Bachmann Autumn 2023 announcements

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Owners of one or more of those lovely LSWR-liveried engines that have appeared over the last decade or so will no doubt be very happy.

Puzzled: where's the LSWR van in the above?

Currently available, I can think only of the OO Works Adams Jubilee.A long time back there’s Hornby’s rather garish revamped T9. Other than that,I haven’t a clue. Help ,someone….The set is admittedly eye catching,if a tad expensive but that’s the way of the world 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Currently available, I can think only of the OO Works Adams Jubilee.A long time back there’s Hornby’s rather garish revamped T9. Other than that,I haven’t a clue. Help ,someone….The set is admittedly eye catching,if a tad expensive but that’s the way of the world 

Hornby's M7 has been done in LSWR livery, I thought? It is that and the T9 I had in mind. I was saying that those already possessing these models would welcome the new carriages.

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

It is possibly a strategy. Do the more niche 4-TEP and 3-CEP first.

Yes possibly, I've heard that before.  We never got a middle coach for the Thumper though.  If they released a 4CEP in SWT livery I would buy it, and I wouldn't even complain about the price!  As it stands I won't be buying a 3CEP.

Rick

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Andy.  

Very well presented vidw eo I thought although Richard H. clearly is very up on Caerdydd pronunciation - it's Cat-aze not Caffaze but that's a minor thing during what was a really professionally put together show.

Overall it was very interesting and at least one item should finally lay to rest all the baloney we've had on here about who designs some new tooling EFE models - it's Kernow/Muz.   All a bit Southern for my taste but that LSWR coaching set does look rather spiffing and there will presumably one day be some motive power to go with all this LSWR stuff?  I can but hope that next time round EFE's interest in the West Country will swing towards the other Railway in that part of the wold - pretty please.

The other interesting thing was the number and range of new Graham Farish trainsets.  Almost looks as if Bachmann/GF are prepared to take on the smaller scale trainset market - but they'll surely need to get  the pricing right.

The Consett 9Fs look rather good (although not for me of course) and a show of faith in SR EMUs.  Just a bit of emphasis on the S&DJt with buildings as well could be a bit of pitch rolling for some reintroduced/new motive power perhaps?

In summary - and I have to say it - nothing in it for me this time round but my son will no doubt make up fpr that with the Class 90s!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Rick_Skateboard said:

a 4CEP in SWT livery

No thanks. The unit that always made me late. Reading line trains in my commuting days, second half of the 90s, were usually made up of a pair of 4VEPs, which would run to time. Occasionally a 4CEP was substitued for one of the 4VEPs; on seeing that on platform 4A I knew I would be seeing the Kingston loop train drawing out of Twickenham as my train rolled in late...

Not enough doors.

• Funny 1

I'm not really sure what EFE Rail is and how it differs from Bachmann but there's some good stuff there.

What cross country routes did the LSWR sets run on?  Anyone know where that info is?

My wallet will be empty!

Edited by MonsalDale
Grammar and spelling!
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Thanks Andy.  

Very well presented vidw eo I thought although Richard H. clearly is very up on Caerdydd pronunciation - it's Cat-aze not Caffaze but that's a minor thing during what was a really professionally put together show.

Overall it was very interesting and at least one item should finally lay to rest all the baloney we've had on here about who designs some new tooling EFE models - it's Kernow/Muz.   All a bit Southern for my taste but that LSWR coaching set does look rather spiffing and there will presumably one day be some motive power to go with all this LSWR stuff?  I can but hope that next time round EFE's interest in the West Country will swing towards the other Railway in that part of the wold - pretty please.

The other interesting thing was the number and range of new Graham Farish trainsets.  Almost looks as if Bachmann/GF are prepared to take on the smaller scale trainset market - but they'll surely need to get  the pricing right.

The Consett 9Fs look rather good (although not for me of course) and a show of faith in SR EMUs.  Just a bit of emphasis on the S&DJt with buildings as well could be a bit of pitch rolling for some reintroduced/new motive power perhaps?

In summary - and I have to say it - nothing in it for me this time round but my son will no doubt make up fpr that with the Class 90s!

That include designing the EFE class 143 / 144's?

Nothing really in there for me for the time period/region I’m currently modelling, however the SWT CEP is very very nice and reminds me of spotting at Clapham when I was young. Don’t usually comment on price as I accept to some extent that’s the way of the world, but £570 for a sound-fitted three-car EMU is absolutely eye-watering. Would definitely consider a sentimental impulse purchase (to potentially partner a Hornby VEP), but it’ll have to be in the bargain bin. 

I can see the Burnham train shed being very popular, and I like the Road Van. I assume BR examples travelled everywhere but would need to see a photo or two to make me take the plunge and add to my wagon roster! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Hornby's M7 has been done in LSWR livery, I thought? It is that and the T9 I had in mind. I was saying that those already possessing these models would welcome the new carriages.

The T9 is in BR era livery. It was never genuine LSWR with the extended smokebox with superheater. 30120 was saved instead of Royal Engine 30119 which was in poor condition.

That's why it's usually in BR Black.

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/30120-lswr-120-sr-e120-sr-120-br-30120/

Want something to run behind the LSWR T9? Buy some Mark Ones!

Jason

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Yes of course ,understood. But thinking about it,there’s really not a lot r-t-r LSWR available.Hornby’s T9 isn’t quite frankly the best of models  & is subject to fragility….to say the least. Certainly a gap in the market for  something Adams or Drummond perhaps ?  I have an OO Works Jubilee which is delightful but it’s in Southern livery and for those who require it isn’t dcc compatible in any case.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Indeed Hornby M7 (as preserved) and 488 Adams radial (also preserved). There is also the T3 which might eventually appear in RTR.

