Bachmann Autumn 2023 announcements

AY Mod

2 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Unfortunately,doing so will invalidate the warranty on the A12. Should I decide to buy,I think I’d run the set with my A12 in Southern livery using the same logic as you are contemplating with a T9 .Hornby’s T9 hasn’t appeared for quite a number of years so it’s maybe time that a new version to current standards appeared as it would seemingly be a locomotive of choice for this set.

Last run of Hornby T9s was about a year or two ago.

No Mazak rot and has the improved motor mount.

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/lswr-class-t9-4-4-0-120-era-5-r3863?yoReviewsPage=2&gclid=CjwKCAjw_aemBhBLEiwAT98FMgm-Lj5RfKgJysTMMwc6KbXyetniV8b7HziiEuQ9vnF7sJt_BUpLbRoCpTQQAvD_BwE

Some still left if you look around. But this is pure 1960s condition. Just needs Caledonian 123 to go with it.

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/66899/R3863-Hornby-Class-T9-4-4-0-Steam-Locomotive-number-120-LSWR

No use if you are being strict though. Only a handful had the extended smokeboxes in LSWR days and they were all wide cab/splasher versions.

https://sremg.org.uk/steam/t9class.shtml

Jason

My two pence. Nothing in there for me, and I am not moaning! 

interesting to see several more 158’s being pumped out, seen a fair few over the last year - however the northern livery was over due. 

MK2F’s ? Have Bachmann forgotten that they have the tooling for this? Blue / Grey offerings are going for silly money, Scotrail DBSO the same. Still waiting for some Anglia stock to go with the DBSO released? 

Feel like the 47’s have been forgotten about too, I can’t be the only one to be wanting a West Coast 47 in the new tooling? 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Mr chapman said:

Surely a T3 is due shortly from someone or another. 

My thoughts exactly.  Now that there is this collaboration between Bachmann and Locomotion, they should (or possibly have) send someone to the Swanage Railway to measure it up.  It is in the "National Collection" so it seems a natural choice for the two aforementioned groups to make one.  Three or four versions are possible, I think,  - Adams pea-green livery with stovepipe chimney,  Drummond green livery with his chimney, and then Southern olive green livery.  Were any painted black? . I will have to check my boooks to check.

We have two SECR classes - D and D1; we have two LBSCR classes- H1  and H2. so why not two LSWR classes - T3 or T9.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have to agree with earlier comments about the Tyne Dock 9Fs. I know they did look rather grubby, but the factory weathering has all the hallmarks of 'factory weathering', and just too much. It's easier for customer to add to a lightly weathered version, or preferably offer a pristine version. Perhaps it is not too late for Bachmann to change the specification, after all, I doubt if the factory weathering has been applied yet. I may well write to them to make such a suggestion?

I have just sent a request to Bachmann Europe for a pristine sound version. 

Edited by zr2498
Note sent to Bachmann Europe added
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, GeoffBird said:

My thoughts exactly.  Now that there is this collaboration between Bachmann and Locomotion, they should (or possibly have) send someone to the Swanage Railway to measure it up.  It is in the "National Collection" so it seems a natural choice for the two aforementioned groups to make one.  Three or four versions are possible, I think,  - Adams pea-green livery with stovepipe chimney,  Drummond green livery with his chimney, and then Southern olive green livery.  Were any painted black? . I will have to check my boooks to check.

We have two SECR classes - D and D1; we have two LBSCR classes- H1  and H2. so why not two LSWR classes - T3 or T9.

I can see where you’re going with your thinking but the whole point of Swanage having the T3 is because it has been de-accessioned and *given* to the Swanage Railway, not loaned.

It is *not* any longer part of the national collection so AIUI it would have to be a Swanage collaboration with Bachmann and Locomotion would be irrelevant 

Edited by Helmdon
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Helmdon said:

I can see where you’re going with your thinking but the whole point of Swanage having the T3 is because it has been de-accessioned and *given* to the Swanage Railway, not loaned.

It is *not* any longer part of the national collection so AIUI it would have to be a Swanage collaboration with Bachmann and Locomotion would be irrelevant 

Collection X ! 

😆

The Ex Locomotion Collection 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Mr chapman said:

The CEP/TEP is madness. That you are going to tool up a refurbished unit and not actually release a 4CEP people have been asking for for years is crazy to me. Here's almost want you want... That will be £550 please! Jaffa cake 4CEP? Why yes sir! Coming in 2025 sir, for a mere £700.

I think the theory is that they release the less popular models first . People so desperate for a CEP, theyll  buy the only ones available a 3-CEP or 4-TEP, then of course next year when the main variant comes along they think oh we will have that one too- I must have the main variants. It doesn’t work so well in reverse! 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Helmdon said:

Wouldn’t that be more likely to be Dapol though? Just thinking they’ve already done a 4-4-0 for the National,Collection - is it a “D” .  

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, Mr chapman said:

The CEP/TEP is madness. That you are going to tool up a refurbished unit and not actually release a 4CEP people have been asking for for years is crazy to me. Here's almost want you want... That will be £550 please! Jaffa cake 4CEP? Why yes sir! Coming in 2025 sir, for a mere £700.

Because this allows them to get a minimum viable product to market more quickly AND cover that niche.  As it stands, two new body toolings rather than 3/4...

I'm almost wondering that this might let them tap another niche version sooner rather than later - 7152/1500... As I understand it they would "just" need to produce original style windows for the new tooling, reuse the body and windows from the TSK with a new interior (and roof?) that they'd need anyway.  And 1500 was later reduced to 3 cars anyway :)

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Legend said:

I think the theory is that they release the less popular models first . People so desperate for a CEP, theyll  buy the only ones available a 3-CEP or 4-TEP, then of course next year when the main variant comes along they think oh we will have that one too- I must have the main variants. It doesn’t work so well in reverse! 

