Graham Farish - Winter 2023 Announcements

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gedlee said:

Hi All,

Several Class 158s and 47s have disappeared from the Bachmann website.

is this just a problem with their website or have they realised they cannot deliver this year?

Tis a mystery!

cheers,

Ged.

How about asking them directly?

customer.services@Bachmann-europe.co.uk

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I had a play  test run in the shop of one of the sound fitted class 47s yesterday…..and it was great…very impressed. Shame about the choice of liveries….but will hope that there are more to come.

• Like 3

Ive just ran in my new rails of sheffield exclusive 47628 and very impressed with it, looks great on my mk2f rake.   The paint job is fantastic with a slight sheen to it and a smooth runner straight from the box.  Its worth pointing out a few other changes theyve made to the 47s:
- The chassis is a lower profile to fit the 1watt 8ohm speaker and next18 interface

- The bogies have also been retooled to suit (note they are not interchangeable with the old tooling).

- They now include a decent representation of snowploughs that plug into buffer beam moulding (although as 628 uses the original buffer beam tooling which has no holes for them, im assuming the crewe cut does?).

- The lighting, all forward lights are a warm white (like the 31), there is switches inside for dc users to turn off the rear lights on dcc function 1 and 3 can control each end.  Function 2 controls brake and cab lights are function 4 and 5.

- Coreless motor.

I really hope more colour schemes are released, I need a plain late 80s BR blue (with headlight and orange stripe).

Edited by davebem
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

@davebem I too am awaiting other liveries, but I guess the Crewe Cut had first dibs, it's been promised for so long.

It's not the first time the bogies have changed - there was an improvement from the first blue riband incarnation and whilst I thought it was just limited to the bogie moulding to stop it grounding on points I suspect there might have been more to it.  I recently swapped out some some original bogies on one of my 47s for the later version and the locomotive really does not like them - it solved the issue of Dapol couplers hanging too low but the loco struggles to get a grip on the cogs - it's that or split gears in brand new (after years in a stockroom) spare parts.  To be fair I did send one set of replacements back to Bachmann because they immediately displayed split gear symptoms but the replacements seem to be ok, perhaps they are not.

So a new sound fitted 47 would be welcome for me in BR Blue or Green

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

So a new sound fitted 47 would be welcome for me in BR Blue or Green

Me too in green. I have asked and been told that further 47s are included in Bachmann's future plans, but no more detail than that I'm afraid, so we can probably expect the blue and green ones at some as yet unspecified future date. Very odd not to include the blue and green ones in the initial run of sound upgraded models as they are always the first liveries to sell out, but then I gave up trying to understand Bachmann's priorities or sales strategy for their models a long time ago 🤔

18 minutes ago, Roy L S said:

Me too in green. I have asked and been told that further 47s are included in Bachmann's future plans, but no more detail than that I'm afraid, so we can probably expect the blue and green ones at some as yet unspecified future date. Very odd not to include the blue and green ones in the initial run of sound upgraded models as they are always the first liveries to sell out, but then I gave up trying to understand Bachmann's priorities or sales strategy for their models a long time ago 🤔

If we use the 158, 2MT, and 5MT as an example there will be further releases in the next announcement - presumably they are spreading them so as not to flood the market to quickly. Presumably interciy swallow will feature given the release of Mk2F's make it perfect companion. Blue and Green will get done I am sure to spread their appeal, hopefully a large logo blue version too

On 30/11/2023 at 13:55, Roy L S said:

It is possible that they release the less common liveries (Res, Virgin) first and then the bread and butter liveries (blue, green) later as they know the latter will sell anyway. We've been waiting for Res and Virgin for a very long time - they've been promised for about a decade and I think there have been two 47 retoolings since they were first announced! Great to see them finally appearing but it has been so long that sadly the layout for which I wanted them has now been scrapped and replaced.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fezza said:

It is possible that they release the less common liveries (Res, Virgin) first and then the bread and butter liveries (blue, green) later as they know the latter will sell anyway. We've been waiting for Res and Virgin for a very long time - they've been promised for about a decade and I think there have been two 47 retoolings since they were first announced! Great to see them finally appearing but it has been so long that sadly the layout for which I wanted them has now been scrapped and replaced.

Markets seem to be based round collectors anyhow especially as like the motor trade the used models are part of the industry strategy. Why else put tissue paper round boxes as that forms part of the 'value' I would snap an IC swallow or Railfreight distribution one in an instant but there is a good chance these will be in a few years time and the blue/green basics will be next.

The 158s have been pushed to dec/Jan according to the Manufacturers website although I over heard a rep at Warley say something about in time for Christmas?

