Bachmann Autumn 2023 announcements

AY Mod

6 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

On a more serious note just how many 57ft Mk 1 Suburbans were allocated to the WR and SR?

WR quite a few. About fifty Thirds and 12 BTs from the original allocations. Most went to the LMR, ER and ScR though.

SR were all 64 foot versions ISTR. The type that Replica did RTR, and Comet and DC KIts made as kits.

Jason

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, GeoffBird said:

But was there not a clause which allowed the NRM to take it back if certain conditions were not met (e..g. delays in the ovetrhaul).

As far as a manufacturer then, apart from Dapol previously mentioned, we are left with Accurascale who are doing the NRM "Buckjumper", which is quite a long way down the track and this could possibly be their THIRD steam looco, or Rapido, who do the Jones Goods, located in the Scottish transport museum, but they do have rather a lot on their plate at the moment.

Hopefully, all this froth will get one of them to put theeir hands up and say "its coming from us"!

As no manufacturer has announced it, then you can not eliminate the possibly that any potential manufacturer may or may not be working or otherwise on such a project.  All is total speculation at this time.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Southernman46 said:

Still awaiting the blue 2-HAP please Bachmann 🤞

Me too, probably will announce it, just as I finish painting my DC-Kits version.

Would love an all blue 117 as well. I could respray a Green version without corridor connections, as a few received blue whilst in that condition, but, to get the corridor version (which i'd rather have), currently you'd need to use the Blue & Grey version, but that has the post refurb bodyside grills on the DMBS (and DMS?) and blanked off headcode panel, so would need a bit of hacking about.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, GeoffBird said:

But was there not a clause which allowed the NRM to take it back if certain conditions were not met (e..g. delays in the ovetrhaul).

As far as a manufacturer then, apart from Dapol previously mentioned, we are left with Accurascale who are doing the NRM "Buckjumper", which is quite a long way down the track and this could possibly be their THIRD steam looco, or Rapido, who do the Jones Goods, located in the Scottish transport museum, but they do have rather a lot on their plate at the moment.

Hopefully, all this froth will get one of them to put theeir hands up and say "its coming from us"!

TTBOMK, there was no stipulation in the transfer as to any overhaul taking place.

The NRM would have been content for the loco to remain a static exhibit. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Graham_Muz said:

you can not eliminate the possibly that any potential manufacturer may or may not be working or otherwise on such a project. 

Not speculation, a dead cert I think! (You're not, by any chance, related to Sir Humphrey Appleby are you, Graham?)

• Funny 4

18 hours ago, GeoffBird said:

We have two SECR classes - D and D1; we have two LBSCR classes- H1  and H2. so why not two LSWR classes - T3 or T9.

I doubt manufacturers are going to conspire to provide each SR pre-grouping company 2 express loco types. 

Gladstone would equally be a firm target at some point as well as an SECR E. And then there are plenty of designs in other regions that are preserved....

• Agree 3

On 02/08/2023 at 12:44, Tatty said:

Love the look of the 3-CEP, and in the correct livery for me, but it only lasted as a 3 car for a couple of years and was pretty much confined to the Lymington branch. Would much rather have it as a 4 car unit

I expect they are testing sales before they tool up the 4th car… odd really as the only mod would be the windows…

• Like 1

On 02/08/2023 at 13:09, Tatty said:

I agree that the 3 car is a good idea for those short of space. Maybe one of the NSE liveried 3-CEPs from Connex South Eastern might have been a better choice. Am still tempted, but I’m on a budget and the Hornby 4-VEP is due soon(ish) and that’s a bit more useful (and cheaper lol)

Latest release date for the VEP (according to my email from Hattons ) is Dec/Jan

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, JerseyJon said:

I expect they are testing sales before they tool up the 4th car… odd really as the only mod would be the windows…

That's probably why they've done it this way round. I don't think the TSO bodyshell actually needs any mods, just a different set of window inserts, and a different interior. Would be the same with the TRB, I think. Easier to gauge the market with the newly tooled bodyshells, and if successful, then commit to doing the 4-car unit. With regards to the RRP, what we don't know is how big a run there is of each. It's probably likely that these are a rather low run item, considering Rails have already posted on FB saying they are selling fast on pre-order (although I do know this can be a marketing thing...)

