Bachmann Autumn 2023 announcements

AY Mod

The Bachmann website is still running like treacle.

Release dates that I managed to get from the website:

3CEP & 4TEP - Oct/Nov

158 - Central Trains Aug/Sep, Transport For Wales Nov/Dec, all others Oct/Nov

9F - Aug/Sep

Suburban Mk1 - Aug/Sep

37 - Aug/Sep

Dinorwic Quarry Wagons - Oct/Nov

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Bachmann's 9F has been around since the only ones Hornby made had tender drive.

If anyone is "going head to head" on them, it's Hornby. 

Bachmann don't make juvenile claims about models being "theirs", though....

I don’t have a preference for one manufacturer over the other but I think Hornby thought that the market could sustain a more up-to-date and refined version of a famous prototype. 

Bachmann appear to have taken a leaf out of Hornby’s book IMO - they’ve had years to upgrade the tooling/spec and do Tyne Dock versions which they haven’t, they’ve sat on it. Hornby rock up with their new version including a Tyne Dock variant and only then do they decide to upgrade the speaker interface and release a Tyne Dock version in the next few months, at an RRP a smidge under Hornby’s - not unlike the Generic coaches and 66’s which Hornby flooded the market with quickly. As said, I have no problem with those tactics as it only benefits the customer, just highlighting it. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, davidw said:

Because the Bachmann versions are priced far more cheaply perhaps.....

Bachmann Mk1 Sub   £34.95 or £29.7 (retailer)

Accurascale Mk1 Sub   £64.95 or £58.46 (multiple purchase)

In comparison,

Bachmann Tyne Dock 9F   £249.95 or £212.45 (retailer)

Hornby Tyne Dock 9F   £252.99 or £227.69 (retailer)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, toby_tl10 said:

Bachmann Mk1 Sub   £34.95 or £29.7 (retailer)

Accurascale Mk1 Sub   £64.95 or £58.46 (multiple purchase)

At that price nothing wrong with the Bachmann, it won't stop people who want the extra detail from buying the Accurascale ones.  I doubt anyone who has ordered an Accurascale version will be wishing they'd spent less, they know what they are getting for the price and will likely be happy with that.

• Like 2
  • Agree 9

3 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Currently available, I can think , bothe coloujrs seem incorrect to me whilkst the Jubilede 0-4-2 seem much closer to the real colour.  nly of the OO Works Adams Jubilee.A long time back there’s Hornby’s rather garish revamped T9. Other than that,I haven’t a clue. Help ,someone….The set is admittedly eye catching,if a tad expensive but that’s the way of the world 

I have spoken to one of the firms in the UK to retro-fit DCC and sound to earlier models and they have told me that they would be able to fit DCC and sound to the 00 Works Jubilee.  The other option is to get hold of one of the early T9s to be superheated (e.g. 120)  and run that with the LSWR stock on the grounds that the carriages would not have been repainted by 1924.   I dont like the colour of the Hornby LSWR T9s , either version, and will tick with my A12 which I been toild is reasonably (as far as anyone can say nowadays) correct.

• RMweb Premium

Class 37 Rail Freight for me. Ta very much.

I was bracing myself for more 47's off that expensive tooling outlay but there's been nothing much after the initial launch. Have they forgotten they've got the tooling. Strange.

Good to see the Dinorwic wagons to compliment the Quarry Hunslets. I was looking at some kits a few weeks ago, but with limited time on my hands the RTR version has won the day.

Edited by didcot

With the Tyne Dock 9F presumably being a newly tooled body (they've never mentioned it in their tooling back before as far as I'm aware), has the chassis been modified to correct the hitherto now incorrect wheel spacing that 'the other company' got right?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, GeoffBird said:

I have spoken to one of the firms in the UK to retro-fit DCC and sound to earlier models and they have told me that they would be able to fit DCC and sound to the 00 Works Jubilee.  The other option is to get hold of one of the early T9s to be superheated (e.g. 120)  and run that with the LSWR stock on the grounds that the carriages would not have been repainted by 1924.   I dont like the colour of the Hornby LSWR T9s , either version, and will tick with my A12 which I been toild is reasonably (as far as anyone can say nowadays) correct.