I'm thinking the 37 is in line for a retool internally next as the sound market will be ripe for that and no new releases at present.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, JBM37404 said:

The 158s have been pushed to dec/Jan according to the Manufacturers website although I over heard a rep at Warley say something about in time for Christmas?

I was also told the 158s should arrive before Christmas. 

Tom. 

• RMweb Premium

I wouldn't count on any green or blue class 47s - the body shell used for the current release is the mid 1980s "Crewe Cut" where some of the metal work was removed from around the buffer beams. More sector and privatisation liveries are more likely.

It may be that Farish have yet to modify the body shells for the older periods to match the new chassis.

Steven B

I have an older Graham Farish Class 47, 371-825A in two tone green. I tried the body from that older green one on one of the new Next18 chassis and it fits perfectly, the headcode box lining up nicely with the more modern lighting fitted to the new chassis. In fact, as far as I can see, the new chassis is very similar to the previous, only the PCB and 6 pin socket being replaced by the new PCB with Next18 socket, the speaker going where the old 6 pin decoder would have been. The Next18 decoder fitting directly on top of the new PCB.

It so happens that my older 6 pin chassis is a non runner, so, instead of repairing it, I will be buying another of the new 47s, just to gain the chassis and upgrade my existing 47 with Next18 benefits to lighting and sound.

Edited by Brian-1c
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 04/12/2023 at 12:39, Steven B said:

I wouldn't count on any green or blue class 47s - the body shell used for the current release is the mid 1980s "Crewe Cut" where some of the metal work was removed from around the buffer beams. More sector and privatisation liveries are more likely.

It may be that Farish have yet to modify the body shells for the older periods to match the new chassis.

Steven B

Are all the recent releases "Crewe Cut"? The Rails "special" certainly appears to have the valance on the body side behind the buffer-beam, like the green one I have already - or am I showing my ignorance regarding these locos?

Graham Farish 372-247ZSF Class 47 47628 'Sir Daniel Gooch' GWR 150th Anniversary Livery Diesel – Rails of Sheffield

Roy

The buffer beam is a separate moulding that plugs into the bodyshell on the old and new releases. So the rails exclusive as well as the kernow and locomotion exclusives have the original valence but new chassis, the general releases all have the new Crewe cut buffer beam separate moulding along with the new chassis. The body shells on the Crewe cut ones have been slightly retooled so the bottom of the cab front runs flush with the cutaway.

Rails have said the 158s are due in next 30 days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, davebem said:

The buffer beam is a separate moulding that plugs into the bodyshell on the old and new releases. So the rails exclusive as well as the kernow and locomotion exclusives have the original valence but new chassis, the general releases all have the new Crewe cut buffer beam separate moulding along with the new chassis. The body shells on the Crewe cut ones have been slightly retooled so the bottom of the cab front runs flush with the cutaway.

Rails have said the 158s are due in next 30 days.

RE : 158s

Much of the next 30 days will be the time off/shut down/party season so it could well be new year. Will get the no heat 37s out on substitute turns while waiting!

Edited by JBM37404

1 hour ago, davebem said:

Does that mean the lights are still on the chassis with a light tunnel(s) between the cab interior and the buffer beam moulding?

What has changed on the chassis itself to get a Next18 PCB and speaker onto it?

Yes, the chassis is just a lower profile block and entirely new pcb for next 18 and speaker, the bogie tower is also lower.  This means the new ones are a few grams lighter ( I had a touch of wheel slip on a 10 coach rake - nothing serious though).

The light pcb now includes cab light at the top shown below.  The only minor issue with swapping bodies is the cab interior moulding has been changed for the cab light to pass through, if you can live without cab lights or also swap the cab interior then its fine.

IMG_0425.jpeg

Edited by davebem
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, davebem said:

Yes, the chassis is just a lower profile block and entirely new pcb for next 18 and speaker, the bogie tower is also lower.  This means the new ones are a few grams lighter ( I had a touch of wheel slip on a 10 coach rake - nothing serious though).

The light pcb now includes cab light at the top shown below.  The only minor issue with swapping bodies is the cab interior moulding has been changed for the cab light to pass through, if you can live without cab lights or also swap the cab interior then its fine.

IMG_0425.jpeg

Can the earlier fuel tank set up be attached to the new chassis? If yes then I can see a lot of body swooping going on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, acg5324 said:

Can the earlier fuel tank set up be attached to the new chassis? If yes then I can see a lot of body swooping going on.

Good to see nylon gears as opposed to plastic on the new chassis, and of course as well as being a lower profile it now has a coreless motor rather than the old can type.

Roy

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

As an analogue dinosaur, I look forward to everyone upgrading their 47's so I can snap a couple of the old ones up at sensible prices!!!  No need for all that overly complicated technogimmerickery here....

• Like 1