RMweb

N Gauge Newton Chambers Car Transporter

Oliver Rails

NEW ANNOUNCEMENT

SonicModels-Newton.jpg.634f6069fbfa9479d668be0bf49f240a.jpg

Sonic Models have today announced their next N gauge model.

The Newton Chambers Car Transporter Triple Packs

Available in both the Eastern Region BR Maroon and BR Motorail Blue/Grey liveries.

cartran.jpg.13fdf0b795693453663f5b3e457ab5ee.jpg

There are six packs available to pre-order in total, three in BR maroon and three in BR Blue/Grey. Each car in each pack features a unique running number.

Other features include:

Fully detailed prototypical bodies including original and later style roof sky lights

NEM Couplings combined with a kinematic close coupling system

Ends with buffer beam original detail and later ETH equipment

Correct size RP 25 profile bogie wheels

Livery schemes for BR Maroon and BR Blue Grey

Models supplied in sets of three in a bespoke box

The packs are available to pre-order exclusively from Rails of Sheffield.

PRE-ORDER HERE

Each triple pack is priced at just £124.95

You can pre-order now with a £25 deposit.

The models are currently in production and delivery is expected late 2023.

History

Originally designated as TCVs, the vehicles later became NVV (vacuum braked) and NVX (dual braked) under BR’s TOPS computer system. Unusually, they featured a hydraulically operated central well capable of storing two cars as well as four cars on the upper deck – a 50% increase in capacity over more conventional car carrying vehicles of the time.

When introduced in the early-1960s, the TCV car transporters were used between London, York and Edinburgh in sets of five or six vehicles with a handful of BR maroon Mk1 coaches, hauled by ex-LNER ‘Pacifics’ and later BR green ‘Deltics’, Class 40s, 45s, 46s or 47s. From the late-1960s onwards, they were painted in BR blue/grey and started to venture further afield on ‘Motorail’ services from London and northern England to the West of England, being hauled by Class 45s, 46s, 47s and ‘Westerns’. However, they were closely associated with the East Coast Main Line throughout their career.

Edited by Oliver Rails
Word correction
  • Like 7
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

A recent Rails email announces that Sonic are to produce the Newton Chambers car carriers in N Gauge.

Available in packs of three in both maroon and blue/grey.

Personally, I'm over the moon and will take six for the Anglo-Scottish Car Carrier, Perth-King's Cross (Holloway).

Best

Scott.

https://railsofsheffield.com/collections/n-gauge-newton-chambers-car-transporter-packs?_kx=1RgHMA349RmAJbMizFDUkFyJe-UtY-HWSm0EEmXyWfhEPZ_JhpQgMZoANxhBTgyY.RXkVMS&utm_campaign=Sonic Car Carrier&utm_id=01GZ0TPPKY2ARQTC12BN7XV33S&utm_medium=campaign&utm_source=Klaviyo

Edited by scottystitch
  • Like 1

• scottystitch changed the title to Sonic announce Newton Chambers TCV Anglo-Scottish Car Carriers in N gauge!
22 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

They're doing this through Sonic, whereas the OO versions are by Heljan, which must mean the research and CAD effor have been duplicated.   I wonder which scale will produce the better model.

N - get the shape and major details right and you are onto a winner.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

They're doing this through Sonic, whereas the OO versions are by Heljan, which must mean the research and CAD effor have been duplicated.

Why? I don't see the correlation?

Wow, this is wonderful news! A few years ago I posted some detailed Flickr pictures of these vehicles on the Motorail thread in the vain hope that it might inspire Rapido/Revolution to make N gauge models of them, but I never imagined that it would end up being Sonic/Rails that produced them! Plus as a bonus they are quite reasonably priced for what is essentially quite a niche item.

Edited by montyburns56
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Padishar Creel said:

Love this. 

Anyone out there know a typical formation late 70s early 80s for the BlueGrey versions? Was not too successful searching in Flickr and the MR article on motorail only shows a 60s formation, no further hints 

es grüßt

pc 

"Generally" a pair of them with a GUV when attached to passenger services, which makes the decision to sell in triple packs strange to me, twin packs would have seen more appropriate ?.

There were other formations but from memory & consultation of the appropriate carriage workings, most were in pairs.

Edited by Scott B
  • Agree 1

55 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

Plenty of discussion about prototype formations in the thread for the Heljan OO equivalent:-

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/175718-Heljan-oo-newton-chambers-car-transporter/

Thanks, if I understand the coaching numbering system, and going to another thread from the thread you quoted,  BG, MK3 Sleepers, BG, GUV, NVX, NVX is possible as well.

es grüßt

pc 

Edited by Padishar Creel
Changed TOPS code

• RMweb Premium

A couple of photos I have with the NC car carriers….they also occasionally worked to Olympia. I have two completed Etched pixels kits and two more to do. I will be ordering a pack of these…maybe two. The two completed ones will be at the NGS NRM York show on Kensington Olympia.

https://andygibbs.zenfolio.com/p234657234/e5cbdfebc

https://andygibbs.zenfolio.com/p234657234/e2239ea6e

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Scott B said:

"Generally" a pair of them with a GUV when attached to passenger services, which makes the decision to sell in triple packs strange to me, twin packs would have seen more appropriate ?.

There were other formations but from memory & consultation of the appropriate carriage workings, most were in pairs.

Thanks for the reply, it is the coaching stock used with them I would like to know more about.

es grüßt

pc 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, acg5324 said:

A couple of photos I have with the NC car carriers….they also occasionally worked to Olympia. I have two completed Etched pixels kits and two more to do. I will be ordering a pack of these…maybe two. The two completed ones will be at the NGS NRM York show on Kensington Olympia.

https://andygibbs.zenfolio.com/p234657234/e5cbdfebc

https://andygibbs.zenfolio.com/p234657234/e2239ea6e

1E01 was TThSo 13.25 Newton Abbot - Sheffield

They were only diagrammed into Olympia for the 1969 timetable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Padishar Creel said:

Thanks for the reply, it is the coaching stock used with them I would like to know more about.

es grüßt

pc 

Mk1 FKs plus a BFK or BSK or BSO.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, stovepipe said:

1E01 was TThSo 13.25 Newton Abbot - Sheffield

They were only diagrammed into Olympia for the 1969 timetable.

Thanks for the correction, yes I knew they worked to Olympia for just one season….but in this case rule 1 will apply.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I model 1987-1994, so these are really before my chosen period.  But I really like them.  I noticed a comment on a Flickr photo that the last 2 were withdrawn in 1988.....

I take it they were not in general use in the last years of their life?

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Padishar Creel said:

So the same as if the service was using carflats? Nice, have FKs and a CJM MK2 BFK

Thanks

es grüßt

pc 

Yes the same.

• RMweb Premium

The Rail Express article (June '04) lists the following:

D9021 (cl 55) + 6x TCV, Mk1 GK, 2xSK, BSK (blue/maroon mix) Perth to London Holloway, 08.68)

D1527 5xTCV, Mk1 FK, RBR, 2xSK, BSK (Holloway to Edinburgh 08.66)

If running a shorter train, passengers from each car were allocated a compartment to themselves. One FK equals seven cars.

The Newton Chambers vans initially carried six, but were later downgraded to four as the lower deck was taken out of use following several accidents.

Steven B

• Informative/Useful 3

• 7 months later...