though the inclusion of engine detail visible through the engine room windows may be, the Maybachs probably looked a bit different..... In this day and age a new Class 42 Warship model would have to include the disc headcode variant, although these thirteen differed from the rest in several ways other than the ends (and D866-70 shared their train heating boiler vent arrangement) so I fear that, unlike the Class 43s which were all near-identical, the Class 42 tooling suite would be quite extensive and thus expensive. 

But who knows - it seems everything else is getting upgraded these days and a class of named Type 4s currently represented by an out-of-production basic tooling which can trace its origins back over four decades looks increasingly like an open goal. IMHO anyway 😊.

I'd like to see a re-tooled Class 42,but can't help thinking it would have happened  by now.I don't suppose there are many people who actually remember Warships and still have any rail interest.

Agreed a current-spec model should include disc fitted D800-D812,and as the fabulous Kernow D600 has been produced with discs and route indicators,Bachmann should be able to do likewise,as well as cater for the different train heating boiler roof arrangement.

But,as Halvarras says,with many upgrades and one-off prototype models appearing,a new Class 42 isn't out of the question.An all-over green disc-fitted D804 Avenger would be very acceptable...

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

Just seen on Twitter that LNW have outshopped a Desiro 350 in branding for the Eurovision Song Contest which is coming to Liverpool this month.  Now that is one Rule 1 model I would snap up, not only do I like the Dessies but I'm a bit of a fan of the contest.  It's a colour scheme that is winding up the enthusiasts as well, so multiple wins on a single model.

Bachmann, take my money....

Hasn't RMT voted to go on strike that day . A bit unfortunate !

• Agree 1