6 hours ago, Southernman46 said:

Also every window was converted to hopper style from standard quarter lights so the mould changes have been significant

The glazing is separate from the body moulding and the windows are the same size be they hopper or not, so that part isn't a significant change; The prototype hopper windows did in fact drop into the same space the old vent windows came out of, which leaves the possibility for the prototype, 7152/1500 to be modelled relatively easily.

• RMweb Gold

The 3-CEP and 4-TEP are rather odd choices. Would be really surprised if there were not 4-car Refurbished CEPs & BEPS on the way, as they would be the sensible options.

They do look lovely, though. Always had a soft spot for the Refurbished CEPs with their alarming interior colour scheme.

2 hours ago, miles73128 said:

Another thought on the CEP(R) and TEP, if they are using the existing motor, it's going to be very visible in the DMBSO. Hornby's VEP MBSO is going to look good in comparison! (smaller windows)  

That's true - maybe the mechanism will be adapted to the latest type low floor ones used in the 158, 121, 117 etc?

EDIT: the images shared would indicate not as the interior is filled at one end

Edited by andyman7

On 02/08/2023 at 11:40, Ian Hargrave said:

Yes of course ,understood. But thinking about it,there’s really not a lot r-t-r LSWR available.Hornby’s T9 isn’t quite frankly the best of models  & is subject to fragility….to say the least. Certainly a gap in the market for  something Adams or Drummond perhaps ?  I have an OO Works Jubilee which is delightful but it’s in Southern livery and for those who require it isn’t dcc compatible in any case.

It's not too difficult to DCC the OO Works Jubilee or the K10 and D15 for that matter. Mine also have sound. The decoder (and speaker) are located in the tender body. Unfortunately I didn't photograph the process but basically I replaced the red and black pick up wires from the motor and diverted them to the decoder. The grey/orange wires from the decoder were then extended to the motor. In my case the speaker was then also connected to the decoder. I've found they work without any problems on DCC and I am very happy with them.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Why would they need permission seeing as the drawings are readily available anyway?

They're in the Bradley books ISTR.

You don't need permission from every owner of a Black Five to make Black Fives. It's a bog standard 4-4-0 not Flying Scotsman. And I understand that only applies if you are selling merchandise relevant to FS as it is now and abusing the name, if you want to make A3s then fill your boots. Nobody is stopping you!

It's a bit like Lion. We got two models of it but only one could make Thunderbolt as they obtained the rights to the film and the other company didn't.

Jason

Loco owners are getting increasingly savvy to this.

Theres a reason some preserved locos have not been done, in their preservation appearences.

notice the Trademark reference here

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/lner-p2-class-2-8-2-2007-prince-of-wales-era-11-r3983

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

17 hours ago, Adam1701D said:

The 3-CEP and 4-TEP are rather odd choices. Would be really surprised if there were not 4-car Refurbished CEPs & BEPS on the way, as they would be the sensible options.

Good thinking. IF a refurbished 4-BEP is on the way, then as there were only 7 of them, all operating in the south west, that one could probably be next. After all they started with the relatively niche 4-TEP and 3-CEP.

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Loco owners are getting increasingly savvy to this.

Theres a reason some preserved locos have not been done, in their preservation appearences.

notice the Trademark reference here

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/lner-p2-class-2-8-2-2007-prince-of-wales-era-11-r3983

It's curious that the licencing refers to the builders/owners of the new-build locomotive, who in turn had to receive permission from the then HRH Prince of Wales to use his title but that is not mentioned. And now we have a new HRH Prince of Wales; have the builders got his permission? Oh what a twisted web they weave...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JSpencer said:

Good thinking. IF a refurbished 4-BEP is on the way, then as there were only 7 of them, all operating in the south west, that one could probably be next. After all they started with the relatively niche 4-TEP and 3-CEP.

ISTR this was cut back to 7 from 15 but as with all these things enough of certain components got ordered early and it is why the SR Rolling stock development section at Southern House ended up with a spare industrial microwave for use under one of their drawing tables 👍

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1

They was not much new too steam locomotive in this. 

But the efe lswr 10 ton road van is fantastic and a great price as well from model shop it roughly £27 which is better than some manufacturer pricing on similar models. 

Edited by Adi
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/08/2023 at 15:17, JerseyJon said:

History unfortunately runs against Bachmann Southern units in that regard… no centre cars for the EPB, 205 have ever yet appeared, a 4REP seems tantalisingly just out of reach too.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 2