February announcement?

NXEA!

9 minutes ago, stovepipe said:

Who would have thought that the humble Brush Type 2 would end up being one of, or even the most tooled UK diesel loco in OO? Triang, Airfix, Lima, Hornby, Accurascale, and now Bachmann.

263 made and 64 years of service has a lot to do with it I'm sure.

I think possibly 42/43, 47 and 52 are onto four or five different toolings currently, depending on your defintion of OO.

I was never a massive of the Class 31 in real life, but for the time and period i'm modelling I should really have at least one on my layout. Also I guess an update detailed model makes it more likely I will purchase. Also of course the 30/31 has a wide range of variations and color schemes, that it probably stand duplication by a number of manufacturers like the 37 and 47.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As per the comments at the start of this thread, I'd like to see the retooled 25 done and dusted and in the shops before the 31. I'll get the 25/1 which will go nicely alongside the SLW ones.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, NXEA! said:

I’d say 08 and 20 are the other big flagship diesels (ignoring the HST which is in the iconic category). Bachmann have the 20 market cornered, however it does feel like a new 08 is only a matter of time, despite the existing Hornby and Bachmann efforts already being excellent. Question is, who will get there first? 

Most diesel modellers manage to justify a "fleet" of larger locos. Not many will have a "fleet" of 08s. So I would be surprised if any manufacturer was hoping to make a huge splash and huge profits with a brand new 08 model.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I do wonder if a fresh batch of 31's for us N gaugers will be announced tomorrow as a result?  Still somewhat bemused (but not in the least bit surprised) by another duplication announcement.  I like the 31, they have a utilitarian no fuss get on with the job look about them, just a pity they were rarer than hens teeth in Scotland which is my main area of modelling these days.

As for my history with the OO variants, I had the old Triang one which went like stink but had a somewhat worrying tendency to get somewhat warm, the modern tooling Hornby one I had one of, it was a misshapen lump that subsequently self destructed, the best of the lot, the innards not with standing, was the old Lima one!!!

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 minute ago, letterspider said:

I would buy the Network Rail version (31233?) if Bachmann could get scale, working IR lamps...

... which may not be good for Accurascale's pre orders

If it's about a 31 please stop posting in this topic.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 97406 said:

I've got a Hornby Skinhead and it's passable, though the waist band is barely noticeable and appears to be a layer of paint!

We get used to the armour plate waist bands on most models of this class, but on the prototype the waist strip was thin metal and at 4mm scale not much more than a thick paint layer.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

We get used to the armour plate waist bands on most models of this class, but on the prototype the waist strip was thin metal and at 4mm scale not much more than a thick paint layer.

Just needed 2 or 3 applications to bulk it up. I've attempted to do the seam around the lower cab roof sections of my Class 81 project by masking off the bottom 1mm, but it needed 3 or 4 coats before it stood out sufficiently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wirey33 said:

Most diesel modellers manage to justify a "fleet" of larger locos. Not many will have a "fleet" of 08s. So I would be surprised if any manufacturer was hoping to make a huge splash and huge profits with a brand new 08 model.

Class 08s were often depot pets getting special treatment and unusual liveries or adornments. Perhaps not fleets, but most layouts will cope with multiples of Class 08s and they'll often have been left visible for long periods of time in stations rather than only making brief visits. Not to mention nearly 1000 of them built

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

As an N/2mm steam prototype modeller I’m struggling to avoid the phrase “first world problems”  when I look at this thread! 😅

Richard

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, NXEA! said:

I’d say 08 and 20 are the other big flagship diesels (ignoring the HST which is in the iconic category). Bachmann have the 20 market cornered, however it does feel like a new 08 is only a matter of time, despite the existing Hornby and Bachmann efforts already being excellent. Question is, who will get there first? 

My money would head Accurascale's way for a retooled 08. 

Of the two currently available models, Hornby's 08 is the better. Looks more refined than Bachmann's, especially in the coupling rod department and in my experiencd of both models, runs better. 

But, Hornby's current model is arguably already passing Accurascale's potential price point and both they and Bachmann seem content to re-release the current tooling ad nauseum.  Hornby seem committed to avoiding arguably the most popular liveries going by their prohected 2024 releases, i.e Waspy green and rail blue so the market is there for the taking........

But........I could of course be very wrong indeed. 

Rob

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I'm quite looking forward to tomorrow, having let the cat escape the sack on the Ped does make me wonder if they have another headline grabber lined up and decided to pre-release the 31 to clear the decks for something even bigger. 

