Rapido Port of Par Bagnall 0-4-0ST (OO Gauge)

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium

I have decided that this will be an excellent model to purchase ... IF it fits the Loading Gauge, whilst sat on a Rapido Lowmac. That is the ONLY way I could justify one at Seaton Junction; at the moment anyway.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

The preserved green livery was an instant order from me! It would have been near impossible choosing between them, so thank goodness for the twin pack I suppose.

The inclusion of the presentation box and booklet seem good value. Interested to see the arrangements for the scale couplings and bufferbeam inserts mentioned in the description. Appreciate the cutout is unavoidable with a loco of this size. I wonder if any parts behind the cutout or the coupling socket itself could be painted red to disguise it somewhat. 

I didn't see mention of any etched plates in the features list. I haven't had a named Rapido steamer yet, are these usually included from them? Would be a shame if not.

• Like 1

• Rapido staff
10 minutes ago, Tiny151 said:

The preserved green livery was an instant order from me! It would have been near impossible choosing between them, so thank goodness for the twin pack I suppose.

The inclusion of the presentation box and booklet seem good value. Interested to see the arrangements for the scale couplings and bufferbeam inserts mentioned in the description. Appreciate the cutout is unavoidable with a loco of this size. I wonder if any parts behind the cutout or the coupling socket itself could be painted red to disguise it somewhat. 

I didn't see mention of any etched plates in the features list. I haven't had a named Rapido steamer yet, are these usually included from them? Would be a shame if not.

We would like to include etched nameplates (especially in the twin packs) but need to confirm this.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, Ribird said:

I shall be someone to ask this, is there a cover/plug that will be included if one would want to remove the NEM on either end? 

Rapido's website says the models will be supplied with optional scale couplings and optional bufferbeam inserts.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Alright Rapido, you win. I'd been toiling away at Alfred and Judy in OO on my own for the last few years on and off, doing what I can in my limited resources and budget. I get a second wind recently- designing a gear train, chassis, and etched brass rods and details, getting help with finding a good pre-existing chassis just in case- and what do you do? You only go and show off these beautiful prototypes: DCC ready, immaculately detailed, thoroughly researched twins with a variety of liveries, flywheel motor, hook and loop connections, white metal chassis, and more. And I'm rather proud of them!

That's bad enough, but you know what's worse? Even if I can finish my designs in a reasonable time frame before yours release, I'm still gonna throw down my hard earned Ameribucks on two of your finest Alfreds for my Sodor China Clay engines, because you know that I know that I just can't compete with factory-quality fabrication and injection molding. And y'all are smarter than that- you knew exactly who to paint in yellow to maintain Railway Series Accuracy (TM) for goons like me and my 4 other freinds that have pre-ordered two of them. I don't know if it was Corbs that suggested it or if someone else, but whoever it was deserves a raise because they know just how to make us part with our money and do it with a smile on our faces.

The J70's were the first step, now Alfred and Judy. What's next- LBSCR E2's? You might as well, I'm sure they'd be beautiful and Hornby sure isn't doing anything with their molds worthwhile. Heck, go whole hog and make GWR Trojan (or whatever Percy is closest to being idk) as well and completely own our wallets. I'll stand there applauding and throwing my money at you, but I'll do it knowing that you know that I know exactly what you're doing.

So jokes aside- I and my friend group have been fiending for these ever since we saw them this morning. For just being 3d printed the prototypes are downright gorgeous, and the renders have got me fantasizing of when we can see moving prototypes in action and what the mechanism will look like. I'm guessing these are going to be Q4 2024 at a minimum considering everything else revealed today as well as what's already in the works, but I'll be counting the days believe you me.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Rapido staff
53 minutes ago, MoonM said:

Anyone any idea when the darker green livery was swapped into the lighter green. Google shows a pic of alfred in the lighter green by 1970 so mucy be at latest by 1970. Thanks 

We believe Alfred was painted light green during 1969 (thanks to our friends at the Bodmin & Wenford who compiled lots of info).

Judy has been painted light green in preservation but in the early 1960s was in the dark green colour.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2023 at 12:45, SteveyDee68 said:

As a self-confessed addict to collecting small industrial locos or anything associated with docks, this announcement is not good.

Not good at all.

I’m a shunting locomotive addict, and I have been sober haven’t bought a loco for 122 days…

That might change very shortly…

Must resist… MUST resist…

PS

My ❤️ reaction to the original post is not “supportive” … it’s LOVE! 

I managed to suppress the urges welling up within me yesterday, and looking at these afresh today I realised that I had overcome my FOMO and desire to add at least one to my collection …

I mean, Rapido have done quite well off me through the purchase of four of their Hunslets, so I have done my bit to ensure the company’s continued success, I suppose.

I shall watch these models with interest and delight in the joy they will no doubt bring their new owners in due course, but for now the fever has run it’s course and I have emerged unscathed from the other side.

I am a shunting loco addict and it has been 123 days since I last purchased one.

Steve S

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, RapidoCorbs said:

We believe Alfred was painted light green during 1969 (thanks to our friends at the Bodmin & Wenford who compiled lots of info).

Judy has been painted light green in preservation but in the early 1960s was in the dark green colour.

I guess this pic of Judy in 1967 is misdated? https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/w-g-bagnall-works-no-2572-judy-0-4-0st/

11 hours ago, JShow said:

Rapido's website says the models will be supplied with optional scale couplings and optional bufferbeam inserts.

Well thank you! I’ve reread everything so many times, but never checked the actual product pages! 

• Rapido staff
53 minutes ago, MoonM said:

1967 is in the late 1960s, Judy was dark green in the early 1960s for sure.

Exact date of photo is unknown to me, but it's late 60s as that's when Judy got the welded tank and the lettering on the front. The green that Alfred gained in 1969 was brighter than the green shown in the photo of Judy (which is either the dark green shown with different colour film, or a shade in between the two).

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Captain_Mumbles said:

Ahhhhhh

Another month of 2min noodles and bakes beans out of can is in my future again.

If you eat the beans cold straight from the tin, you'll save even more money - not just for the cooker, your central heating won't be required either!

• Funny 2

This is giving me a bit of problem. In preservation, they tend to appear as a pair and I might regret not getting both if I just buy one. I would want DCC sound so......

But the budget is being exploded right now with the Bachmann EMU and the O1s (3 on order) that are more critical to my interests.

Thanks for rounding these up, nice to see. Third from bottom must have been one of the St Blazey Open Day appearances (rather better than my own photo.....)

I'm amused at the sign which says, "WR ENGINES MUST NOT PASS THIS POINT", since by the date given, 13th April 1970, Class 47s from the LMR and ER were reaching those parts (and Class 46 167 from 55A Leeds Holbeck, the second Peak into Cornwall for crew training on the type three months earlier) - would they be exempt?! (The first Class 45, 127, turned up 10 days later.)

I walked along that pavement and under the 'Five Arches' on Saturday afternoon. No sign of any wagons, never mind locomotives. Thanks to the two-week blockade in connection with the signalling upgrade the rails into the docks alongside the road looked rustier than I've ever seen them. Normal service resumed tomorrow.