Graham Farish - Winter 2023 Announcements

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, s7r4nge said:

And Rails of Sheffield have an exclusive Fairsh 47/6 on the way,  47628 Sir Daniel Gooch in GWR green.

Excellent news. A GWR150 green duff has been on my wish list for ages. 

2 hours ago, osbornsmodels said:

They are not for use with MK1s with body mounted couplings, as were shown on the pre-order pics.

I bought quite a few on advance order and was able to send them back as the item produced was not the item adevertised

es grüßt

pc 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well there I was expecting a splurge of c47s and only two more versions than announced many years ago. There’s hope for Spring 2024!

Odd no VT RFB

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I suppose we shouldn't let this set of announcements go by without mentioning something I think is a first, a price reduction

The Class 158's have dropped in price from £284.95 to £259.95 RRP for DCC ready versions, and from £384.95 to £369.95 RRP for the sound fitted versions.

Whilst not a massive reduction it's nice to see things go in that direction for a change and kudos to Bachmann for passing it on 😁

Tom. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

46477 with sound?  I could have sold them mine..

Seriously, nice to see a Darlington engine there.

46477 was built at Darlington, used at 51A Darlington shed, and scrapped at Darlington.  I think it qualifies as a Darlington engine..........

Les

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Steven B said:

It's a bit sad that there's still no Mk2a BSO in Regional Railways (did such a thing exist or were they all Mk2b/c), ditto no re-run of Mk2a TSO in blue/grey (both missing from the last re-run on Mk2a).

This question has been stuck in my head since I saw your post, and it could well be there were no (or at least only few) 2A BSOs in Regional livery.  I think the stock in the North West were ex BFK reclassified as BSKs in the 35xxx series, mostly ex NSE stock from the Thames and West England routes.

It could well be that the only 2A BSOs were the Scottish sets with Reggie colours and 'SCOTRAIL' branding.  Although, Transpennine did have at least one 2A BSO in their house colours, so that must have gone somewhere after the TP loco hauled stopped in 1991.

My Platform 5s are still boxed after moving house, but I did come across this site about North Wales stock.

http://www.nwrail.org.uk/nwcoach.htm

Edit:  Found the 1995 Platform 5.

It says there were x10 2a BSO, x1 2c BSO and x7 2a BSK (ex BFK) in Regional Railways all at Liverpool. 

Inverness has x3 2a BSOT (vac braked) in Regional 'SCOTRAIL'.

So, plenty of reason for Farish to make the BSO, perhaps aong with some more of the TSOs as well.

Edited by s7r4nge
Found the P5s

11 hours ago, Stuart A said:

Another positive announcement for N gauge.  It is good to see that there are extended runs of models with alternative running numbers.

I would imagine next year there will be a fair few class 47's announced with some regional exclusives (could I please have 47472 in provincial, 47973 in Midland Counties maroon and a Crewe allocated Stanlow Petroleum example please).

It'll be difficult not to be tempted by a RR 158.....

why would you want 47472 in provincial? It never was 😉

Edited by 47606odin
  • Funny 1

13 hours ago, acg5324 said:

Well there I was expecting a splurge of c47s and only two more versions than announced many years ago. There’s hope for Spring 2024!

Odd no VT RFB

As I posted elsewhere having just milled out a 47 for a speaker and removed the PCB with ok results but a massive amount of time needed to do the work I was right that Sound fitted would arrive. Although we will see whether it's something loud enough. I have 7 37s one of which I have sound fitted and 6 to go but am sure they will announce the 37s in the future!!

15 hours ago, Suffolk Rob said:

Not many diesels awaiting a sound upgrade now, from memory just 20, 24, 25, 37 and 66. Hard to imagine those not being worked on with a couple appearing in 2024 along with the 69.

Agree. Modelling era 5, I'd like to see updated 20's and 25's, in particular. The latest Standard 5 has been acquired(sound fitted0, and is a lovely runner out of the box. Santa will hopefully bring a 2mt sound fitted for xmas😀

• RMweb Premium

I am glad to see a 158 with a Penzance route showing. I might be persuaded by one of those even though it is outside of my normal modelling period. 

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, s7r4nge said:

So, plenty of reason for Farish to make the BSO, perhaps aong with some more of the TSOs as well.

Would be nice wouldn't it!

Bachmann have made the Mk2a BFK in OO in Regional Railways - shame they've not matched it in N (yet!?). No Regional Railways BSO though.