Agree, although I'd pay £250 each for two 4 CEP's over a few months but I'm not paying £589 for one ever, they need to sell these priced as a loco and three mk1's..

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, 33212 said:

Agree, although I'd pay £250 each for two 4 CEP's over a few months but I'm not paying £589 for one ever, they need to sell these priced as a loco and three mk1's..

But theses coaches aren’t mk1’s they are more limited in their variation and use so they can’t recoup the tooling costs in the same way as a mk1. They might sell thousands of each type of mk1, at a conservative guess four or five times more of each tooling than these mouldings unique to the CEP so those costs have to be covered in less models. 

• Agree 4

2 hours ago, WCML100 said:

interesting to see several more 158’s being pumped out, seen a fair few over the last year - however the northern livery was over due. 

I think the ones they have done recently will do well, including the ones from Spring I think it was. The 158 is a staple of the last 30 years almost anywhere in the UK.

Scotrail DBSO the same

The DBSO to go with 47712 would do well, although it runs with mk3s which Bachmann don't do.

I can’t be the only one to be wanting a West Coast 47 in the new tooling? 

1 hour ago, jools1959 said:

I was hoping for a WCRC Class 47/7 or 47/8 given the new tooling.  It must be high on a lot of people’s wish lists 

I think it's only a matter of time. The Bachmann mk2 is here, the mk1s in December IIRC, and then 4 other mk2s from AS are due before long too. There'll be plenty of coaches for them to pull.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, WCML100 said:

My two pence. Nothing in there for me, and I am not moaning! 

MK2F’s ? Have Bachmann forgotten that they have the tooling for this? Blue / Grey offerings are going for silly money, Scotrail DBSO the same. Still waiting for some Anglia stock to go with the DBSO released? 

Feel like the 47’s have been forgotten about too, I can’t be the only one to be wanting a West Coast 47 in the new tooling? 

I’m worried thats DBSO success maybe influencing mk2f pricing in China, afterall whats the difference to the coalface… its a just another coach with lighting and dcc or worse.. a loco without a c£5 motor.

The CEP is priced at 3x DBSOs, the TEP is the price of 4 DBSOs.

And an EMU is basically made up of Mark1’s.

Class 37 is the competitive arena at the moment, i’m sure once that settles and Heljans 47 arrives, we will be indulged.

as no one else has said it I will… i bet the 422/7 gets a TEP-id response.

I’ll get my coat.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, micklner said:

It would have been a better seller unweathered.

Pretty much sums up my opinion of weathered releases in general to be honest.

My view....

Appeals to:

Those who want weathering on a budget but don't want to do it themselves

Won't be bought by:

Those who want pristine

Those who want to weather it themselves

Those who want to pay a premium to have it done well

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Pretty much sums up my opinion of weathered releases in general to be honest.

My view....

Appeals to:

Those who want weathering on a budget but don't want to do it themselves

Won't be bought by:

Those who want pristine

Those who want to weather it themselves

Those who want to pay a premium to have it done well

As we saw with the GWR 143… pristine can follow later.

26 minutes ago, Philip Jackson said:

Nothing there for me. However how do they justify the prices of a class 37 compared to the same from accurascale?

26 minutes ago, Philip Jackson said:

Nothing there for me. However how do they justify the prices of a class 37 compared to the same from accurascale?

There are a lot of factors behind pricing from manufacturers. One which effects Bachmann is the all models are sold via retailers ( many of the cheaper smaller manufacturers started direct sales only) no retailer margin really brings down the price. Secondly the margin where sold to retailer, let's just say this varies quite a bit and many newer manufacturers the margins are smaller hence no discounts from retailers. You'd be surprised how much closer in price most models are with vat and margins removed. Finally size Bachmann are a large company not just model railways in the UK but also kits and toys so large facilities for stock etc. I know as a consumer this just look like one much cheaper than the other but it's definitely not as black and white as it seems.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Philip Jackson said:

This . .

15 minutes ago, shunny said:

I know as a consumer this just look like one much cheaper than the other but it's definitely not as black and white as it seems.

plus Accurascale apparently have the resources to be very competitive in their pricing as they establish in the market. Smaller business without overseas overseers allows you to be far more nimble on such things too. 
At the end of the day you can wait and hope for the alternative makers version but ultimately it’s a decision on want vs perceived value and Bachmann are obviously shifting them ok to be doing more. 
Personally I’m not bothered by the fan & fairy liquid windscreens top spec but the intermediate version in the right spec isn’t much different so I’m watching both manufacturers announcements on the 37’s 😉

2 hours ago, Helmdon said:

I thought that was the point of the "Rail Icons" brand so they weren't tied to the national collection any more...

Almost prefect for LSWR 563

Queue Hornby decide to expand their so successful "Trains on film" series to being "Trains on Stage" and rush to production the T3 in its starring role in the Railway Children at King's Cross... (they wouldn't need to develop a drive train as it could just be pushed onto set)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, drnick said:

I thought that was the point of the "Rail Icons" brand so they weren't tied to the national collection any more...

Almost prefect for LSWR 563

Queue Hornby decide to expand their so successful "Trains on film" series to being "Trains on Stage" and rush to production the T3 in its starring role in the Railway Children at King's Cross... (they wouldn't need to develop a drive train as it could just be pushed onto set)

Ah, so thats what this meant.

The new Railway Icons brand allows us to produce models both within and outside of the National Collection that we are confident will be of interest to both modellers and collectors.

a range for deaccessioned stuff ?

😃

• Like 1