Hattons Model Railways to close

AY Mod

6 hours ago, Robin Brasher said:

Perhaps we could start a topic for our last purchases from Hattons.

I've still got a single item in my trunk, a second hand Bachmann van. I was planning to leave it there until it had been joined by the items on pre-order. Since I'm not going to get those, I'll probably just wait for the trunk to close and its contents to be shipped to me, on the offchance that I might see something else in the closing down sale that I like before then and can combine shipping.

My most recent delivery from Hattons was a Rapido "Titfield" coach and "G Fawkes" gunpowder van.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I can't remember the name of the shop, but it was opposite Swainbanks near to Marmaduke Street, but it only lasted until the early 1970's when the owner moved in with City Models in their original shop on Dale Street between Moorfields and Exchange Street East.  The Kensington shop was similar to Hattons and had lots of secondhand stuff if you were prepared to hunt around. I just asked my wife if she could remember the name of they guy as she worked for City Models which was owned by a Dutchman if I remember called Jerry but this was at the time when they were at the back of Blacklers but sadly she cannot remember. City Models moved back to Dale Street into larger premises on the corner with Stanley Street before moving to smaller premises in Stanley Street.  Oh and for the record I did not meet my wife in City Models, but that is another story!  

47 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

A couple of days ago they had over 1,700 Hornby buffer stops

I've just bought three and put them in my trunk, it's been an expensive week so far. 

Might I also add that Hattons need great credit for arranging the pre-orders to be taken by Rails of Sheffield.  After emailing Rails a copy of my preorder for a Hornby Black Five on Monday night, I had email confirmation by 0915hrs Tuesday morning to confirm the order was in their system, so a well done to them as well.  

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

The news that Hatton's close down and unwind their business is definitely bad news and not good for the industry sector in general. From a foreign modeler's perspective, one of the best working shops with regard to shipping and customs handling has disappeared.  My first UK 00 gauge model order was a Hornby SR M7 class from Hatton's back in 2007...

However, I hope the S.E. & C.R. P class rerun will be conducted anyway.    

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Guardian said:

The news that Hatton's close down and unwind their business is definitely bad news and not good for the industry sector in general. From a foreign modeler's perspective, one of the best working shops with regard to shipping and customs handling has disappeared.  My first UK 00 gauge model order was a Hornby SR M7 class from Hatton's back in 2007...

However, I hope the S.E. & C.R. P class rerun will be conducted anyway.    

I have got a friend in Holland who is very worried about Hattons closing because Hattons has given some very good service to modellers who live abroad.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

As a Canadian who has been using Hatton's since the early 2000's, the news is very saddening.  With the recently closing/winding down of not only Hatton's, but the Canadian distributor for Hornby (Britannia Models), there is no longer any way to get Hornby products locally.  Hornby have refused to communicate with the local supplier here in Ontario, and the only other distributor being in the US, has put a huge damper on UK outline availability.

Yes, there are other retailers... I've used Rails and Kernow a number of times in the past, and no disrespect to any of them.. few can come close to the level of service that Hatton's has been able to provide over the years.

I hope someone else picks up the Trunk service that Hatton's offered...  I've used it a lot (maybe too much?), and I currently have about 90 items dating back to October of last year, waiting to ship.   I've not shipped yet as I keep watching the 2nd hand inventory on the off chance something from my wish list shows up.. lol

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, br-nse-fan said:

I've not shipped yet as I keep watching the 2nd hand inventory on the off chance something from my wish list shows up.. lol

Same here! As a dedicated FOMO Hattonsist, it ain't over 'til the fat lady sings!