It's frustrating for anyone wanting to replicate actual formations - I've found very few photos with Regional Railways Mk2a TSO that don't have a matching brake vehicle. I have to squint at my rake as it runs with Regional Mk1 BSK.

Steven B

• Like 1

On 01/11/2023 at 17:39, Steven B said:

My wallet breaths a sigh of relief! 

It's a bit sad that there's still no Mk2a BSO in Regional Railways (did such a thing exist or were they all Mk2b/c), ditto no re-run of Mk2a TSO in blue/grey (both missing from the last re-run on Mk2a).

A nice spread of models - I had hoped for a WYPTE class 158. It's a shame the Regional Railways 158 is a copy and paste of the livery on 371-850 - one with "Express" branding would have been more interesting.

Perhaps Spring 2023 will bring both along with some more class 47 liveries? Along with new liveries on the likes of the class 37 and 90. Surely the 37 has to be next for a Next18 upgrade?

SB

With all the MK1s finally reproduced this year, hopefully 2024 will be the year of the MK2A. A Regional Railways BSO is an obvious missing choice, but a few BFKs wouldn't go amiss either.

I too would prefer a 158 with the original EXPRESS branding. I will hold off in the hope that such a version will be produced one day.

22 hours ago, Stuart A said:

Another positive announcement for N gauge.  It is good to see that there are extended runs of models with alternative running numbers.

I would imagine next year there will be a fair few class 47's announced with some regional exclusives (could I please have 47475 in provincial, 47973 in Midland Counties maroon and a Crewe allocated Stanlow Petroleum example please).

I agree on 47475. I would certainly take that one. After Trans-Pennine, it wore that livery for a while when it was allocated to parcels work.

1 hour ago, Steven B said:

Would be nice wouldn't it!

Bachmann have made the Mk2a BFK in OO in Regional Railways - shame they've not matched it in N (yet!?). No Regional Railways BSO though.

It's frustrating for anyone wanting to replicate actual formations - I've found very few photos with Regional Railways Mk2a TSO that don't have a matching brake vehicle. I have to squint at my rake as it runs with Regional Mk1 BSK.

Steven B

Farish have not made a single MK2A BFK so far. I'm sure there are plenty who would purchase 2 of them for Waterloo-Exeter formations, since there were two of them back-to-back in the middle of those rakes for a good while. Also blue/grey, InterCity and Regional Railways of course. There were also the ex-NSE BFKs and TSOs that were transferred to the north west, debranded and had the light blue stripe painted over the red. Those lasted a while and were common within those rakes, so a regular release would even be justified.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, 47475 said:

With all the MK1s finally reproduced this year, hopefully 2024 will be the year of the MK2A. A Regional Railways BSO is an obvious missing choice, but a few BFKs wouldn't go amiss either.

I too would prefer a 158 with the original EXPRESS branding. I will hold off in the hope that such a version will be produced one day.

I agree on 47475. I would certainly take that one. After Trans-Pennine, it wore that livery for a while when it was allocated to parcels work.

Farish have not made a single MK2A BFK so far. I'm sure there are plenty who would purchase 2 of them for Waterloo-Exeter formations, since there were two of them back-to-back in the middle of those rakes for a good while. Also blue/grey, InterCity and Regional Railways of course. There were also the ex-NSE BFKs and TSOs that were transferred to the north west, debranded and had the light blue stripe painted over the red. Those lasted a while and were common within those rakes, so a regular release would even be justified.

BFKs also at Inverness for Scotrail Express services to Edinburgh and Aberdeen.

• Like 1

On 01/11/2023 at 16:06, Suffolk Rob said:

Don't aquire steamers very often but really tempted by a sound 2mt. A combination of it being 46464 which I'm sure pulled my train on a childhood visit to the Strathspey plus the minitix one being my starter loco in N at a similar time may be to overwhelming from a nostalgia perspective.

Rob

I have one of the new sound fitted Ivatt 2MTs (in my case 46447 as I remember it pre-restoration at Quainton Railway Centre). I am really pleased with it, the addition of sound was certainly a worthwhile enhancement and I think the Bachmann sound-file is excellent.  Given the cost of a Zimo Next 18 sound chip is in the region of £110 on it's own, I actually think that especially at a discounted price of typically a tad under £230 the sound fitted model is excellent value too.

