February announcement?

NXEA!

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure Bachmann will do well with their 31 if the retooled 37 is anything to go by (recent price reductions notwithstanding). It must be a job for the guys to keep tight lipped whilst we watch the Accurascale one through its development process, as it must be for Andy too.

Edited by 97406
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Not really.

We’ll have to agree to disagree - I have D5579 in Ochre from Kernow and I think it’s great. You pays your money and you takes your choice! 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
Just now, NXEA! said:

We’ll have to agree to disagree - I have D5579 in Ochre from Kernow and I think it’s great. You pays your money and you takes your choice! 

I've got a Hornby Skinhead and it's passable, though the waist band is barely noticeable and appears to be a layer of paint!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Goodnight Sweetheart said:

It is however a shame it’s only available on the high spec / expensive option model.

It's a DCC function isn't it?

• Like 1

From the video this new 31 looks to be a lovely model, and I personally I think there looks to be enough about it in terms of quality and features to find an enthusiastic following and adequate "space" in the admittedly somewhat crowded OO Class 31 Market.

Many have commented on the lines of "oh no not another duplication" but there surely comes a point in any project (typically when steel starts to be cut) when a manufacturer passes a point of no return with a model financially and has to continue to production irrespective of what another manufacturer does or announces?

Not being a OO modeller the whole thing is slightly academic from my perspective, but I can see this loco doing very well, and I am particularly interested in hearing the Mirrlees engine sounds, and it would be even nicer if the sound-file were made available so I can put it in my N Gauge golden ochre one, albeit Bachmann never have done that up to now I appreciate.

Roy

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

‘Innovation’……Lenz and others have had this very form of uncoupling method for years, so not exactly innovative, other than it being the first use of it in OO. I’m pretty sure it also needs steel hooks on the couplers to work, so it it isn’t metal, it won’t work despite them saying it will work on everything 

1 minute ago, Roy L S said:

Many have commented on the lines of "oh no not another duplication" but there surely comes a point in any project (typically when steel starts to be cut) when a manufacturer passes a point of no return with a model financially and has to continue to production irrespective of what another manufacturer does or announces?

I'm not a manufacturer but I feel if it was at a basic CAD stage when Accurascale announced their version perhaps a look at the market would have made the higher ups say "Oh they're doing that, the market will be smaller. Perhaps we will do something else or upgrade an older model to modern standards?"

I wish we would have manufacturers announce models as an intention again like we used to, now we have surprise announcements of a model coming out that duplicates. Don't follow OO too closely but it's been a common event for a while now, it almost feels like every company has been guilty of duplicating or a victim of being duplicated at this point.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, County of Yorkshire said:

What a load of tut. 

Compare a Collett C77 ‘Sunshine’ corridor third with a Collett C54 ‘bow ended’ corridor third. They’re chalk and cheese, and would contrast well in model form; especially if the former had proper flush glazing. 

I think late-period Collett coaches are a massive gap in OO GWR RTR. An essential coach from the late 30s to the mid 60s, as well as the preservation scene. 

I’d buy at least a dozen. 

You may think it’s rubbish but you need to take off your railway  modeller specs and look at things from a uniformed business accountants point of view! It’s very easy to claim a particular model or series of models would sell really well if you don’t have to carry the can financially should they not do as well as you think.

Every single model which RTR manufacturers make goes ahead based on an analysis of expected revenue it brings in - not on whether it happens to fill a perceived gap in what is available. That analysis of revenue will also take into account what other products are out there and has to consider the possibility that customers may have already bought said rivals products and consider them adequate for their needs.

So I repeat, with plenty of GWR stock already having been tooled up by Hornby and in the process of being tooled up by Dapol, were I at Bachmann I would be thinking long and hard before jumping into that market segment….

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, 47606odin said:

so it it isn’t metal, it won’t work despite them saying it will work on everything 

'Guaranteed to work on all (current range of) Bachmann Models.............

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

Apparently they have been working on it for 'some years'.

32 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I've known for a couple of years at least which fits with what's been shown today.

I think they said the project has been running for "several years" and the chap in charge of the project was assigned to it a couple of years ago. Sounds to me like Bachmann were working up the project before Accurascale made their official class 31 launch, and Bachmann have stuck to their guns and announced it today

24 minutes ago, darrel said:

Don't see the point in this duplication. If we compare the Bachmann and accurascale 37s both are great models. I think the Accurascale one is slightly better. But in terms of price Accurascale win hands down. 

We will need to wait and see which of the two models is best however I suspect accurascale will win again on price. 