Edited by MattR
  • Like 4

Bad news for the hobby already this year. I can only add my personal situation / thoughts. I'm perhaps one of the younger people into the hobby though not too young at 41 🤣

I came back to model trains during lockdown making a garden oo layout. Since I have collected quite a bit or stock..But near all of it aside an efe 58 and a gifted Dapol bubble has been secondhand, Including buying joblots of flexitrack on the bay . The mrs and I earn decently enough but I couldn't spend the kind of money needed for new stock, dcc, sound...and in regards to used models, the prices of Hatton rails etc have always been a joke..100 plus for a rotted Hornby 31 with bits falling off?  I've always bought from private sellers rather than stores. I do rummage in my local surviving train shops used boxes.

Again only my view, but the hobby has priced itself for the wealthier older generation and perhaps its beginning to show 

Edited by benzino
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Gridiron said:

I can't remember the name of the shop, but it was opposite Swainbanks near to Marmaduke Street, but it only lasted until the early 1970's when the owner moved in with City Models in their original shop on Dale Street between Moorfields and Exchange Street East.  The Kensington shop was similar to Hattons and had lots of secondhand stuff if you were prepared to hunt around. I just asked my wife if she could remember the name of they guy as she worked for City Models which was owned by a Dutchman if I remember called Jerry but this was at the time when they were at the back of Blacklers but sadly she cannot remember. City Models moved back to Dale Street into larger premises on the corner with Stanley Street before moving to smaller premises in Stanley Street.  Oh and for the record I did not meet my wife in City Models, but that is another story!  

I've just bought three and put them in my trunk, it's been an expensive week so far. 

Might I also add that Hattons need great credit for arranging the pre-orders to be taken by Rails of Sheffield.  After emailing Rails a copy of my preorder for a Hornby Black Five on Monday night, I had email confirmation by 0915hrs Tuesday morning to confirm the order was in their system, so a well done to them as well.  

Jerry Van Den something, I am thinking Hauwe but might be mistaking the last bit for someone who played for Everton!

ISTR he was into motorbikes and lived Lark Lane way.

It was pure coincidence that I saw that photo as it appeared in my FB feed under old photos of Liverpool. I normally scroll past them but that caught my eye.

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

I have got a friend in Holland who is very worried about Hattons closing because Hattons has given some very good service to modellers who live abroad.

Yes and at what cost to the business... 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

13 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Jerry Van Den something, I am thinking Hauwe but might be mistaking the last bit for someone who played for Everton!

ISTR he was into motorbikes and lived Lark Lane way.

It was pure coincidence that I saw that photo as it appeared in my FB feed under old photos of Liverpool. I normally scroll past them but that caught my eye.

Jason

Mrs informs it was Jerry van Doerk. Sadly another great Liverpool shop long gone. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Gridiron said:

Mrs informs it was Jerry van Doerk. Sadly another great Liverpool shop long gone. 

Think it was Jerry van der Hoek.  He lived round the corner from me in Heswall on the Wirral.  Knew him well and I have no knowledge of his interest in motor cycles.   He also found time to refurbish a shop unit at Victoria Park in Tranmere where he ran a small restaurant .  He did all the cooking and his wife waited on the tables. A bit of an all rounder. (Alisdair)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

54 minutes ago, ardbealach said:

Think it was Jerry van der Hoek.  He lived round the corner from me in Heswall on the Wirral.  Knew him well and I have no knowledge of his interest in motor cycles.   He also found time to refurbish a shop unit at Victoria Park in Tranmere where he ran a small restaurant .  He did all the cooking and his wife waited on the tables. A bit of an all rounder. (Alisdair)

The van der could very well be correct. My Mrs mentioned he ran a restaurant but until today I was not aware of that, but the motor bike thing could be true. From the same website, City Models & Toys - C M T in Elliot Street at the back of Blacklers.  One of the posters mentions he used to see him on a motorbike.  image.png.571466cb1893cb26e180c383ce47f60a.png

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Gridiron said:

The van der could very well be correct. My Mrs mentioned he ran a restaurant but until today I was not aware of that, but the motor bike thing could be true. From the same website, City Models & Toys - C M T in Elliot Street at the back of Blacklers.  One of the posters mentions he used to see him on a motorbike.  image.png.571466cb1893cb26e180c383ce47f60a.png

Closest I could get to by Google Maps.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.4061934,-2.9800517,3a,75y,202.62h,78.31t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_ilWfkvkCKlrodvC4VFz6g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

How the buses managed to get up that hill does astound me now!