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The Mk2a BFK is an easy conversion, use the compartment interior from a Mk1 FK shortened and attach it to the brake area of the BSO. Yellow stripe and numbers from Railtec.

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 02/11/2023 at 08:38, s7r4nge said:

This question has been stuck in my head since I saw your post, and it could well be there were no (or at least only few) 2A BSOs in Regional livery.  I think the stock in the North West were ex BFK reclassified as BSKs in the 35xxx series, mostly ex NSE stock from the Thames and West England routes.

It could well be that the only 2A BSOs were the Scottish sets with Reggie colours and 'SCOTRAIL' branding.  Although, Transpennine did have at least one 2A BSO in their house colours, so that must have gone somewhere after the TP loco hauled stopped in 1991.

My Platform 5s are still boxed after moving house, but I did come across this site about North Wales stock.

http://www.nwrail.org.uk/nwcoach.htm

Edit:  Found the 1995 Platform 5.

It says there were x10 2a BSO, x1 2c BSO and x7 2a BSK (ex BFK) in Regional Railways all at Liverpool. 

Inverness has x3 2a BSOT (vac braked) in Regional 'SCOTRAIL'.

I found a 1993 Platform 5 which confirms most of the above.

+1 from me for a Farish Mk2a BSO in RR. I'd be pretty pleased if they produced a BSOT in Regional "SCOTRAIL" too, although I think these are "early Mk2" or Mk2z as they tend to be described these days. Technically the Farish 2a BSO is the wrong bodyshell for these due to the incorrect gangway doors (folding on a 2a vs plain sliding door on the 2z) and vacuum brakes vs air, but that didn't stop Farish previously when they produced the  "Highlander" LNER Green/Cream tourist livery coaches.

The releases from Farish over the last few months have been great - if not expensive - but such an improvement over previous years. I'm looking forward to the sound fitted class 47s in particular from this announcement.

Lets hope Farish also produce the following to close some gaps in the range, which have been mentioned by others:

• Class 47/4 or 47/8 number series in INTERCITY livery with the updated next 18/DCC sound chassis.
  • Mk2f RFB in Virgin (so odd that it has not been released with the autumn or winter announcements)
  • Class 158 with original "EXPRESS" branding (icing on the cake would be a Scottish version, 158701-744 with first class at one end and snowplough modification)
  • Mk1 coaches in IC charter livery with the white roof - 31xx series open firsts especially plus that RB(R) which I'm sure they must have in the tooling shop...
  • Another run of Mk2a TSO in blue/grey.
  • How about a run of Mk2a TSO, FK and BSO in Provincial Trans Pennine livery, to go with that regional special 47475?

Cheers

Tom.

Edited by tiger
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, tiger said:

I found a 1993 Platform 5 which confirms most of the above.

+1 from me for a Farish Mk2a BSO in RR. I'd be pretty pleased if they produced a BSOT in Regional "SCOTRAIL" too, although I think these are "early Mk2" or Mk2z as they tend to be described these days. Technically the Farish 2a BSO is the wrong bodyshell for these due to the incorrect gangway doors (folding on a 2a vs plain sliding door on the 2z) and vacuum brakes vs air, but that didn't stop Farish previously when they produced the  "Highlander" LNER Green/Cream tourist livery coaches.

The releases from Farish over the last few months have been great - if not expensive - but such an improvement over previous years. I'm looking forward to the sound fitted class 47s in particular from this announcement.

Lets hope Farish also produce the following to close some gaps in the range, which have been mentioned by others:

• Class 47/4 or 47/8 number series in INTERCITY livery with the updated next 18/DCC sound chassis.
  • Mk2f RFB in Virgin (so odd that it has not been released with the autumn or winter announcements)
  • Class 158 with original "EXPRESS" branding (icing on the cake would be a Scottish version, 158701-744 with first class at one end and snowplough modification)
  • Mk1 coaches in IC charter livery with the white roof - 31xx series open firsts especially plus that RB(R) which I'm sure they must have in the tooling shop...
  • Another run of Mk2a TSO in blue/grey.
  • How about a run of Mk2a TSO, FK and BSO in Provincial Trans Pennine livery, to go with that regional special 47475?

Cheers

Tom.

I'm probably going to try and change a 158 to a 701-744 some how. I would also really like to know what the factory sound is like or just stick with non fitted and put a 3rd party one in.

• Agree 1