Unless it is a bluff and they did the pre announcement to get us to tune in for a raft of new paint schemes.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

3 hours ago, AY Mod said:

For Class 31 content please head to 

This topic will be closed before the announcements anyway.

Thats a funny looking 31!

anyways back to wish listing for tomorrow! 

Were due another run of 47’s. A West Coast one will do me nicely! A run of Anglia liveried MK2F’s would go down well too. Especially with the DBSO having nothing to run with for the last year or so! 

Outside the box I would like to see a First Scotrail 90! And maybe as a collectors club limited edition the Balfour Beatty pair of 20’s in the new tooling would be grand!

Would be also nice to see the 168/170 turbostar new tooling we were (kind of) promised all those years ago too. Could do with a Chiltern 168 in either Chiltern livery! Im sure the rest of the turbostar options would go down well too!

• Agree 1

One class 37 model that is still missing is the 37/6s with the tunnel lights that were meant to be used on the 'Nightstar' services / Class 373 drags so I wonder if this combination may make an appearance tomorrow as would be new tooling and could be done in both N and OO of course.

Other wildcard would a 4REP making an appearance with accompanying 4TC(s) being released under the EFE banner.

Outside of that only really expecting new running numbers on things like the HKAs / MXAs / Mk2Fs etc.

• Like 1

Well i know what i dont want in tomorrows announcement now......half an hour of it taken up by regurgitation of this Class 30/31 "announcement" padding out the main event.

Just interested in the "additional" announcements. To be honest I dont quite follow why they have done this standalone (yes theyve done it before). It was only 24hrs to the main annoucement so why the early bird approach I really dont know, I mean what difference does 1 day make here?

On duplication i endorse the few other comments here.  The decision was romeo done years ago and what others are announcing was unlikely to change anything Bachmann had decided on.....

I am ignoring the earlier suggestions about the Class 50 and Class 87.  Dont buy that at all most of all the 87.  If they do an 87 I will be there at the front of the queue as the Hornby one is still not the definitive 87 as nice as it looks but I doubt we are going to get another new tooled diesel or electric loco on top of the 31.

The credit card is getting an early night tonight in case tomorrow is a busy day with placing pre orders.

Id like to see a Scenecraft twin track overbridge of the style typically found on the WCML north of Weaver junction after the electrifcation with the pre formed concrete inner supports.

______

/          \

Edited by ThaneofFife
Spelling
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, ThaneofFife said:

Well i know what i dont want in tomorrows announcement now......half an hour of it taken up by regurgitation of this Class 30/31 "announcement" padding out the main event.

Just interested in the "additional" announcements. To be honest I dont quite follow why they have done this standalone (yes theyve done it before). It was only 24hrs to the main annoucement so why the early bird approach I really dont know, I mean what difference does 1 day make here?

On duplication i endorse the few other comments here.  The decision was romeo done years ago and what others are announcing was unlikely to change anything Bachmann had decided on.....

I am ignoring the earlier suggestions about the Class 50 and Class 87.  Dont buy that at all most of all the 87.  If they do an 87 I will be there at the front of the queue as the Hornby one is still not the definitive 87 as nice as it looks

The credit card is getting an early night tonight in case tomorrow is a busy day with placing pre orders.

Maybe there is other new toolings and they wanted this to be stand alone to not overshadow them..

Just watched the Key video and it seems tomoro will feature the 31 details.

Does anybody know which retailers have historically been quick out of the blocks with updating their websites following these announcements?

• RMweb Premium

I would like to see more era 8 liveries off the new (ish) class 47 tooling. I think Heljan launch will spur a reaction from Bachmann. It's a fantastic running loco. Every one ive got is faultless and id happily add more.

Mk2F blue grey coaches which seem to be on a lot of wish lists. Someone is really digging their heels on these.

I always like the new announcement days even when there's nothing I fancy - brings out the big kid in me. Ive spent a few bob lately so my thought for the day will be about the two worse things in life, not getting what you wish for and getting what you wish for.

Enjoy, keep calm folks, we're only playing trains.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Yeah agree they are kind of interesting and ee have to accept that each announcement wont cater for everyones needs.......enjoy the presentation folks.  Ill be starting work a bit earlier then hopefully I can listen in live at 9.30am.

The Anglian Mk2fs is a good shout maybe with a matching Class 90.   Goes nicely with the DBSO thats already out.

Wonder if those new 31s are easily converted to EM/P4.  Its just that to my eye the bogie frames look quite inset.....

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, ThaneofFife said:

Wonder if those new 31s are easily converted to EM/P4.  Its just that to my eye the bogie frames look quite inset.....

That could be the deal breaker between these and the @Accurascale 30/31's 🤔