RMweb

EFE Rail - Winter 2023 Announcements inc. Southern 'Booster'

AY Mod

13 hours ago, GeoffBird said:

What noises would one get from the loco

One of the odder sounds that the loco produced was apparently a "low drone" from the booster units when the loco was stationary.  The whistles might also have a unique sound.   The rest of its repertoire would be similar to an equivalent EMU, though more so with 6 traction motors going at once!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Mike_Walker said:

Don't need them, they've got "boosters".

Hat, coat...

Has someone mentioned Dyna-Drives yet?  Follows with own hat, coat, etc., ...

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, GeoffBird said:

Also, ass well as a 21-pin sopcket fprDCC thetre is also a speraker inclufedc as staanard as I read it.  What noises would one get from the loco and is there a sound set being produced?

I confirm that there is a basic speaker fitted to the model and a 21-Pin socket. We are not aware of a suitable verified or complete sound recording hence no sound fitted versions being available. As suggested elsewhere the nearest possible starting point would be a Class 71 file. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 04/11/2023 at 10:54, number6 said:

Got a big collection of images of these locos saved for reference. A couple I really like are these two: one describing the Newhaven Boat and the other showing obvious pride in the job. 

15127123193_c258d45cbe_o.jpeg

49700464872_72d4e2c930_o.jpeg

An interesting article and picture, the loco pictured is 20002 (obviously at a different time to the article) , rather that 20003 as per the text and is in black and aluminum.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Nova Scotian said:

It wasn't speculative inaccuracies - I was asking a question. That's what the question marks were about.

It was speculative and inaccurate. Sticking a question mark after something doesn't excuse it; especially when you hadn't read what's already been posted. By your thinking I could accuse you of all sorts and phrase it as a question but I'm sure you wouldn't be too happy if I did.

• Like 4

Joining the party a bit late but congratulations to Graham, Kernow and EFE. I am so glad that you corrected Bachmann's error with the class 70. Not only was the shape wrong, but they even portrayed it as some weird diesel in post 2000 liveries!

I had been hoping for a model of a proper class 70 for a very long time.

Already ordered a BR Black CC2 and at such value, I'm thinking about CC1 in either Grey or Blue. 

Like others, I have higher hopes now of an eventual 20003 appearing someday...

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

1 hour ago, Graham_Muz said:

Sorry for the apparent delay in responding, as noted by some the buffer beam on the E82005 BR Blue version should be BR Rail Blue (Railmatch 207), we are somewhat frustrated that this managed to get through the review processes. These models are currently being shipped.

We are very sorry that this oversight has occurred, and we hope that this won’t detract from your enjoyment of this model of a very interesting prototype.

Graham,

Just to reassure ....................... I DON'T CARE !!!!!!!! - It's an SR Booster EL in Rail Blue 🤸‍♂️🤸‍♂️🤸‍♂️🤸‍♂️🤸‍♂️🤸‍♂️🤸‍♂️🤸‍♂️

Definitely something to brighten the fact that I've got to spend the next 2 days on strike despite being in total disagreement with it but can't risk breaking it because I work on a closed, nepotistic, stuck in the 1980's mind-set (workforce) little toy railway and I don't like spit in my tea 🙄

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

It was speculative and inaccurate. Sticking a question mark after something doesn't excuse it; especially when you hadn't read what's already been posted. By your thinking I could accuse you of all sorts and phrase it as a question but I'm sure you wouldn't be too happy if I did.

There was no accusation. But obviously you're touchy on this, you're a moderator and this is your trainset to play with how you please, so I'll obviously shut up. And I don't want to detract from discussions on the model, which I am following with interest. 

And I went back - the reason I hadn't seen it is that as the pictures load it often bumps the posts up and down as it formats them inline. I had missed Graham's post and for that I apologize. 

Edited by Nova Scotian
  • Friendly/supportive 3

8 hours ago, No Decorum said:

You are well ahead of (most of) the rest of us with the one on the right!

Very nice.  These have been said to be  "niche" products but I enjoyed seeing them in the 60s coming through Clapham J on he boat trains.  For a "even more niche" version how about "sCC2" in BR blue  in 1948 as part of the next batch?

Edited by GeoffBird
clarification

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, GeoffBird said:

Very nice.  These have been said to be  "niche" products but I enjoyed seeing them in the 60s coming through Clapham J on he boat trains.  For a "even more niche" version how about "sCC2" in BR blue  in 1948 as part of the next batch?

sCC2 was not 'BR Bue' as we know it, in 1948, but Ultramarine Blue with silver lettering and lining... 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

28 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

sCC2 was not 'BR Bue' as we know it, in 1948, but Ultramarine Blue with silver lettering and lining... 

Please lighten my darkness. ’Tis said that the only stupid question is the one not asked. Are you being very polite in repeating the “s” in front of sCC2? Is it a mistype? I can’t find sCC2 anywhere?

• RMweb Premium

36 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Please lighten my darkness. ’Tis said that the only stupid question is the one not asked. Are you being very polite in repeating the “s” in front of sCC2? Is it a mistype? I can’t find sCC2 anywhere?

British Railways put the 's' in front of Southern Railway numbers until the locomotives were given BR numbers.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Of course, so simple. Thank you.

It's mentioned in the "The Southern Way" special No.11 about these locos - if you haven't got it it's really worth getting - re-read mine yesterday.

Have now weaken and ordered the "Southern Railway" version too 🤦‍♂️

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, No Decorum said:

Both CC1 and CC2 ran for a while between 1948 and 1949 with the 's' prefix as 'sCC1' (in malachite green with 'British Railways' in sunshine font) and 'sCC2' as stated above in ultramarine blue with silver lines and lettering (in the same style as sCC1).

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

Both CC1 and CC2 ran for a while between 1948 and 1949 with the 's' prefix as 'sCC1' (in malachite green with 'British Railways' in sunshine font) and 'sCC2' as stated above in ultramarine blue with silver lines and lettering (in the same style as sCC1).

We have around 100+ photos of the three locos on file from a number of sources most in black & white of course, but I cannot recall seeing any shots that confirm the ultramarine blue shade or the s prefix, it would be great to know any photographic sources as we are working on a third volume of Southern Electric Scrapbook.

Kevin

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not sure if this has been mentioned before.

Does any member know of the “rough” dates when the side vents on these locomotives were altered/dispensed with and why?

(If they were provided on one side only, this could explain their “absence” in certain photographs.)

For reference, here are two cropped images of No 20002, the lower being dated as 9th May 1959.

IMG_3365.jpeg.38e47b64675d2106db9f911e055a340a.jpeg

IMG_3364.jpeg.95f97f7430337e9c44fb010979393562.jpeg

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Right Away said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned before.

Does any member know of the “rough” dates when the side vents on these locomotives were altered/dispensed with and why?

(If they were provided on one side only, this could explain their “absence” in certain photographs.)

For reference, here are two cropped images of No 20002, the lower being dated as 9th May 1959.

IMG_3365.jpeg.38e47b64675d2106db9f911e055a340a.jpeg

IMG_3364.jpeg.95f97f7430337e9c44fb010979393562.jpeg

One side only Sir.  Published drawings confirm this.  HTH.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1