BR 16t Minerals, By Accurascale

I am only surprised that they did the 21tonners and chaldrons first!

I have no doubt this will be a money spinner for Accurascale.  Yes ,there's a lot of existing wagons and there's cheaper kits out there, but these wagons were by far the most common that aybody over 40 remembers

2 packs ordered  (so far)

18 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Quite correct. There were a quarter of a million of the real things and many people will need far more than three differently-numbered ones.

Well, they can wait for run 2, run 3 , run 4....

I am quite certain these are going to run and run and run.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

There were a quarter of a million of the real things

I wonder how many of these miniminerals will get made over the same period that BR took?

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

This is excellent news, as I'm just starting to put together a modest rake of coal wagons for my new Class 40. Right now I just have three (one Bachmann, two unpainted Dapols), so this will be a big help.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, AY Mod said:

I wonder how many of these miniminerals will get made over the same period that BR took?

The must have been quite a few of the Airfix/Dapol ones too.  I'm not exactly short of those or the Parksides, most of the them built although several need attention to their couplings or even wheels.

• Like 2

Great announcement and a no-brainer.  Everyone modelling early BR up to the 90's can use these in one form or another.

I've a healthy amount of Airfix and Parksides, along with a couple of Bachmanns.  I'll be supplementing my fleet with some of these chaps.

Nice Class 06 shuffling these about would look great 😃

Question for @Accurascale Fran, do you think these could be a permanently available model in your range? 

• Like 5

Price is right that's for certain, £22.50 per wagon really isn't too bad (seeing that most people will be buying with the 10% off multibuy offer), though here's a question, will these be the correct shade of grey?

As I remember the MDOs I have (currently stored) were a tad light compared to other mineral wagons in the collection.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I went out to find out why a derailment at Euxton Junction, and found a whole load of these wagons spread over all 4 tracks of the West Coast Main Line. It didn't take long to find the culprit where a dry axle in a dry box had been extruded so far that it knocked the axlebox cover off before snapping and dragging itself and the rest of the train off.  Despite having seen these things from the age of 11 up to about 22 I couldn't identify any different makes / diagrams except the brown ones had train brakes fitted.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

While Porcy Mane has drawn your attention to the location being Carnforth - it was still an operational BR loco shed for another year or so and the presence of a preserved loco distinctly unusual. What can be seen looks rather shiny so the tarpaulins are probably protecting the eyesight of any Ivatt pedants from that 'orrible red paint.

As an occasional visitor to Carnforth around that time it was indeed both shint and in that 'orrible redpaint (whic was e rather offensive in the eye to those of us used to seeing them in either black or green lined liveries. 

1 hour ago, phil gollin said:

Will Accurascale be doing suitable "coal loads" for these ?

How about scrap metal and sugar beet loads - both of which were common loads for them by the 1970s (if not earlier)?  

And , getting very parochial, hialcan we look forwad to the ingot mould conversions one day?

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Southernman46 said:

Ah - remember the days in late 70's when to model a 16t mineral wagon was only possible by donating an organ for a long out-of -production Airfix kit .................................................

Good job there were plenty of redundant Hammonds around post late 60s Rock.

A. Moog.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Tough. 😁

Everyone *should* have more wagons than locos.

Correct :

St.Blazey China Clay hood wagon fleet = 895

WR Diesel Hydraulic Loco fleet = 309.

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Anyway, great choice on the 16tonners Accurascale, a model that has wheels and........................................ legs!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, NBL said:

Question for @Accurascale Fran, do you think these could be a permanently available model in your range? 

Hi @NBL,

That is certainly the aim with these and other wagons such as HAA range etc. Staple diets for modellers. 

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 1

3 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

O/T, but interested in that tarpaulin covered loco. What was so special about it, that a stored loco would be lavished such care in 1967?

Betty Beet's Ivatt CL2 46441. Presently resides at L&HR.

Edited by Carnforth
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

As an occasional visitor to Carnforth around that time it was indeed both shint and in that 'orrible redpaint (whic was e rather offensive in the eye to those of us used to seeing them in either black or green lined liveries. 

How about scrap metal and sugar beet loads - both of which were common loads for them by the 1970s (if not earlier)?  

And , getting very parochial, hialcan we look forwad to the ingot mould conversions one day?

I thought the 'Ingot Mould' conversions were from 27t Oron Ore tipplers? . 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

As an occasional visitor to Carnforth around that time it was indeed both shint and in that 'orrible redpaint (whic was e rather offensive in the eye to those of us used to seeing them in either black or green lined liveries. ...

Now, the typo 'shint' could be interpreted in a couple of different ways and I thing the moderators would prefer 'shiny' - which it certainly was : - 

r22_14.jpg.f7b0a31f26a976b17cdb08266c5937ba.jpg

30/8/69 - fortunately this photo's also in monocrud. 😎

• Like 4

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

St.Blazey China Clay hood wagon fleet = 895

Good point; we could do with miniclays that don't look like the gear is made of Lego when suitably weathered.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

I thought the 'Ingot Mould' conversions were from 27t Oron Ore tipplers? . 

Rickard's Record Vol.1 shows a former Rhymney 0-6-2T down freight passing Cefn On with  a Cardiff East Dock working in 1956.

The first wagon is a wooden five plank open loaded with an ingot mould, followed by a relatively new 16 ton mineral carrying something (potentially) similar.

The train also contains a G.K.I.S. internal user wagon, and the bottom section of a slag ladle.

I suspect the train started out a the Dowlais foundry.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Now, the typo 'shint' could be interpreted in a couple of different ways and I thing the moderators would prefer 'shiny' - which it certainly was : - 

r22_14.jpg.f7b0a31f26a976b17cdb08266c5937ba.jpg

30/8/69 - fortunately this photo's also in monocrud. 😎

Here's one that I built for one of the service crew of 46441about 35 yrs ago, I did him one in black too. He who pays the piper !!

46441 m[1.jpg

46441 m.jpg

Edited by Carnforth
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5