February announcement?

NXEA!

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Covkid said:

Good luck Bachmann, but I think you may have backed the wrong horse.  There is no doubt you will be expected to produce a "modern image" loco so I wonder whether you perhaps ought to have tooled a class 81, using much of the content of the existing class 85, or better still gone for the Class 120 Swindon Cross Country - using a lot of content from the existing class 117.

Interesting times    

I've given up waiting for the early AC electrics Classes 81 - 84 so I'm having a go myself, ironically using Bachmann 85 bodyshells. Just completed the 81. Class 82 in IC Executive will be the next one I have a go at. Details on my Part Deux thread so I don't end up sending this one off topic.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, BachelorBoy said:

Aren't journalists supposed to share such "scoops" with the public?

Not when they want to keep “in” with the industry, and more importantly keep the employers adverting revenue thus Job secure!

There’s a fine balance between allowing free speech, negative reaction or criticism on here and keeping the industry happy ie adverting revenue, insight and access incoming. I’d be very upset if I was a model commissioner if my firm was getting very negative comment on a forum hosted by a magazine I paid significant sums of money to for advertising, and allowed access to my firm’s development programs, lent models to for review and supported at trade events etc.

I’m NOT saying model commissioners do this here, I’m just saying it’s a fine line between allowing open reaction / comment and censer to protect the hand that feeds you ultimately.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Looks like some market research has indicated that Classes 31, 37 and 47 are the "centre ground" of British railway modelling, and no manufacturer will achieve supremacy unless they win that ground. That approach is working well in other spheres, after all!

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, locoholic said:

Looks like some market research has indicated that Classes 31, 37 and 47 are the "centre ground" of British railway modelling, and no manufacturer will achieve supremacy unless they win that ground. That approach is working well in other spheres, after all!

Add an 86 and you have pretty much all the main line power needed for East Anglia in the 80s

Andi

• Like 1

It looks to be a great model and as has been mentioned, we’re all coming at this from the knowledge of what Accurascale have done….as are Bachmann. They’ve made the decision to carry on, so good luck to them and I look forward to possibly picking one or two up when they are heavily discounted in six months time or so!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

How do I tell my Tri-ang D5572 it is no longer wanted as there is a newer and prettier Brush Type 2?

As for duplication, buy the one you like or can afford. If you like both and can afford both, think about buying both.

It do look good in the video. And the Accurascale one looks good in the cabinet on their stand.

• Like 5

On 01/02/2024 at 09:26, BluenGreyAnorak said:

Thanks. I'm not sure that even heavy weathering could disguise this disaster though.

I’ve never used IPA to remove letters. T cut is reliable as are humbrol enamel thinners on some . 
id try and t cut the damage and see if it cleans up 

• Like 1

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Goodnight Sweetheart said:

Not when they want to keep “in” with the industry, and more importantly keep the employers adverting revenue thus Job secure!

There’s a fine balance between allowing free speech, negative reaction or criticism on here and keeping the industry happy ie adverting revenue, insight and access incoming. I’d be very upset if I was a model commissioner if my firm was getting very negative comment on a forum hosted by a magazine I paid significant sums of money to for advertising, and allowed access to my firm’s development programs, lent models to for review and supported at trade events etc.

I’m NOT saying model commissioners do this here, I’m just saying it’s a fine line between allowing open reaction / comment and censer to protect the hand that feeds you ultimately.

You're overthinking it; it's just about personal standards.

• Like 5

Duplication of a Class is one thing - there are 263 ? 31's & subsequent conversions / re-numberings to choose from so there should be plenty of individual loco's for both to produce without duplication ...................................

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Ah yes, what this hobby, that just lost a major retailer and its most important trade show, needs is three models of the same prototype by three manufacturers at completely different price points. 

Just for added absurdity the oldest tooling will most likely more expensive than the youngest.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

4 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

You're overthinking it; it's just about personal standards.

Probably, but I’m sure you’ll agree the industry insiders you’ve built a relationship with who trust you to keep mum about future projects will look very dimly on you if you slip snippets out, as I’m sure your employer would do if they lose avenues of promotion and revenue.

Anyway, on topic….will the Bachman 31 have a posh box like the other one, and the lifetime guarantee?

1 hour ago, Tim Dubya said:

Baffling replication (as usual).

I aren't baffled at all. The AS 31 was announced less than two years ago and was at EP stage. Bachmann appear (based on the fact they are announcing running numbers etc. tomorrow) to be delivering at a similar time to AS and so its logical to suggest they were already committed by the time AS made an announcement.

Bachmann probably had the same reasons for doing one as Accurascale, not because of them.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 3
  • Agree 9

I don't understand the negative towards duplication ,

It’s like Vauxhall saying we won’t make a small hatchback because Ford already does one .

The 31 has like 60 years worth of potential model period sales , in a multitude of areas, in a multitude of liveries - if Bachmann think they can shift enough to cover the tooling they will. It’s a no brainer, and it’s getting more cutthroat with these tactical releases .

That tension lock thing is a tad clunky though , kind of shouts “ look at this tension lock !” When I want quite the reverse.

I have 2 accura on order , I’ll stick with the new boys and see what they can do for £169. Bachmann one , no frills, £230 ? Maybe ?

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, scots region said:

Ah yes, what this hobby, that just lost a major retailer and its most important trade show, needs is three models of the same prototype by three manufacturers at completely different price points. 

Just for added absurdity the oldest tooling will most likely more expensive than the youngest.

It does show Bachmann and their parent don’t subscribe to all this doom and gloom rubbish though which is very positive step.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

13 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

As for duplication, buy the one you like or can afford. If you like both and can afford both, think about buying both

In a lot of cases, as with the 37s, it will depend on what the livery/number combos are for a lot of people, especially with more recent ones where things are a bit more unique.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I dont think it needs endless discussion on the whats and wherefores

Vote with your wallet.

You Pays your money and makes your choice.

Manufacturers will learn from what sells and what doesnt.

Buy what makes you happy !

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Look out when they both come out, if you're happy with the Hornby one, they will be discounted like the 56's now the Cav's are out.

£130 DCC ready at the two remaining box shifters.

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

I wouldnt expect one from Bachmann, theyve not done it on other models

They've done removable panels for decoder fitting on the 350 and 158 - albeit not the roof - but still removable.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The coupling would be useful if sold separately, I prefer having such devices on the coaches as then they are only needed on very few vehicles.

That said I don't tend to use tension locks so have built my own auto uncoupling units into various coaches over the years.

Andi

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think the good news here apart from a 31 to Bachmann standards of finish is the fact that they have made a 4mm model of something they have previously tooled in 2mm. Not least because there are is also a 2mm 8F and a range of 2mm LMS coaches that could also be scaled up ......

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, newbryford said:

They've done removable panels for decoder fitting on the 350 and 158 - albeit not the roof - but still removable.

The 90 has one on the roof, although it is screwed on rather than magnetic, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

• Agree 1