Jason

• Like 1

This  was  the  last item  I  purchased  from  Hatton's  in November  last  year.   It is  currently in the  works and  will eventually emerge  as  50039  in large  logo livery. 

One  thing  I will miss  is  looking  through the  daily listings of pre-owned items,  espessially for  Lima  bargins.  

Thank you  Hatton's  for  the  exellent  service  over  the years. Will definatley  be  missed.  

L205265-PO05_20231120135441_4583747_Qty1_box.jpg

• Like 5

I remember calling into Hattons bigger Smithsdown Rd shop just before Christmas one year when I was picking my daughter up at the end of term- the year she lived on Penny Lane (she moved a couple of streets away for the next couple of years).

The doorway was piled high with mail sacks- several dozen of them.

I commented "You must be expecting a collection" to be told "These are the ones they couldn't get in the van"

Les

Just as an aside, when she graduated the country was moving into recession (2009 ish).  She wanted to stay in Liverpool but needed a job.  What do you do for a job at the start of a depression?  She became a bailiff's court clerk.......

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

6 hours ago, AY Mod said:

On more than one occasion Hattons bailed Hornby out when stock needed a new home before the end of a financial period.

Ignoring that arrangement, I presume retailers don't typically buy on a sale or return basis, otherwise there would be no need for their periodic clearance sales as they'd just send surplus back?

Where a product isn't really selling and the retailers stop ordering any more, leaving the manufacturer with surplus, do the manufacturers sometimes offer discounts to the retailers to incentivise them to try and shift it or are discounts solely at the retailers expense?

Or does everyone just negotiate these things as they go along?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, SteveM666 said:

As expected, taken the wrong way.

I didn’t appreciate them taking my money, sitting on it for up to a week before providing a service. As far as actual delivery, we’ll it will get her when the Post Office are good and ready and doesn’t need any extra delay from the supplier.

I remember the days of “allow 28 days for delivery”… thats after “allowing 10 days for cheques to cash”…

I ordered D824 Highflyer from Railmail, £9.99… thats… wait for Railway Modeller, send a postal order in the post, wait around 60 days and one day a brown parcel was waiting in the rain on the doorstep when I got home from school.

I Still have D824 Highflyer today, 45691 Orion that followed cost me £16.50.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 9

19 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Ignoring that arrangement, I presume retailers don't typically buy on a sale or return basis, otherwise there would be no need for their periodic clearance sales as they'd just send surplus back?

Where a product isn't really selling and the retailers stop ordering any more, leaving the manufacturer with surplus, do the manufacturers sometimes offer discounts to the retailers to incentivise them to try and shift it or are discounts solely at the retailers expense?

Or does everyone just negotiate these things as they go along?

Commercial arrangements are by their very nature commercially confidential so without specific knowledge it isn't really helpful to speculate. Certainly when Modelzone was trading some of their arrangements were sale-or-return, and that's also how the Hornby concession arrangement worked which is why when it came to an end quite a lot of sale stock turned up elsewhere, sometimes in obviously shelf worn boxes.
Other than that, there are two main ways a retailer will discount - either by cutting prices to clear stock, which may involve taking a loss but remember that cash flow can be vital to a business and losses can be used to offset tax on profits so it can make sense on occasions; or by taking advantage of a manufacturer special deal where stock is offered to one or more dealers at a discount price to clear warehouse space. It's this latter approach that often results in the 'mega-bargains' but both manufacturers and dealers know that they need to be careful not to undermine the value of their product.

Deep discounting was an issue for many years that distorted the market and made it hard for small local traders to compete but has been significantly reduced in recent years,

Edited by andyman7
Clarity
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1