Bachmann Autumn 2023 announcements

AY Mod

On 05/08/2023 at 14:04, adb968008 said:

History unfortunately runs against Bachmann Southern units in that regard… no centre cars for the EPB, 205 have ever yet appeared, a 4REP seems tantalisingly just out of reach too.

While I generally agree, there were only ever 15 4-REPs and 34 class 205s (and not all were 3H at some point). At the same time they have done 4-TEP (only 4 units and short lived) and 3-CEPs, approx 20 units used in the very last years only.

However there were some 120 refurbished 4-CEPs, in a wide range of liveries covering a large area. Particularly the popular NSE livery which never appeared in 3-CEP form.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, JSpencer said:

While I generally agree, there were only ever 15 4-REPs and 34 class 205s (and not all were 3H at some point). At the same time they have done 4-TEP (only 4 units and short lived) and 3-CEPs, approx 20 units used in the very last years only.

However there were some 120 refurbished 4-CEPs, in a wide range of liveries covering a large area. Particularly the popular NSE livery which never appeared in 3-CEP form.

Weren't the 411/9 3-CEP  1401-06 in NSE?

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, JSpencer said:

Particularly the popular NSE livery which never appeared in 3-CEP form.

Errm...

IMGP0785(2).JPG.462e6e88acfeb675e61a9e237730a534.JPG

3-CEP 1102 leading a 3 x 3-CEP Victoria - Ramsgate train at Whitstable on 11th December 2002.  All 3 units in NSE livery.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, SR Chris said:

Errm...

IMGP0785(2).JPG.462e6e88acfeb675e61a9e237730a534.JPG

3-CEP 1102 leading a 3 x 3-CEP Victoria - Ramsgate train at Whitstable on 11th December 2002.  All 3 units in NSE livery.

1 hour ago, miles73128 said:

Weren't the 411/9 3-CEP  1401-06 in NSE?

I am fairly certain these conversions happened in  1999 in South Eastern days. Therefore for me, this is not true NSE days. Just the former NSE livery on a South Eastern 3-CEP.

• RMweb Premium

Nevertheless, they were all in NSE livery, applied during NSE days, and untouched until withdrawal.  There was absolutely nothing visually to indicate a change of operator. I'd buy one.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

On 07/08/2023 at 20:40, SR Chris said:

Nevertheless, they were all in NSE livery, applied during NSE days, and untouched until withdrawal.  There was absolutely nothing visually to indicate a change of operator. I'd buy one.

Apart from one missing coach. It just feels weird! Even more so if I was to a 4-VEP, 4-CEP NSE pairing. But I guess Bachmann's next move is the 3-CEP in NSE SE days... Then I'll cross my fingers for that extra coach....... TBH they could do 4-VEP NSE and people can run as either.

Edit: This missing vehicle is the TSK becoming a TSO. technically Bachmann just need new glazing strips and internal seating mold. The bogies are tooled up while the underframe, sides, doors and roof (body) are the same.

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Great set of releases, more southern region EMUs are always welcome. The blue/grey 4-TEP is on my list to get for sure. The various southern MUs and push/pull sets done by Bachmann have been excellent. It always amazed me that the southern was largely ignored by RTR manufacturers for so long given how it remains the most intensive part of the network for passenger operations.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 02/08/2023 at 13:06, brushman47544 said:

Thanks Andy.

I really don’t understand Bachmann’s rationale with its OO releases. More 9Fs, more 158s, more 37s… I’d have thought the market was saturated with them by now. But still no more 47s - a green with FYE would be really useful for the steam/diesel transition period and into the 70s to go with recent green and blue 40s and blue 47s. Perhaps the 37s - and the BR suburbans - are being prioritised to sell their versions before the Accurascale equivalents appear. In which case please hurry up Heljan with your new 47.

I was expecting some more Bulleid coaches to capitalise on their new tooling - a 15” window 3-set in BR(S) green and/or a diagram 2406 BCK would have gone down very well - but clearly they’re not a priority.