Unfortunately,doing so will invalidate the warranty on the A12. Should I decide to buy,I think I’d run the set with my A12 in Southern livery using the same logic as you are contemplating with a T9 .Hornby’s T9 hasn’t appeared for quite a number of years so it’s maybe time that a new version to current standards appeared as it would seemingly be a locomotive of choice for this set.

7 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Unfortunately,doing so will invalidate the warranty on the A12. Should I decide to buy,I think I’d run the set with my A12 in Southern livery using the same logic as you are contemplating with a T9 .Hornby’s T9 hasn’t appeared for quite a number of years so it’s maybe time that a new version to current standards appeared as it would seemingly be a locomotive of choice for this set.

Surely a T3 is due shortly from someone or another. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

The CEP/TEP is madness. That you are going to tool up a refurbished unit and not actually release a 4CEP people have been asking for for years is crazy to me. Here's almost want you want... That will be £550 please! Jaffa cake 4CEP? Why yes sir! Coming in 2025 sir, for a mere £700.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Congratulations to Bachmann on the announcement of the 3 CEP.

Within The 00 Wishlist Poll 2022, we listed: Class 411 3 CEP & 4 CEP Refurbished and that came in Middle Polling. I have made a note on the 2024 Draft to discuss what we list for Class 411 that year.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Norski said:

Class 37 Rail Freight for me. Ta very much.

I was bracing myself for more 47's off that expensive tooling outlay but there's been nothing much after the initial launch. Have they forgotten they've got the tooling. Strange.

The 47 tooling will always be there but the 37 tooling has a window of opportunity until Accurascale can start to satisfy demand both in terms of numbers and types produced. Furthermore, there is a finite number of sound chips currently so they are probably having to be savvy with which products get them and it currently makes more sense to put those in a 37 than 47. They can then start ticking over with both tooling suites as they please after this is reached in the next year or two.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

25 minutes ago, Mr chapman said:

The CEP/TEP is madness. That you are going to tool up a refurbished unit and not actually release a 4CEP people have been asking for for years is crazy to me. Here's almost want you want... That will be £550 please! Jaffa cake 4CEP? Why yes sir! Coming in 2025 sir, for a mere £700.

Always save the best till last...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Except that relatively recently the LNWR has models of the Coal Tank and Precedent,the GCR has the Director,A 5 etc.,the GNR has the Ivatt Atlantic,there’s a Lanky tank and just now Bachmann have produced a rather good NER tank and of course the LBSC Atlantic. 

But where do you see appropriate RTR rolling stock to go with them?

6 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I suspect though Mr Muz may be more akin to knowing to how to link items together.

Efe LSWR liver coaches, LSWR livery wagons (with more variations to come) and access to an employer and partner organisation who are looking for new niche models to sell to afficienados of the Southwest.

Methinks Kernow have something or two up their sleeve to announce.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Hattons Genesis and Hornby’s freelance pre group stock will suffice.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Four and six-wheelers behind a GNR or LBSCR Atlantic, or a GCR Director?

Yep why not?

Enthusiasts will go and buy GNR/LBSCR/GCR coloured coaches to go behind their locomotives. That’s exactly why those ranges were developed, and why they’ve been so popular.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Refurbished CEP is good news, I have 5x of the original un-refurbished ones, was thinking of ebaying them when they announce refurbished 4-CEP maybe summer 2024/Autumn 2024, however at £589 for the TEP, they'll be the same, thats way too much for a casual purchase, my 5 cost me £89.00 each! Pity, looks like a good model and no doubt will look awesome in the various liveries that are now possible, blue grey, Jaffa plain, Jaffa black piping, NSE, Connex, 1592 green and SWT - are they trying to recoup development costs in year 1 for a model that will have an indefinite life span? 

• Agree 3

The market doesnt really need more 37s right now if we're honest with ourselves.....staggered still no Mk2f coaches released.....

Words fail me as they are a staple.

I wonder how many peoples rakes are on hold as they didnt snap up loads during the first run god knows how many years ago it was now.......

Its bah humbug from me Bachmann no matter how good 37 260 looks......

On the farish front though have to say the moving mountains trainset looks ace with the loco and 6 wagons!

Edited by ThaneofFife
Added comments
  • Agree 2