Instead of wasting money creating duplicate models why not spend the money on something that hasn't been done already or improving on an existing model. A brand new class 08 for example or a 25KV emu

The point is Accurascale have a policy of reasonable prices which they tend to stick with. My order for a single Accuracale 31 ~ i think is £267 for a DCC sound version which I assume includes an Accurathrash speaker.  If the SFX version of a Bachmann 37 is £351 witnessed yesterday, then the Bachmann SFX 31 will NOT be cheaper, maybe more.  I wonder how many modellers will be buying the SFX for the auto uncoupler function. 

Good luck Bachmann, but I think you may have backed the wrong horse.  There is no doubt you will be expected to produce a "modern image" loco so I wonder whether you perhaps ought to have tooled a class 81, using much of the content of the existing class 85, or better still gone for the Class 120 Swindon Cross Country - using a lot of content from the existing class 117.

Interesting times    

Edited by Covkid
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Goodnight Sweetheart said:

A positive, for me is this new coupling feature it’s a bit clunky at the moment but it’s a huge step forward in the right direction. It is however a shame it’s only available on the high spec / expensive option model.

It is a DCC function & an addition to the NMRA DCC specs.

There is absolutely no way it could activated remotely on DC.

A 4 function decoder will at minimum need special programming to activate the feature, so that eliminates budget ones which cannot be programmed. Even with a programmable decoder, you would still only have standard front & rear directional lighting available with no option to turn off the rears because you will have no functions left to do it.

It is a whole can of worms kept shut by only making it available with the deluxe model.

• Like 1

The answer to duplication lies not here but in your average I buy what I like modeller. Diesels with a multitude of liveries provide more sales over the years as they buy something different that catches their eye. A black steam 0-6-0 from GE or LNWR is just a black loco and I have Midland 3F already they say. These modellers tend to buy locos and not DMU/EMU some even refuse to buy any electrics as they don't have wires. The trend here can be seen in the number off unique models now RTR such as Hush Hush or Locomotion no1 which again catch these buyers attention. My local shop owner says about 70% of his customers are this type. So a class 31/37/47/66 with lots of eye catching liveries makes a lot of sense. 

23 minutes ago, Goodnight Sweetheart said:

A positive, for me is this new coupling feature it’s a bit clunky at the moment but it’s a huge step forward in the right direction. It is however a shame it’s only available on the high spec / expensive option model. Maybe we should see adverts like cars with a fantastic looking vehicle shown then * saying model shown is several thousand pounds more expensive than the base which is the headline price in the advert.

Hopefully they'll sell it as an accessory pack of 10 or something, right??

5 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

Does anyone know the external differences between the Mirlees engined Class 30 and the early EE re-engined class 21'  ?

The class 30 had different shaped exhaust ports and no grille in the bodyside central door.  When reengined the roof got the rectangular slotted exhausts similar to class 37,  40 and 50. 

The bodyside door grille was introduced for ventilation I believe 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

It is a DCC function & an addition to the NMRA DCC specs.

There is absolutely no way it could activated remotely on DC.

A 4 function decoder will at minimum need special programming to activate the feature, so that eliminates budget ones which cannot be programmed. Even with a programmable decoder, you would still only have standard front & rear directional lighting available with no option to turn off the rears because you will have no functions left to do it.

It is a whole can of worms kept shut by only making it available with the deluxe model.

Talking of decoders, no mention of a lift off roof panel for easy access to the decoder socket

• Like 2

Hmmm - OK - there's 263 (?) of them to choose from as well as later conversions & liveries so ................ good for us I suppose.

Loco-wise, other than the early AC electrics it's difficult to see what there is that could be done new - I mean we're even getting the minor shunter classes produced - so the retailers are now moving into duplication & upgraded versions of previous stuff for the electronic generation of sound & control.

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 1

On the duplication element it is only duplication with the benefit of hindsight.

As the decision to make these items will be made yes in advance the decision is based on what is available then not what will be available in x number of years. Bachmann will have looked at can they make what they believe is a better model than Hornby's if they believe that they can they it makes sense to go ahead. When Accurascale announced then I suppose the question at Bachmann would be, having already spent x are we a) too far along to pull out as that is then expenditure with no return b) will our model still be better and do we forecast that we will still make enough sales to make it viable. 

As modellers wanting ever higher levels of detail we invite manufacturers to revisit popular prototype toolings on an increasing frequency to add the latest innovations and so some duplication is unfortunately likely. 

Edited by Karl
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

I wouldnt expect one from Bachmann, theyve not done it on other models

True but neither have any other Bachy models go DCC controlled tension lock uncoupling. 

• Like 1