I will run the set in either a preserved setting (even if only vehicle actually is) and a visiter to the SECR.

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, NXEA! said:

Nothing really in there for me for the time period/region I’m currently modelling, however the SWT CEP is very very nice and reminds me of spotting at Clapham when I was young. Don’t usually comment on price as I accept to some extent that’s the way of the world, but £570 for a sound-fitted three-car EMU is absolutely eye-watering. Would definitely consider a sentimental impulse purchase (to potentially partner a Hornby VEP), but it’ll have to be in the bargain bin. 

I do wonder if this is a "test the water" release to see how high a price the market will pay, before releasing a 4-Cep. I'm of the same camp as you, and don't usually comment on prices, but I reluctantly have to agree.

I'm still waiting on a BR Blue Class 117 and 2-Hap. I wonder if these may appear at some point as EFE Rail models instead? 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Thanks Andy.  

KMRC are not the sole source for EFE Rail tooling, but is in the case of the four models I discussed during the video.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Ian Hargrave said:

Yes of course ,understood. But thinking about it,there’s really not a lot r-t-r LSWR available.

But you can say that for RTR of any pre-grouping company*, so the argument applies to any new model of a pre-grouping item.

*excepting, perhaps, the SECR, which has the bonus of being two for the price of one.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Not really being a DCC or sound person, I'm intrigued by the idea of a sound-fitted multiple unit. Does the sound file include the noise of the slamming shut of the doors? I'm sure there must be scope for all sorts of passenger-related noises.

When are we going to see (or hear) DCC sound-fitted cattle wagons?

• Funny 3

2 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Not really being a DCC or sound person, I'm intrigued by the idea of a sound-fitted multiple unit. Does the sound file include the noise of the slamming shut of the doors? I'm sure there must be scope for all sorts of passenger-related noises.

When are we going to see (or hear) DCC sound-fitted cattle wagons?

Doors slamming, yes. Also such things as air generators, brakes, squeals, etc.

DCC sound does work with diesels and electrics, I'm not quite as convinced with steam, although some seem to get it right.

Jason

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

DCC sound does work with diesels and electrics, I'm not quite as convinced with steam, although some seem to get it right.

I was rather impressed with one sound-fitted steam engine, until I noticed that it was emitting five chuffs for each revolution of the wheels.

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I was rather impressed with one sound-fitted steam engine, until I noticed that it was emitting five chuffs for each revolution of the wheels.

It’s generally possible to adjust that and fine tune a decoder to match pretty well with the wheel revolutions. But that needs the user to fiddle it, the factory settings don’t usually match. 

• Informative/Useful 1

7 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

The Tyne Dock 9F was indeed a surprise to me, considering Hornby are shortly about to release the same variant!

Does that count as copying/gazumping or does that only apply when it's Hornby that announce their version second?

Quite like the 009 collector club wagon so that may well be a join there

Favouring industrial locos these days not too much I'd like loco wise (other than the 14s but I don't do N) but again I'm taken with a Bachmann 50's/60's ish building, I like those shunters huts

I like the moving mountains set, mainly because it's nice to see a set with a decent number of wagons in it

Not convinced by the finish on the teak coaches, but all in all a nice range of stuff

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, MonsalDale said:

I'm not really sure what EFE Rail is and how it differs from Bachmann but there's some good stuff there.

Hi,

As has been explained before, EFE Rail is simply a brand within the Bachmann group that allows models developed by 3rd party suppliers, in this case KMRC, to be brought to a wider selection of retail outlets that would otherwise not be able to stock them. It is also a way of increasing Bachmann's ouput without the need to use the main Kader Factory, which any models in the Bachmann Branchline brand are obligated to use.

Simon 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Hi All,

I am double-checking this to make sure but I believe that the Dinorwic Slate Wagon model is based at least partly on measurements taken from a wagon I (re-) built for the Bala Lake Railway. I have attached below a picture of the prototype under (re-) construction in my garage in Norfolk (mocked-up but not yet bolted together).

I brought the solebar timbers back from Wales with me by putting the front seat of my Fabia into 'gangster-lean' mode... The majority of the other timber came from the sawmill at Sandringham. Having built or refurbished all the components, I broke the wagon down into parts and loaded them into a hired van, half an hour before Mr. Johnson announced the first lockdown.... Anyway, the wagon is now at Bala, but is currently waiting for attention to one of its bearings (the one thing which wasn't my job!) so is 'out of service'. 

Anyway, I can vouch for the prototype being exactly the right size, at least...

I did get into trouble for spelling wagon with one 'g', not two, in certain circles. I am willing to be corrected on the rest of this sentence, but as far as I can tell, by the time this type of wagon was introduced at Dinorwic (1880's - ish*), they had standardised on the single-'g' spelling in their English documents. However, some people prefer the Victorian spelling for all slate quarry vehicles, especially those who belong to big railways which, unlike the BLR, can afford a luxurious second 'g', and indeed, insist upon it...

[*Before this, Dinorwic seem to have used waggons with dumb buffers, not unlike the Talyllyn type, to carry finished slates - or am I wrong?]

Anyway, I'm really sending this just so I can get in yet another shameless plug for the Bala Lake Railway Model Show on 16th and 17th September - sorry!

Mat P. (Bala Model Show Organiser, Bala Society Secretary and occasional Restorer of Wagons) 

DSC06997.JPG

Edited by MatP
  • Like 8