Ruston 88DS In O, By Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Goodnight Sweetheart said:

Positives first, I’m sure it’ll be a great model as have all the models you guys have produced. 

But…….it’s of zero interest to the majority of modern modellers who are crying out for a high quality competitor to the established modern diesel manufacturer.

Huge holes like the 57,59,67,68,69 you could of made a big statement of intent with, I’m positive you’d of had a the majority O gauge modern community behind you.

Obviously I cant speak for others but I’m as excited as passing a kidney stone with Thai model. My first thought on hearing about it last night was it was a distraction “leak” to get people talking with the proper announcement today. But there we areZ

I really do mean the best of luck I’m sure it’ll be a fantastic model, but please give us big railway people a proper loco.

Well, to my mind it is an eminently sensible model. The classes you mention are big, but also need big layouts and that limits the market. 

Accurascale also make the point that this is dipping their toe in the water, suggesting that they want to learn more about the market. Perhaps if it were your money being invested you would be similarly cautious?

It is a nice looking model and I may be tempted to get one to supplement my O gauge Brassworks Class 03. 

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Good choice, to test the market, and to possibly get OO modellers adding an O gauge micro layout in the 'other' spare room.

I'm sure the magazines will come up with suggestions.

I did expect a smoke generator to be included. but perhaps lacking space.

A very reasonable price for these 🙂

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

A very sensible choice for a first O Gauge project and deserves success. Ideal for the smaller shunting plank and an ideal accompaniment other small Industrials, such as our own forthcoming J94 (sorry....Hunslet Austerity).

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I've also removed another post, if it's not if interest to you personally just move on. 

You’re no fun, I wanted to read more about the bloke who’d paid the Thai model to watch him

pass a kidney stone. I bet that’s one of the stranger things he/she had been paid to ‘observe’.

However looking at the Accurascale model, I think it’s a good choice. With Heljans 48DS and 02 there’s plenty of potential for O gauge industrial type layouts, for those wanting to try out the scale.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 7

9 minutes ago, PMP said:

You’re no fun, I wanted to read more about the bloke who’d paid the Thai model to watch him

pass a kidney stone. I bet that’s one of the stranger things he/she had been paid to ‘observe’.

However looking at the Accurascale model, I think it’s a good choice. With Heljans 48DS and 02 there’s plenty of potential for O gauge industrial type layouts, for those wanting to try out the scale.

Shes paid for ! 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

In the general 'Which O Gauge locomotive' I mentioned 'small industrial'.

I did default to Pug, after a few decided it would be diesel so my bad, but I was pretty close - can't go wrong with a small industrial locomotive.

Should be an interesting project.

Al.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Very competitive pricing, what looks like a diecast running plate, and great detail.

While an HST prototype would have made a bold statement 😜 this is a great choice. 

Q1 2025 is enough time for me to start saving to expand from OO into God's own O...

• Like 1

What a fantastic choice as a debut loco in the "senior" scale. Just how many folk will be tempted to build a shunting plank.

As a committed OO modeller I am waiting the red box release, but would definitely prefer the Accurascale OO version were it to be announced, and would hold out for it. Why ? Well NCB Western Area owned 338413 which spent it's life in Staffordshire at various sites.

An idea loco for bashing a few old coal wagons around. 

So please Accurascale - you obviously have all the R&D and the CAD. You could make it happen in OO !!!!!

EDIT

Wow !!! You have actually selected 338413 in your first run.

Edited by Covkid
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2

Great little loco!

For someone who is almost entirely OO and N (my layout, not me, that is!), I do have one or two O gauge models.  I have no intent on making a huge layout, perhaps just a single line, maybe with a siding and that's about it.  Then, with No 20 being local to Reading, it fits right in with my interest zone.  The price is particularly well placed too...

Hope it's a success and encourages interest in further loco models in the scale.

Any chance of an N or OO version though? 😀

Thanks,

Ixion.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Why is it I’ve got an urge plan/build a little 7mm shunting plank? Sound and DCC could be worth dabbling in as well.  I’ve already been looking at whether I could scale up the Scalescenes industrial box file kit, and your HUO hoppers are reduced as well, I’ll only need a few…

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, StuAllen said:

Why is it I’ve got an urge plan/build a little 7mm shunting plank? Sound and DCC could be worth dabbling in as well.  I’ve already been looking at whether I could scale up the Scalescenes industrial box file kit, and your HUO hoppers are reduced as well, I’ll only need a few…

I am happy to hear you are tempted to do a small industrial layout Stu.  The Scalescenes industry kit would be ideal and the buildings are easy to scale up.  I've done that with a number of Scalescenes kits and, notably, the Canal Dock kit.  See the link below.  I have had to prioritize my main layout because we have caught the exhibition bug.

John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1