I agree. A Bulleid 10" &15" FK in BR(S) green is a big hole in their lineup too!

Edited by dis80786

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, dis80786 said:

I agree. A Bulleid 10" FK in BR(S) green is a big hole in their lineup too!

FKs are a bit of a liability for a manufacturer, I think. Hornby's Maunsell FKs are more visible on ebay than most other versions, because the average layout cannot handle long trains, so a three-set with a CK is more viable. FKs were numerous on peak-hour City services, and on prestige main-line trains, not common on branch and secondary services. The Dia 2406 already identified would sell much more readily, appearing on every West Country branch.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, dis80786 said:

I agree. A Bulleid 10" FK in BR(S) green is a big hole in their lineup too!

Except there was not any 10" window vent FKs. The Diagram 2552 FKs introduced in 1949 had 15" vents.

• Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, paul 27 said:

If not all ready mentioned Bachmann if you read this can you please make

the Rebuilt Crosti 9F  a long over due model.

I think there's a strong possiblity that Bachmann and Hornby have one planned 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, davidw said:

I think there's a strong possiblity that Bachmann and Hornby have one planned 

I reckon Hornby more likely as they have obviously got the most recent research and up to date tooling so it would be a relatively 'easy' option to tool a new body. Bachmann model, good as it is would need the 10+ year old research dusting off and reviewing and then would be sat on an old chassis which again whilst good (and I have 2 of these) would benefit from an upgrade not least of which would bearings for the driving wheels. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

I reckon Hornby more likely as they have obviously got the most recent research and up to date tooling so it would be a relatively 'easy' option to tool a new body. Bachmann model, good as it is would need the 10+ year old research dusting off and reviewing and then would be sat on an old chassis which again whilst good (and I have 2 of these) would benefit from an upgrade not least of which would bearings for the driving wheels. 

Well i hope its Bachmann dont have a problem with there current model.

On 01/10/2023 at 19:02, Graham_Muz said:

Except there was not any 10" window vent FKs. The Diagram 2552 FKs introduced in 1949 had 15" vents

According to Gould, Firsts 7648 in Set 473, 7635 in Set 801, and 7630 in Set 802 were  contractor-built carriages ordered in 1946/46 with 10" ventilators. It was from 1949 onwards that the 15" began to arrive in 'N' sets. In total, 17 FKs existed.

If I have misread Gould's book I apologise in advance but I have updated my original post with '15"' to reflect.

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, dis80786 said:

According to Gould, Firsts 7648 in Set 473, 7635 in Set 801, and 7630 in Set 802 were  contractor-built carriages ordered in 1946/46 with 10" ventilators. It was from 1949 onwards that the 15" began to arrive in 'N' sets. In total, 17 FKs existed.

If I have misread Gould's book I apologise in advance but I have updated my original post with '15"' to reflect.

As Bachmann have not tooled for any of the BRCW contractor built coaches I discounted them in my reply, as you would also require to other BRCW diagrams to make use of that FK. 

• RMweb Premium
On 05/10/2023 at 17:44, Paul.Uni said:

The 3CEP is now also showing as due in the next 30 days

Kernow MRC’s latest newsletter states that thIs, and the 4-TEP, have arrived and that Bachmann has reduced the price, so Kernow has done so too. Whilst welcome, they are still very expensive at over £100 a coach and I wonder what has prompted the drop in price. It appears that other new products, including from Farish, are also reduced, so perhaps a rethink across the board based on customer and/or retailer feedback?

• Informative/Useful 2

• 1 month later...
On 24/11/2023 at 21:55, Paul.Uni said:

In OO the SWT & TfW class 158 DMUs are showing as arrived on the Bachmann website. The Northern 158 is now due Dec/Jan.

The Dinorwic Slate Wagons are also listed as arrived.

These (excluding the Northern 158) are now at retailers.

Simon